Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8 Truggy - Diffential broken

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Losi 8 Truggy - Diffential broken

Hi all,

First, thanks for a great forum. As a beginner in the Nitro RC car world, I find this site very inspiring.

I run a Losi 8ight Truggy with an RB B9 engine in. This saturday I finally had about 2 gallons through it, so started tuning it in properly. I found a really good tune and had a lot of fun! After about 2-3 hours, the car was only putting power to the rear tires

I came home and saw that the bearings on the front differential was completely torn apart(5-6 pieces). This was the bearing that was broken, on both sides of the diff housing actually -> LOSA6948.

My questions are:
  • Is it normal for a bearing like this to wear out and break so fast? As said I have nearly 2 gallons run time on the car.
  • I am not aware of the maintenance requirements of the diffs and bearings. Was this caused be me not doing any maintenance to them?

As a final note, I run an RB 3001 exhaust(torque exhaust) and a 198mm manifold, so the torque output was HUGE after I tuned it in properly. I have considered putting on a 192mm manifold for just a bit more linear power.

Thanks for any replies

/Jim
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim82
Hi all,

First, thanks for a great forum. As a beginner in the Nitro RC car world, I find this site very inspiring.

I run a Losi 8ight Truggy with an RB B9 engine in. This saturday I finally had about 2 gallons through it, so started tuning it in properly. I found a really good tune and had a lot of fun! After about 2-3 hours, the car was only putting power to the rear tires

I came home and saw that the bearings on the front differential was completely torn apart(5-6 pieces). This was the bearing that was broken, on both sides of the diff housing actually -> LOSA6948.

My questions are:
  • Is it normal for a bearing like this to wear out and break so fast? As said I have nearly 2 gallons run time on the car.
  • I am not aware of the maintenance requirements of the diffs and bearings. Was this caused be me not doing any maintenance to them?

As a final note, I run an RB 3001 exhaust(torque exhaust) and a 198mm manifold, so the torque output was HUGE after I tuned it in properly. I have considered putting on a 192mm manifold for just a bit more linear power.

Thanks for any replies

/Jim
bearing wear is normall since youve had 2 gal + on it i would say no worries just fix and go. Its always proper to do a tear down and check bearings often. Clutchbell bearings are anothing thing to watch.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim82
Hi all,

My questions are:

Thanks for any replies

/Jim
i too am pretty new to the nitro buggy ...i was informed today that diff maintanence should be performed after every 3 race days.i did mine today just short of 2 gallons( almost 1 3/4) i found my diff fluids to be rather low. also found all bearings showing signs of wear with the fronts diff bearings and my rear bearing on the frt. pinion actually grinding. i replace all of my bearings with new avids. the avids cost was only a little over 20.00 for my mbx6. cheap compared to what it could have been.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your replies
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Diff and shock oil need to be changed at about every gallon of fuel run through the car. You can go longer but you will also notice that it will drive differently. Maintence is critical to allow these cars to finish a long main. Without it parts fail and dnf ends up your finish spot.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Diff and shock oil need to be changed at about every gallon of fuel run through the car. You can go longer but you will also notice that it will drive differently. Maintence is critical to allow these cars to finish a long main. Without it parts fail and dnf ends up your finish spot.
+1, I do mine every gallon.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Frank L
So I actually have to empty all 3 diffs of silicone oil and refill with new for every gallon? Same goes for shocks?

I had no idea I should do that Would have been nice if the Losi manual had a maintenance part in it!

Any good description for total nitro RC maintenance anywhere?

Thanks again for your input!

/Jim
Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

There's a thread on here somewhere but pretty much diffs and shocks every gallon. Check the clutch then too or before if you feel it slip. And then I change wheel bearings and diff bearings when I service them so every gallon too. If the shock bladders are stiff I replace them too when I service the shocks. Otherwise replace parts as needed. I usually give it a once over before every race day and then again before the main. If you want it to perform it requires attention.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Frank, still looking for a guide to maintenance somewhere, can't fint it