Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
oh no!!,,, the dreaded ultra lx comp >

oh no!!,,, the dreaded ultra lx comp

oh no!!,,, the dreaded ultra lx comp

Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default oh no!!,,, the dreaded ultra lx comp

i race my rc8be every weekend and love it,,,

BUT i came to thinking, and dug it outta the closet, i have a ofna ultra lx comp with about a half gallon of bashing on it,,, my plan is to make it somewhat race worthy and a bit more durable, !!on a budget!!, if ther was no budget id have a race ready rc8b

of course, my 15 oz at 1 second stock servos arent gonna work, so ima upgrade them,, porb ask around n get some used servos (i dont wanna spend 300 for servos on a 250 rtr car)

shocks, im goin with the shocks off the rc8b, they are a tad bit longer, but who cares, they wil bolt up and work just fine,(unless they rub, then mission failed) and they are HUGE over the little ofna shocks

where i come into problems is the differentials, i hear that they are weak and i have already stripped a pair or 2 on just a few tanks of gas, im thinking maybe differentials out of a different car??/ what do yall think, im sure thers somethin out there tht will bolt up and work good that is stronger

for a motor im running beastman himself,, the ofna force ,26 purple top with the ofna 063 pipe piping out the bottom end tq

i dont think ill have the need to hit 60 down the straight, so different pinion will do the trick

for diff fluids im thinkin maybe 5-7-3 , tahts comparable to the hyper 9e s setup, shocks are gonna see 25 or 30 F and R with brass springs

let me know what yall think and please give me any tips there may be to make this thing be kinda race worthy,,, im not tryin to win ROAR nationals, im jus tryin to be fairly competitive with a cheap rtr car
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

its worth a shot but imo your gonna run right back to the rc8 and make it nitro lol
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing about it, parts will be cheap.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Rather than trying to find diffs that fit ... Use this gear front and rear with proper mesh and you won't have any more problems:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBZD2&P=7
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

A Force .26 is not legal in a buggy (.21 max). But maybe the track will make an exception.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

If I remember rite, this car can share some parts with the Jammin x1cr car.. maybe something to look into
Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My first ever Nitro buggy was an Ultra and while it was a great basher and super tough I found it to be useless on a track. They were designed for bashers henceforth the absurdly high ride height. No matter what I did i just could not get it to handle well due to the ground clearence that is designed into it. You have to dial out almost all the roll and droop in order for it to hold a line and that just made it worse. They were made for the park not the track. If I were you I wouldnt waste the time and money trying to get it track worthy. I tried it and it just isn't worth the effort
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

By the time you buy all the parts you could have bought a decent roller. I'd put the money twords a new rig an maybe give someone else the ofna for a good deal.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

ya our track will let us run the .26, its prob slower than most .21s already,, as far as the parts and spending cash, i have everything for it besides good diff gears, im talkin about the gears inside the diff housing, they like to eat theirselves up,,, but again it was all with my mach.28 motor, never with the stock motor

whoever said ill run to the rc8b and make it nitro,, ur prob right,,

id love to say ill update and let yall know how it works, but ill forget, as of now i need starter box, servos and jus clutch shoes and glow plug and im all set to run im hoping for everything excluding tires ill be under a hundred bux to get it going around the track
Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Hey cobaltracer1986,

That's interesting about the internal gears ... I had a Ultra MBX Comp for 6 years and never had internal diff gear issues. It uses the same diffs as the LX.

Anyway, you are going to be hard pressed to get what you listed for 100 bucks. A descent starter box (used) is gonna cost you at least 50 bucks when you include a good battery. Servos, even fair servos are gonna cost you 40 bucks each and clutch shoes (aluminum) somewhere around 20 bucks.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
By the time you buy all the parts you could have bought a decent roller. I'd put the money twords a new rig an maybe give someone else the ofna for a good deal.
+1 and use the money from ofna torwards a new roller or used