Wiki Posts
Search

Best and cheapest Losi tool set for 8ight t 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nmt6789
Don't buy Integy tools.....Bought a $45 set of standard and metric and they are horrendous. Snapped the tip off of the 1/16 after about a month of use.
That's my experience with integy products in general. I had a buddy try some of their shocks on his slash what a joke.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I find it amazing that most here think you need a 40 dollar tool set to tighten a .02cent screw.

Stripping allen screws comes to 3 things, in order.
1. Over tightening. Most common cause of stripping screws.
2. Improper use of the allen. you do know to clean out the mung from inside the head first, correct?
3. Attempting to torque fastener at an angle >90*. If the wrench isn't seated fully in the fastener, it strips.

A high-end proto or snapon tool means nothing if the guy spinning it is a hack.

My 2 cents.

Look at 2 racers. one has all the pit bling tools, one has craftsman. They both have the same tools in the sets, but the bling guy spend 2X as much. The bling guy might THINK he has the better tooling, but the Craftsman guy has an extra 100+ bucks in his pocket. And that is an undeniable fact.

You guys can justify the purchases of bling tools all you want. Unless they are making you money, bling tools are just that. Bling.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've had the same problem with losi tools. I have a losi 8 in 1 driver with 1 bit where the head snapped off and 2 others where the heads are twisted. These so called high quality tools aren't much if any better than anything else on the market. Sure you can twist the head on a $5 tool, but i'd rather replace a $5 tool than a $30 tool when the outcome is going to be the same either way. I'll pay for quality, i've never been one to take the cheap route when it'll cost me more in the long run, but common sense is common sense.

I have no problem spending extra money when its warranted, but in certain cases its just not nessissary. You can buy a set of screwdrivers from the LHS for $40+ a set or you can goto the hardware store and pay less than $10 for the same set with rubber grip handles and magnetic tips. Spending money just to have a certain brands name on your tools is much like the Miller Lite commercial where the guys are marveling on people paying to have a designers name on your bag.

Take for example my problem last week with some set screws. I ruined 2 losi bits and 2 sets of no-brand tools. I ruined the losi tools first. But the outcome was the same and with the cheap stuff at least i'm not out a small fortune in replacing them, they were just things i had laying around. So now i have to go out and replace 3 losi tips which will end up costing me almost as much as the tool in the first place. So much for high end tools :/

Just buy what you are comfortable with buying, nobody in the real world will think anything less of you. Only ex-LHS workers who troll the forums will even care and honestly who cares what those people think? I've met more asshole teenagers at LHS's then i care to remember, each one seems to have a superiority complex even though they are making all of about $8/hr and usually working to get a discount on the stuff they themselves wouldn't pay full price for because they know its ridicoulus.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jwm2
I've had the same problem with losi tools. I have a losi 8 in 1 driver with 1 bit where the head snapped off and 2 others where the heads are twisted. These so called high quality tools aren't much if any better than anything else on the market. Sure you can twist the head on a $5 tool, but i'd rather replace a $5 tool than a $30 tool when the outcome is going to be the same either way. I'll pay for quality, i've never been one to take the cheap route when it'll cost me more in the long run, but common sense is common sense.

I have no problem spending extra money when its warranted, but in certain cases its just not nessissary. You can buy a set of screwdrivers from the LHS for $40+ a set or you can goto the hardware store and pay less than $10 for the same set with rubber grip handles and magnetic tips. Spending money just to have a certain brands name on your tools is much like the Miller Lite commercial where the guys are marveling on people paying to have a designers name on your bag.
Words of Wisdom there Folks.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Storydude1
I find it amazing that most here think you need a 40 dollar tool set to tighten a .02cent screw.

Stripping allen screws comes to 3 things, in order.
1. Over tightening. Most common cause of stripping screws.
2. Improper use of the allen. you do know to clean out the mung from inside the head first, correct?
3. Attempting to torque fastener at an angle >90*. If the wrench isn't seated fully in the fastener, it strips.

A high-end proto or snapon tool means nothing if the guy spinning it is a hack.

My 2 cents.

Look at 2 racers. one has all the pit bling tools, one has craftsman. They both have the same tools in the sets, but the bling guy spend 2X as much. The bling guy might THINK he has the better tooling, but the Craftsman guy has an extra 100+ bucks in his pocket. And that is an undeniable fact.

You guys can justify the purchases of bling tools all you want. Unless they are making you money, bling tools are just that. Bling.
You, I and anyone else with a half of a working brain realizes that extra money in your pocket means extra money to be spent on something else. Maybe a dinner out with the family, maybe a couple extra gallons of nitro fuel, whatever. Money saved is money earned and the ones who save money while getting to the same point as someone else is much wiser and better off for doing so. Its not about how much money you spend, its about how wisely you spend your money.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So no go on the losi 8 in 1 tool? My harbor freight tools lasted about 5 months of racing but at 14 bucks who cares.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well it depends on what you want it for. If you are looking for something compact, easy to carry and will work in a pinch then yeah its a good tool. I don't know if its worth $30-40, but its ok. My point was is it uses high quality tips and even they can break in certain situations. The only reason i'd buy it is its portability, other than that its not really any better than any other tool, but certainly costs alot more.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Storydude1
Direct from your 2nd link above.

Might as well be buying from the snap on truck.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-37862.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...tem-95037.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...set-96645.html

If you are stripping Allen head screws, don't torque them as tight next time. A 40 dollar wrench set isn't going to make a difference.
I have the last set you posted from HF. I have had them for 2 years working on everything from my Savage to Revo to X1CRT and now still use them on my Losi 2.0 Trug. Hell, I even use them on some of the brakes I do on Hondas. They are cheap, they work extremely well and lasted me 2 plus years. Money well spent.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Ok in defence of the Integy tools they are pretty good for the price, there is no way I would ever pay Hudy prices for anything... Yes Integy makes TERRIBLE rc parts, but the wrenches are good and so is their 8th scale setup system both of which cost less than a 3rd of the Hudy equivelant... None of my Integy wrenches are showing any signs of wear and I have been using them for 4-5 months of racing every weekend + practice 2 nights a week...

As far as Harbor Freight tools they are low quality tools they use low quality materials and you get what you pay for... I have had about 90% of everything I have ever purchased there fail in one way or another... That said its a great place in a pinch if you just need the tool to work once or twice...

As far as the Losi 8-in-1 wrench this is my experience... I snapped the 2.5mm ball head off ~15 minutes after I purchased it because I was being carless with a mini screw gun without setting the clutch first. Since then (~2 months) I have had a great experience. My pit space is cleaner and really just use the bits with my drill for quick repairs between heats. The bits are showing very little signs of wear and work great!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Hudy or Losi Tools!!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Suspended

the best part about HF tools?

They now have a lifetime warranty. If you have a HF store locally to you, they will replace them no questions asked.

Try that with Hudy or MIP.

Again, if you are comfortable spending 40 bucks a set, go for it. If you work for a living, buy less expensive tooling.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

There is a reason why you see ALOT of racers with these tools.....

Last edited by token; 09-16-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

harbour freight is junk!

Why would you wrench on a $500+ rc car with $2 tools?

Im a contractor and carpenter for 15 years and have learned the hard way about cheap tools. If you have to keep replacing them you are losing time and time is also money. I am not one of these guys with matching schemes on my car, radio, glow ignitor....etc

I use all different tools and dont really care about brands, but i like rc specific tools. The dynamite set is the best for the money, would be nicer if they were longer, but they have quality tips and should last a long time. If you are a working man treat yourself to some nice tools, it makes wrenching more tolerable.

I'm just sayin
Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Actually whats even better is a hitachi cordless screwdriver with a set of nice tips. Screw doing it manually, it makes my wrists hurt just thinking about it. That way you don't have to pay for multiple handles when one will do the trick and can spend the money on nicer tips if you deem it nessissary.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have an assortment of all the brands including hudy, mip thorpe, and losi. I do like the aluminum hudy ones better because for me they are easier to get a decent grip on. The etched pattern in the aluminum helps. The losi aluminum handles feel like razor blades when twisting hard sometimes. I have problems with my hands slipping on the plastic handles. The other item of consideration others have mentioned is if you ever want to use the tools in a power screwdriver. None of my toolsets give me this capability, so I am searching now for the power tool tips which I am leaning towards the hudy set. I mainly will be using the power route for new builds where the hands get tired of cranking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.