Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight-t 2.0 rear diff skipping teeth >

Losi 8ight-t 2.0 rear diff skipping teeth

Losi 8ight-t 2.0 rear diff skipping teeth

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buggy Master View Post
Here is a tip I learned from someone on here. You can fit 3 additional 5x9 bearing "between" the normal pinion bearings. This will help support the pinion better. Shim the diff with a high spot but not really tight and your SOLID. Never stripped a R/P even racing with a .28
I can't picture this..any chance of posting a pic?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Here you go. You can fit 3 additional 5x9mm bearings "in the space between" the original pinion bearings.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight-t 2.0 rear diff skipping teeth-img_0485.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

Guys, I threw in the new bearings, fixed the slop in the driveshaft, the ring and pinion are also shimmed well, took it out for a bash, and what do I hear again, the dreaded clunk noise..if I hold the front wheels down with my knees, and grab both rear wheels and move them together, I can hear the clunk..I opened up the rear housing and cleaned and checked the ring and pinion, they still look good, no missing teeth, but still it's skipping..the ring and pinions are quite costly, do I bite the bullet and change the housing as well as upgrading to the heavier duty alum inserts also?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, another update, took the rear housing apart to study it further..I can definitely see movement up and down of both the out drive cups which would cause the teeth to skip..now this could be down to the housing, inserts, or this..I found the flange bearing on the diff outdrives have a bit of movement up and down the shaft of the outdrives, I don't know wether this is normal or not but because the inserts sit onto these flange bearings, if the bearings have movement up and down the shaft, then this would amplify the movement once the inserts are placed onto it? Am I correct?..the teeth on the ring and pinion look good but ill replace these as part of the upgrade ..would appreciate any help..btw that YouTube video was great as I have the same problem as shown .
Old 05-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by muney View Post
Ok, another update, took the rear housing apart to study it further..I can definitely see movement up and down of both the out drive cups which would cause the teeth to skip..now this could be down to the housing, inserts, or this..I found the flange bearing on the diff outdrives have a bit of movement up and down the shaft of the outdrives, I don't know wether this is normal or not but because the inserts sit onto these flange bearings, if the bearings have movement up and down the shaft, then this would amplify the movement once the inserts are placed onto it? Am I correct?..the teeth on the ring and pinion look good but ill replace these as part of the upgrade ..would appreciate any help..btw that YouTube video was great as I have the same problem as shown .
Get the alum inserts and shim it tight, Also what i do is put a couple shims on the pinion ( while housing is open ) so that the grub screw sits right at the end just before the lip on the end of pinion, but don't shim too tight on pinion, thread lock the grub screw. I like the idea of installing 3 extra between the original 2 bearings
Old 05-04-2013, 04:09 AM
Tech Adept

Here you go. You can fit 3 additional 5x9mm bearings "in the space between" the original pinion bearings.
I like this idea, but was just thinking would this create more heat and soften the housing after long mains ? have you had any issues
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was in the same boat as you were in. I even sent a video to a TLR driver and he said it was shimmed perfectly! New housing, new aluminum inserts hell even new spider gear case. EVERYTHING was NEW and it didn't last 5 minutes. so..... I had extra buggy diffs laying around so I put in the front buggy and rear buggy in my truggy and the only thing I have had to replace was pinion bearings one time and then regular maintenance. I finished 3rd in the Vietnam Championship running buggy gears and placed 4th the race prior to the championship ( was in 1st but my pinion gears went out ) I don't lack top speed nor do I lack low end grunt it gets around fine and I am only running a 7 port Bonitto. I did leave the center truggy diff in but font and rear are both buggy in my truggy. Adam Drake was supposed to send me a few new ring and pinions since I went through so many at first but they never showed up but hell I am doing fine with the buggy gears. Some might say this or that but it is working for me, if you get fed up chasing a shim try buggy gears, the bevel is different this is why they are shimmed differently than the truggy. One day I had my diff apart 8 times and couldn't get it right. Never again will I try a truggy gear
Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

But no one has mentioned the flanged bearings on the outdrives cups..are they suppose to be able to move up and down the shaft?? If this is loose and has movement, it will definitely amplify the movement at the insert section, wether they are aluminium or whatever..just my 2cents..the outdrives have also some play in them but not much,I've already added multiple shims under the drive pins inside the diff. Are they suppose to have some movement?
Dunno about the buggy diffs, won't that change the drive ratios?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Guys, when you say the diff housing gets soft and tends to warp, are you talking about the casing that holds the actuall diff as in sun and planetary gears, or the actuall gearbox housing which the diff and the aluminium inserts sit in?? Just gotta make sure before I put an order in
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Guys, when you say the diff housing gets soft and tends to warp, are you talking about the casing that holds the actuall diff as in sun and planetary gears, or the actuall gearbox housing which the diff and the aluminium inserts sit in?? Just gotta make sure before I put an order in
The gearbox housing that the pinion sits in. When ever i strip it down changing oil etc... i check all the bearings. After some time the pinion bearings do get hot and melt into the plastic. you can try to move the pinion side to side by holding it still attached on truggy, If it is moving change it ASAP. with the flanged bearing, i just had a look at a spare diff case and checked it, The bearings do wobble in my fingers but not up and down on the diff case. If they are moving up and down, you might have the wrong or dud bearing. maybe try another brand. Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Harryaus View Post
The gearbox housing that the pinion sits in. When ever i strip it down changing oil etc... i check all the bearings. After some time the pinion bearings do get hot and melt into the plastic. you can try to move the pinion side to side by holding it still attached on truggy, If it is moving change it ASAP. with the flanged bearing, i just had a look at a spare diff case and checked it, The bearings do wobble in my fingers but not up and down on the diff case. If they are moving up and down, you might have the wrong or dud bearing. maybe try another brand. Hope this helps
Harry, if the bearings wobble, and the inserts sit onto these bearings then weather u use the stock plastic or aluminium inserts is irrelevant then surely. That would be like me building a house on soil as opposed to a solid footing??
Something just doesnt seem right here
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Harry, if the bearings wobble, and the inserts sit onto these bearings then weather u use the stock plastic or aluminium inserts is irrelevant then surely. That would be like me building a house on soil as opposed to a solid footing??
On all my diffs in 8ight 2.0 and 2.0 E the flanged bearings have this lil wobble . I think when the inserts and diffcase r ok, it shouldnt affect the diffperformance. But for sure there shouldn't be any play up and down.

Just my 2 c....
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

I went through a lot of rear diffs before i done research, was shimming wrong etc... guy named Token on losi forum helped me out with diff shimming. one mistake i was still not doing was checking the pinion bearing and again after 3 race meets the rear started clicking, turned out to be the pinion bearings where shot And had started to melt into housing. not sure how long they where shot, but since then i have not gone through 1 diff, just service. The allum inserts help a lot, plastice melt and wear out quick yes the flanged bearings wobble but seem to hold up for a while on my truggy. But i don't think the flanged bearing should move up/down only wobble slightly. I do think LOSI could have come up with a better design, Still the same on the 3.0
Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Harryaus View Post
I like this idea, but was just thinking would this create more heat and soften the housing after long mains ? have you had any issues
No issues at all.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Tech Adept

No issues at all.
Thanks might try it out

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service