Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
My 5 year old Son wants to race? >

My 5 year old Son wants to race?

My 5 year old Son wants to race?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rcrenew
All you have to do is set the throttle EPA to where he can only give it lets say 1/8 throttle and slowly give him more as he gets used to it. I see a lot of kids that catch on very quick. But limiting the throttle will solve the problem... I have let my kids run my stuff and that what I do.

Regards,
Lance
Rcrenew.com
I personally would like a 5 year old to run sc as sart but dont keep him away from nitro or it will scare him. Not in the scence of scared as noise but it will be intimidating.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4ftracer
This is only one persons opinion.....but I think if you give a 5 year old with no racing experience a 1/8th scale truck with any engine in it, he is gonna hurt someone. Don't get me wrong, getting him racing is great, however you should seriously consider a less aggressive class/vehicle. My son started young with a 2 wheel drive electric truck. I suggest looking into the SC class for him to start. It's economically priced and will teach him throttle control far better than a 4 wheel nitro truggy while being safer at the same time.
Good luck.
+1
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4ftracer
This is only one persons opinion.....but I think if you give a 5 year old with no racing experience a 1/8th scale truck with any engine in it, he is gonna hurt someone. Don't get me wrong, getting him racing is great, however you should seriously consider a less aggressive class/vehicle. My son started young with a 2 wheel drive electric truck. I suggest looking into the SC class for him to start. It's economically priced and will teach him throttle control far better than a 4 wheel nitro truggy while being safer at the same time.
Good luck.
+ 1 IMO . Safer for all ! Ive seen these get a away from adults and cause burns and blood shed and property damage to others and themselves. I have been racing truggy since they came out and like new faces, but he would advance as a driver with something a little more his speed. Kinda like starting him out in a Top Fuel dragster .A couple of years ago, I saw a run away hit a brand new Escalade in the rear hatch and that guy eded up paying over a grand to fix . Just food for thought .
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nothin special
+ 1 IMO . Safer for all ! Ive seen these get a away from adults and cause burns and blood shed and property damage to others and themselves. I have been racing truggy since they came out and like new faces, but he would advance as a driver with something a little more his speed. Kinda like starting him out in a Top Fuel dragster .A couple of years ago, I saw a run away hit a brand new Escalade in the rear hatch and that guy eded up paying over a grand to fix . Just food for thought .

ouch, but doesn't the clubs insurance covers these type of accidents?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default freebee

Originally Posted by Glenwyatt
I just bought a used X2 CRT for my 5 year old and I'm now in the process of getting it all together. I'm new to the racing scene and I've just posted a WTB add for a motor and pipe. A bunch of guys have gotten back to me with motors but I'm not sure what is a good make and what is not. I'm obviously not looking for an all out race motor since he's so young and I would like to budget for around $100.00 for a motor and pipe. I think reliability and tunability are key at this point but correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you guys have any suggestions about which motor would be good given the situation?

How about an AE.28 pro with the stock pipe? Apparently it come from an SC8, would the exhaust work in a truggy?

Thanks guys,
Glen and Wyatt
Glenn and Wyatt,

Email me your shipping address and I will ship you a used engine. Still a good mill that should run untill the cows come home. About any used exhaust should work on the engine I send you. Reduce the throttle EPA to 25%. Please be smart ,responsable and conciderate to the racers at track you learn on.

Hope this helps you and your boy

Kind regards,

RayAracing
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

NO 5 year old and 8th scale................. My 12 son has a D8. It took him 5 years to to get that far.... Started with a traxxax rustler, then a AE T4 (non Brushless) - but point being, my rule was for him to learn how to control the rc before he got a 10lb RC car.............get him a slash and let him learn from there.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RayA
Glenn and Wyatt,

Email me your shipping address and I will ship you a used engine. Still a good mill that should run untill the cows come home. About any used exhaust should work on the engine I send you. Reduce the throttle EPA to 25%. Please be smart ,responsable and conciderate to the racers at track you learn on.

Kind regards,

RayAracing
This is what makes this sport awesome, People that are willing to help one another and help the younger generations learn/improve.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Glenn and Wyatt,

Kind regards,

RayAracing
Ray,

There are numerous companies offering re-pinching services, but random acts of generosity such as this are why I'll send my mills to you.

It's nice to see folks with good character....
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Ray,

There are numerous companies offering re-pinching services, but random acts of generosity such as this are why I'll send my mills to you.

+1
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ray,

+2 (If i could plus infinite this i would).

Last edited by Locum51; 09-09-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Quote fail
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Glenn and Wyatt,

Kind regards,

RayAracing
WOW!!
Thanks so much Ray.
Wyatt says THANK YOU too.

I will make sure he's safe and I'll have the EPA turned way down.

I sent you an email with our address.

Again, thanks a lot.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks for the help!!!!

I appreciate all the help and advise you guys have given and it has definitely made me think. I will continue this build thanks to the generosity of RayA, and I'll make sure Wyatt is in control by having the throttle EPA set at its lowest. If he's unsafe or scared of the truggy I'll be sure to get him into a slower class like SC truck and save it for later on down the road. Maybe I'm a little optimistic about the truggy but I'll make sure if it's not right for him I'll take it down a notch. After all It's about having fun at the end of the day!!

Thanks Guys and thanks RayA,

Glen and Wyatt
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ray,

That was pretty cool of Ray. I will send my first to be pinched engine to Ray. and found out he's only a little over an hour from me .
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default packaged

Originally Posted by Glenwyatt
WOW!!
Thanks so much Ray.
Wyatt says THANK YOU too.

I will make sure he's safe and I'll have the EPA turned way down.

I sent you an email with our address.

Again, thanks a lot.

Your very welcome Glen + Wyatt,
Packaged and will ship out USPS Priority mail in the morning. Please note the factory engine settings are witten on the inside of engine box. Allso,There is a new throttle servo in package for Wyatt.

RayAracing
Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default RayA

Thanks again Ray...You've been more than generous. I'll be sure to keep you up to date with Wyatt's progress.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.