Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing a competition buggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Choosing a competition buggy

I am new to RC racing, but i have been bashing for quite some time. What is the best 1/8 competition nitro buggy thats worth putting a lot of money into?
Ive looked at:
Kyosho MP9
Losi 8ight 2.0
Serpent 811
x-Ray 808
Old 09-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Old 09-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

ya the 808 looked pretty sweet, my only concern is finding parts
Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

I have run mine for 6+ months.. and not broken a single part... have x3 sets of arms.. still in there packets.. Xray Quality is the best.. and prob the most durable buggy on the market..
Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14
I have run mine for 6+ months.. and not broken a single part... have x3 sets of arms.. still in there packets.. Xray Quality is the best.. and prob the most durable buggy on the market..
I would agree with Jamie. You can buy the Kit and some bearings, springs, and clutch shoes and run it for 6-9 months without breaking or replacing anything. the car just does not break. Even if you try to break it it is very difficult to do. The parts do not wear out or get sloppy. Its the most fantastic car in terms of durability ever made. I ran my original 808 for 12 months, twice a month without changing one part. just new bearings and shoes and springs. You should pick up some diff seals, and shock and diff o-rings and some shock bladders just for rebuilds. other than that you need nothing
Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mugen mbx6 is high quality also and an all round great car
Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I would recommend the Mugen MBX6 or the Hot bodies D8. Depending on your budget in my opinion the Mugen is a better buggy than the D8. Both are super tough. The D8 is good because it does not have all the set up optons that the Mugen has. You have less of a chance to over adjust the buggy and get lost in the set up and not consecrate on driving. Ether buggy is competitive and a great fun to drive. My choice is the Mugen and I love driving it!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

I have a RC8B and have raced it for a whole season now, It is a fine machine and have enjoyed it very much, I have a new RC8B now that is going up for sale to buy a 808. My buddy has had his 808 for over a year and all I can say is wow, it is tough and of the highest quality, I am grtting one asap. The others mentioned are also good machines, but do not have the quality of the Xray imo.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by claymonkey
I have a RC8B and have raced it for a whole season now, It is a fine machine and have enjoyed it very much, I have a new RC8B now that is going up for sale to buy a 808. My buddy has had his 808 for over a year and all I can say is wow, it is tough and of the highest quality, I am grtting one asap. The others mentioned are also good machines, but do not have the quality of the Xray imo.
I just did the same thing. Had an rc8b, but got sloppy to fast so I bought an 808.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

all the cars you have listed would be a good choice all you can get parts off the net if you have local hobby shop you can check with them on which cars they carry parts for and let that influence your decision.
as far as which is better you will get a alot of different answers but they are all really good cars
i have onwed all but the kyosho which i am wanting to try but they are little on fragile side for one new to racing
losi in my opinion is very fast car but wheres quicker than others but they work good like that
xray is more consistent lap to lap very planted car although will find your self having a few different shock sets to accomidate different tracks where others like losi the same shock setup works pretty much everywhere.
i think i was more consistent with xray
but i could run faster laps with the losi just not consistent i find the losi to be loose in the back which my overly aggressive throttle fingeer can not handle if you have smooth throttle finger the losi is very good car
Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM
cdc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

losi 8ight 2.0