Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a flameout? what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default What is a flameout? what do you do?

i am wondering what a flameout is? what do you do to prevent it? last question what do you do if your engine is flooded? i know nothing about nitro
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bbrace3m
i am wondering what a flameout is? what do you do to prevent it? last question what do you do if your engine is flooded? i know nothing about nitro
When your nitro engine dies all of a sudden........ there are a number of things that you can do to fix this... could be tuning issue, idle, dirty filter, rock stuck, clutch failure, etc..... to prevent, make sure everything is done right and that will lower ( not eliminate ) your chances of a flameout.

Engine flooded - your suppose to take the glow plug out and drain... I just drain through the pipe.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Your engine dying after a refuel or from loading up or countless other reasons. The ways to prevent it are just as countless. Like sucking an air bubble while refueling for example. To prevent, don't rev engine with tank open.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Flameout is when the engine cuts out and can come from lots of things. Bad tune, no fuel, flywheel is getting hit, old bad motor,....
Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't consider something getting stuck in the flywheel to be a flameout, but maybe my definition is different than others. Also i don't consider loading up to be a flameout, just poor engine tuning or leaving it idle too long without clearing out the engine by blipping the throttle. But thats me.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jwm2
I don't consider something getting stuck in the flywheel to be a flameout, but maybe my definition is different than others. Also i don't consider loading up to be a flameout, just poor engine tuning or leaving it idle too long without clearing out the engine by blipping the throttle. But thats me.
Then whats a flameout?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

When it quits for no apparent good reason. Ie: vapor lock, predetonation, bad glow plug. Things that aren't easily identifiable as a reason for the engine to not run correctly and die. Many of which have to do with a bad tune, but may also be attributed to a loose and worn piston and sleeve or other engine components and poor sealing around the engine causing air leaks, bad bearings, etc.

A rock getting stuck in the flywheel is easy to spot, you say "oh theres the problem", remove the rock and fire it back up. If the engine gets flooded from idling you just put it back on the bump box and away you go.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Flameout: is when your engines stops all of a sudden...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

flaming out means:

your engine randomly dies from most typically a bad tune or other engine/fuel/glowplug or air related issue...........
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
flaming out means:

your engine randomly dies from most typically a bad tune or other engine/fuel/glowplug or air related issue...........

DING DING DING We have a winner
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
flaming out means:

+1, exactly.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

thanks for the input guys
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by token
Flameout: is when your engines stops all of a sudden...
+1
Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

I wanted to ask you what could be the reason of flameout after refueling. It happened to me three times in last main.
Every time i went out of pit the engine stopped working (and it was always after 4-6sec).
I'm using Losi gun but it happened also when refueling with fuel bottle.
It shouldn't be glow plugs fault and i don't have leaking fuel tubing or tank.

It looks like the engine has to much fuel at low rpms but it doesn't - it was running good and the temperature was ok.

I run JPX .21 that has 3 gallons on it (compression almost like in a new engine).

Do you have any ideas? It haven't happened to me before.

I hope you can understand something i wrote. English is not my language.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

When you refuel your tank builds excess compression, then when you close the lid it compresses even more air into the tank which makes you run rich and can flood the engine. You could lean it out alittle more on the bottom end and/or blip the throttle a few times when refueling and just before taking off. Also when taking off be sure not to gun it, just blip it a few times to clear the excess fuel left in the crankcase and then you should be good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.