Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mud Guards? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

wearing the rear tires ? ? ? ? that makes No sense.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah i guess its just a preference, no real hard data on one way or another.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i tried them and now ill never run with out them, helps so much and not mud clogs up your socks or on your axils... worth every penny.
I hate it when mud clogs up my socks!!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
wearing the rear tires ? ? ? ? that makes No sense.
Lets just assume for a second that they do create downforce on the rear end of the car. They would wear out the rear tires more, so it does make a little bit of sense.

*disclaimer* I'm not saying that they do
Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc23
Lets just assume for a second that they do create downforce on the rear end of the car. They would wear out the rear tires more, so it does make a little bit of sense.

*disclaimer* I'm not saying that they do
downforce=traction=less tire spin. so how would you wear tires faster?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Prophet

this is, true acutally i ran with no mud guards on my truggy/buggy and my rear end was sliding more and more wheel spin.

with the, mud guards on it did see to add some weight in the back and my rear end was a lot more planted and i dint notice any diffrence in jumping.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GUS 11g
downforce=traction=less tire spin. so how would you wear tires faster?
Tire spin isn't the only thing that affects how a tire wears. Do me a favor and go get a 2wd buggy and run on a high traction track. Run a small rear wing, then switch to the Jconcepts HD wing and let me know your results.

There's no point in debating it, as there's no way to prove or disprove that mud guards create enough downforce to alter traction.. I'm just saying that in theory, if they do, it would wear your tires out quicker. A tire that is working optimally wears fast. Period.

since Integra is always the first to jump down someone's throat and tell them what an idiot they are , or give him the good old *rolls eyes*, just thought i'd point it out.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Discussed this very thing with a local shop owner a while back.

He wasn't a big fan of them when dry, he too thought the little bit of excess drag would make the car jump funny. He tried some of the Lexan ones for a Losi. He said he couldn't tell the difference until I showed him a high speed pic of his buggy going down the straight. The Lexan mud guards were curved back towards the rear of the car. That gave some extra down force to the rear of the car and his lap times showed it, though it wasn't a big number. .5 seconds faster with them on at the most, still faster. After leaving them on for a while he said the car felt a little more planted in the high speed sections (the extra downforce should do that), but found that he was wearing the rear tires a little more than he liked and took them off.

Now the newer molded Mugen/DE style may not have the same added downforce advantage because they are thicker than Lexan ones. I use the DE ones on the RC8T all the time and do like them most of the time. If they don't help, it's not enough for me to notice. I have many other things to worry about while out on the track.

.5 seconds isn't a lot? Dang must be a monster track
Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Tire spin isn't the only thing that affects how a tire wears. Do me a favor and go get a 2wd buggy and run on a high traction track. Run a small rear wing, then switch to the Jconcepts HD wing and let me know your results.

There's no point in debating it, as there's no way to prove or disprove that mud guards create enough downforce to alter traction.. I'm just saying that in theory, if they do, it would wear your tires out quicker. A tire that is working optimally wears fast. Period.

since Integra is always the first to jump down someone's throat and tell them what an idiot they are , or give him the good old *rolls eyes*, just thought i'd point it out.

well i, do agree with the point about integra thats one other reason why i dont listen to him.

and yes even a little downforce will make the tires wear more i noticed that.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
well i, do agree with the point about integra thats one other reason why i dont listen to him.
A lot of people don't listen to you either...
Old 09-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
A lot of people don't listen to you either...

maybe they dont but i dont insult the person i try to help them a little bit and not put everything down.

but im not urgueing about it so back on topic.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

99 out of 100 times integra knows what is talking about and wont give anyone bad advise. He does need to work on his delivery though
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Lol keep trying bud.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
99 out of 100 times integra knows what is talking about and wont give anyone bad advise. He does need to work on his delivery though
he is a smart guy.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jaz240

i know he does but he could just be a little less blunt thats all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.