Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Most bashable truggy/buggy? >

Most bashable truggy/buggy?

Most bashable truggy/buggy?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Most bashable truggy/buggy?

I posted this in the electric forum as well, but thought it may get more views over here.

I started off in rc with a rustler, loved it, but wanted something a little bigger. Picked up a kyosho inferno st-rr, put a MMM on it, quickly decided that I wanted to bash more than race. I read a lot of reviews saying that the inferno is more for racing. So now that's up for sale, and trying to figure out rather to get a truggy or buggy that's considered more for bashing, or go with a Savage Flux and lose the handling.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Truggy is probably your best bet(out of those 2 anyway) as a basher due to ground clearance and bigger wheels/wider stance to help you get over "stuff" in the bashing world. Buggies and Truggies are really meant to be race machines though...so while you can bash them....they aren't really built to take that kind of abuse. They will take the abuse...to a point.

So the best basher for you would be something you can get parts for easily since bashing tends to break a lot of parts if done correctly ;-)

Monster trucks can take a serious beating in the basher world...and the Savage is a great bash rig for sure!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you have no interest in racing then i'd go with a revo. The reason is the suspension is nice for absorbing large jumps and with a wing they are very capable. If you have even an inkling to race then the losi 8-t is the way to go. Its tough and is very competitive on the race track.

I just took my truggy to the track for the first time this weekend and had a blast. I was shocked at how well it handled, how effortlessly it flew and how fast it was down the straights. There was even one jump that was huge, it would launch my truck about 10-12ft into the air and would land on all fours with very little effort or input from me. I must have hit that jump about 30 times without a single part breaking or showing signs of wear.

They are easy rigs to work on, much easier than the revo platinum i used to have and the parts are just as plentiful. One of the reasons i suggested the revo is because the parts are a dime a dozen and if you go with the platinum you won't need any hop-ups at all, as it comes stock with them installed for you.

Personally i won't buy anything traxxas in the future, but have owned a few in the past and from experience they tend to go obsolete about as fast as gaming pcs. There will always be something better around the corner, thats just how it is.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Thunder Tiger ST1 is a tank and can take a beating.
LST2 is a good one and handels great
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

revo traxxxas all day
Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mugen MBX5T's can be found cheap all day long and are very tough. Yeah it's a race truck but that doesn't mean you can't bash with it.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
Mugen MBX5T's can be found cheap all day long and are very tough. Yeah it's a race truck but that doesn't mean you can't bash with it.
+1 then can take what ever ya throw at em ...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. I think I'll end up going with another truggy, but still interested in hearing opinions.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

If you go with a monster truck, seriously consider the Losi LST2. It's very capable on a track (not as much as a truggy though), also a great basher, and has true 1/8th scale components (diffs, axles, etc..). One of our club members ran an LST2 in the Sportsman Truggy class last year, and had a blast doing it.

As much as I like messing with my T-Maxx, it's as fragile as glass compared to my truggy. The diffs are much smaller than 1/8th scale parts, so are hinge pins, shocks, etc...

If you're bashing, a Monster truck is hard to beat if you want something bigger than a Slash or Rustler.