Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Nitro Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default First Nitro Car

After doing a little research i bought myself a Kyosho Inferno Neo as a first nitro car. I have a slash and a stampede, but i really wanted to go nitro and i heard that this was a solid buggy very suited for beginners, but also a great machine. For some accessories, i bought a glow plug/wheel nut wrench, a lipo glow starter, a 500cc fuel bottle, some after run oil, a spektrum DX3E 2.4 ghz transmitter/receiver, and I will pick up some 20% nitro fuel when the car arrives. What other accessories, if any, should i buy? Remember this is my first nitro car.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wouldn't spend too much on that rig personally. It looks decent, but seemed abit nose heavy. The construction looks ok, although it did seem like they went wild with plastic parts, do durablility might be an issue. All in all its a good starter buggy, probably abit more suited for bashing vs racing.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Tools are your best friend. Make sure you have all the tools you need to disassemble and reassemble the car! Some loctite helps with nitro also!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Loctite only helps when the parts are being screwed into something metal not plastic. 90% of that buggy looks to be made of plastic.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

small screw driver for tuning. batteries for tx and the car. A couple glow plugs. Find out what parts commonly break on that car and pick up a few. Get fuel with really good oil. My first motor died quickly and I wonder if it was due to my fuel choice at the time. Don't ask the local shop what's best, they will tell you it's the brand they sell. Read the threads here on fuel.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

how long will a glow plug last? I wasnt planning on racing it either, just bashing. I know that the inferno line is one of the best in the world, so i figured even an rtr will be decent.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322
how long will a glow plug last? I wasnt planning on racing it either, just bashing. I know that the inferno line is one of the best in the world, so i figured even an rtr will be decent.
It used to be one of the best, nowadays there are plenty of manufacturers which have changed the sport completely with newer technology and better engineering. They claim 7 world titles, but thats stretched over about 25 years. Sure they do have some nice cars and over the years has been the most stable company of them all, but in todays market you'll find very few of them racing nationally at least in the USA. But yeah its a decent setup, and for bashing it'll be more than enough to get the job done.

A glow plug will last anywhere from 30 secs to a full season or longer. It just depends on the circumstances and your tune. I've got glow plugs that have lasted years, albiet most of the time the vehicle was on the shelf in the basement, but still. This year i've used my nitros by far the most i ever have and find myself going through them every couple weeks.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

if i wanted to get into buggy racing, what would you reccommend for a racer?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

8ight 2.0, Mugen MBX6, Hot Bodies D8, O'Donnell Z-01B, Xray 808

The 8ight and Mugen are the 2 best imo. I like Losi personally and have a truggy to match. The mugen is nice and alot of people like them at the local track i go to. The others are good as well. But i'd pretty much put them in that order as far as my personal preference.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 AM
cdc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322
if i wanted to get into buggy racing, what would you reccommend for a racer?
losi 8ight 2.0 race roller
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Losi and Mugen are easy to get parts for. Although Losi is the easiest to get parts for overall. The local hobby shops around me all carry losi parts and the mugens have to be ordered but are available in 1-3 days for local pickup. One hobbyshop close to me does stock Mugen parts, but its the only one i know of out of the 3 nearest to me. Parts can also be bought on ebay for cheap. In fact many times you see Losi parts selling for $.99.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

the losi 8ight rtr is only $50 than the roller, but it comes with and engine, DX3S radio and starter box? What is the difference between the two buggies