R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   hard packed clay/blue groove indoor track (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/429996-hard-packed-clay-blue-groove-indoor-track.html)

dreaux 08-29-2010 05:51 PM

hard packed clay/blue groove indoor track

I need some help on tires here. I have med revolvers, soft gridirons, super soft city block, soft calibers, med crime fighters. I need help with the compound more then anything. I am under the assumption that the harder the ground the softer the tire and softer the ground the harder the tire. cold weather softer tire, hot weather harder tire. but it seems like everyone is running soft compounds not matter what.

I mean i cannot have every tread in every compound that would be thousands and thousands of dollars. So if i need a tire you don't see please clue me in.

uncle everett 08-29-2010 05:54 PM

Irons

Grid Irons

JAMMINKRAZY 08-29-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 7871406)
I need some help on tires here. I have med revolvers, soft gridirons, super soft city block, soft calibers, med crime fighters. I need help with the compound more then anything. I am under the assumption that the harder the ground the softer the tire and softer the ground the harder the tire. cold weather softer tire, hot weather harder tire.

I mean i cannot have every tread in every compound that would be thousands and thousands of dollars. So if i need a tire you don't see please clue me in.

Colder weather, softer tire. Warmer weather, harder tire.

For a hard packed clay track, with little dust, you'll be looking for a small pin. Out of the ones you listed the Gridiron's will probably be the best.

Is the track kept tacky(wet) or is it run dry?

Some of my favorite tires for a tacky clay indoor track are M3 Inside Jobs, M3/M4 Holeshots, Blue 7's, Clay Switch 2.0's and soft/super soft Gridiron's.

For a dry track depending on tire wear, Holeshots and Gridirons are probably your best bet. If the surface is abrasive you may need a larger pin tire to last through mains.;)

dreaux 08-29-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by uncle everett (Post 7871428)
Grid Irons

I just ordered some in soft compound premounted. I would use holeshots but they are good for like one race, and i think the gridirons will last longer.

dreaux 08-29-2010 06:02 PM

the new snipers look awsome as well. But they are still in the pre order stages.

dreaux 08-29-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 7871455)
Colder weather, softer tire. Warmer weather, harder tire.

For a hard packed clay track, with little dust, you'll be looking for a small pin. Out of the ones you listed the Gridiron's will probably be the best.

Is the track kept tacky(wet) or is it run dry?

Some of my favorite tires for a tacky clay indoor track are M3 Inside Jobs, M3/M4 Holeshots, Blue 7's, Clay Switch 2.0's and soft/super soft Gridiron's.

For a dry track depending on tire wear, Holeshots and Gridirons are probably your best bet. If the surface is abrasive you may need a larger pin tire to last through mains.;)

sorry i meant hotter/harder :lol:

blktransam 08-29-2010 06:12 PM

switch 2.0 all day long...

dreaux 08-29-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by blktransam (Post 7871528)
switch 2.0 all day long...

:confused:

rc wannabe 08-29-2010 06:18 PM

switches are good bar codes are really good also

JAMMINKRAZY 08-29-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 7871552)
:confused:

Panther Clay Switch 2.0's. What's there to be confused about?:weird:

cordarrow 08-29-2010 06:29 PM

Uhhhhh....what's the tire of choice at that track???;)

dreaux 08-29-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 7871607)
Panther Clay Switch 2.0's. What's there to be confused about?:weird:

Have never heard of that tire before. I was like "switch my mugen for a losi" wtf?

dreaux 08-29-2010 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by cordarrow (Post 7871627)
Uhhhhh....what's the tire of choice at that track???;)

uuuhhhhh southern nationals first year ever. The track is getting built as we speak. From what i understand it will be a hard packed mixture of clay and dirt/sand. should groove up nicely by the second quals

"Smiley" 08-29-2010 07:32 PM

PL Snipers. Ran them at our local Clay Arena Style Track. Great Tire. Give them a try. I'm bringing pleanty of them to the Southern Nats. Have a good feeling they wil work very well there. PL Calibers, Holeshots as well. All M3 Compound should do just fine.

blktransam 08-30-2010 06:53 AM

indoors this is my list of what "works"

switch 2.0
raptors
sevens
barcodes
calibers