Wiki Posts
Search

HOW DO YOU GET 10 MIN+ RUNTIME???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JASON671
i was at the track for practice today and i gained over a minute going from 7 to 8 1/2 minutes untill it died out. i went with a softer clutch setup, turned up the expo on the trottle and changed to a 6.5 restrictor. the track was wet/loomy. im thinking with the right tires and as the track grooves up it should get better runtime. my motor was running right at 210. i tried different temp guns as well. couldnt beleive my eyes. i feel like im headed in the right direction now. gotta get ready for the quals tomorrow. thanks guys.
going smaller on the restrictors sometimes can make you loose runtime because you have to run it harder to get the same power out of it. i tried a 6.5 in my Alpha and lost a minute so went back to the 7. i would try different restrictors to see what fits your style best.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I get an easy 10+ in my buggy with my B6 2057 combo
Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Stock JS Racing engines will do 10 minutes in buggy with 8mm carb insert, 30% Race Fuel, 086 pipe, and P5 plug.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

As several indicated, there are a lot of factors that come into play. In my opinion, a few of the biggest factors are:
Track layout
Smooth trigger finger
Clean driving

As someone else mentioned, but overlooked often: You can reduce your EPA, which in return will allow you to lean your engine, making it more efficient. Several of the pros actually use this technique, as you barely ever need wide open throttle..... Just something to test to see if this works for you....
Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't forget to keep your car as light as you can, as weight impacts fuel economy big time, a heavier needs more power/fuel to get around the track.
I seen 2 kits the same (mbx6) weighting in 300gr difference between them, the lighter one is going to have a much better fuel economy...
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EBMods
Stock JS Racing engines will do 10 minutes in buggy with 8mm carb insert, 30% Race Fuel, 086 pipe, and P5 plug.
I can vouch for that.. my sons truggy did do 11:30 on a test and tune day... but we still come in on our pits around the 7/8 minute marks... great engine all year...my o.s. gets 10 plus, but also race time its 7/8 minute mark also...
Old 08-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have racked my brain and at this point I am at a loss. The other day I was running my Agama buggy with my Speed in it, got 12:10 on a single tank. I was amazed. havent bee able to do it since, in fact I am running out of gas at about 6:30 no and its blowing my mind how gas mileage can drop like that. any ideas?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by brandundecided
I have racked my brain and at this point I am at a loss. The other day I was running my Agama buggy with my Speed in it, got 12:10 on a single tank. I was amazed. havent bee able to do it since, in fact I am running out of gas at about 6:30 no and its blowing my mind how gas mileage can drop like that. any ideas?
The weather and the trigger-finger.
And if you spend a lot of time on the lid, you will go longer on a tank of fuel
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know my driving style has a lot to do with fuel economy but I am amazed at the difference a pipe can make. I run an 801xt with a Losi 427 motor, 15t clutch bell with an Ascendency clutch with 2 (.9) and 2 (1.0) springs. In the past I ran either a sportworks pipe or an 086 depending on the track, but this year I switched to the Go 2072 pipe and WOW what a difference that has made. With the others if I was not in for fuel by the 6:15 mark I was not making it back to the pit on the next lap. With the Go pipe I now can get 9:45 out of a tank and that is a reliable time. I now pit at the 9 minute mark and not only did the pipe help the fuel economy but did it ever wake up the engine. Down the straight I can run with any of the big boys. I do run out of rpms sooner but on our track that doesn't matter.

People laugh at me when I tell them I run a $550 truggy kit powered by a $150 rtr motor but hey it works and I never have tuning issues!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NorthCentral RC
I know my driving style has a lot to do with fuel economy but I am amazed at the difference a pipe can make.
The pipe does mean a lot! My team-manager tried a Ninja JX21 with a SH 2060 pipe. He couldnt get more than 6 minutes out of it. He then tried the Ninja EFRA-2042 pipe, and can now go over 9 minutes on a tank of fuel, and that's with a heavy trigger-finger. He could easily get more out of it.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nilks
The pipe does mean a lot! My team-manager tried a Ninja JX21 with a SH 2060 pipe. He couldnt get more than 6 minutes out of it. He then tried the Ninja EFRA-2042 pipe, and can now go over 9 minutes on a tank of fuel, and that's with a heavy trigger-finger. He could easily get more out of it.
OS 2060 or Mugen 2042(identical pipes) is the correct pipe for OS engines. No surprise that mileage increased. The right pipe does have a lot to do with run times.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
OS 2060 or Mugen 2042(identical pipes) is the correct pipe for OS engines. No surprise that mileage increased. The right pipe does have a lot to do with run times.
I knew beforehand that mileage would increase, but going from 6 minutes to over 9 is A LOT! I didn't expect it to increase runtime by over 50%!

But okay, SH 2060 is a power-pipe - so runtime does suffer with it.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NDHotbodies
I can vouch for that.. my sons truggy did do 11:30 on a test and tune day... but we still come in on our pits around the 7/8 minute marks... great engine all year...my o.s. gets 10 plus, but also race time its 7/8 minute mark also...
+1 to 8 min pits. I would rather come in for a splash than run out of fuel. My engines all go over 10 mins but I still like to pit just after 8. It's worth peace of mind. Now telemetry that has a fuel gauge is what I'm talking about. Until then I'll just pit just after 8 mins.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
+1 to 8 min pits. I would rather come in for a splash than run out of fuel. My engines all go over 10 mins but I still like to pit just after 8. It's worth peace of mind. Now telemetry that has a fuel gauge is what I'm talking about. Until then I'll just pit just after 8 mins.
Pitting at 10 can be a big advantage in some races...

In 45 minute races pitting at 9 makes the most sense unless you can go 11 1/2 minutes. 9 minute pits would be 4 pits in a 45 minute race. 11 1/2 minute pits would be 3 pits in a 45 minute race. Pitting at less than 9 minutes would be 5 or more pits.

In 30 minute races, pitting at 10 makes the most sense. You only have to pit twice if you pit at 10. If you pit at less than 10, you're pitting 3 or more times.

It is obviously not worth the risk if you aren't completely certain that you can make your pit times. However if you know you can make it, a long pit strategy can be a big advantage. I like to have at least a minute more fuel than I need. If I miss a pit I have enough fuel to make it another lap or two depending on the track.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

There's many factors that go into getting long run times per tank

For me having the right tune on the motor, right pipe, and right clutch setup for the track is one factor. Having a smooth throttle finger is the next factor (usually harder to do but worth it) and is looked at as being one of the biggest factors. Usually doing that much will help, there are many others that can be factored in and will all play a part in having the run time needed or not. I like Jammin's brakedown on pittting in the above post. It does make the most sence if running that long of a main. In my area most club races are either 15 or 20 minutes for a main. Long enough to pit once or twice, but not long enough to win or loose by pitting strategy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.