Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Retired motocrossers who race off road rc? >

Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?

hey guys.
i am 21 years old and have had my third major injury in the last 4 years off racing motocross. In the past i would just do RC on my free time from my moto schedule, but after breaking my femur and spending 7 days in the hospital i feel its time for the tables to be turned. Meaning more RC racing and moto around on my free time.
my injuries arent little ones ie: shattered left ankle (summer 07), torn ACL in my right knee (summer 09), and fthe finall blow from my last crash, snapped right Femur, broken right knee cap and a broken bone in my right foot. So as you can see these add up and only being 21 i figured i should get out of motocross racing while my body is still remotely intact.
Now i was wondering how many of you off road rc guys used to race motocross, quads or anything of that type that have turned to off road rc for there dirt racing needs?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

I was never a pro or anything but i've raced Moto X both 2 and 4 wheel versions for over 16 years before I got to old and brittle for it. I'm loving the switch to RC although I still get sore from pulling muscles trying to dodge flying cars and getting hit by a 8-10 pound car doing 40+! It's not without it's hazards but at least you can walk at the end of the day... Although sometimes it's with a limp!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I know Larry Ward races Rc as I saw him at the Alabama Man. Shootout earlier this year.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i raced BMX and Motocross for years and just like you i had to slow down with the MX due to several injuries.. anyways, the experience from MX would help you a lot as far as how to approach the RC offroad tracks., i started racing 1/8 buggies about 18 months ago and i am doing pretty good my self so far... in MX you learn to think ahead for your next move and that is a big plus here in the RC offroad world., setting up before jumps, going thru rough/rhythm sections of the track,turns and getting around other buggies is pretty similar to MX racing..

Good Luck!

Last edited by D8; 08-24-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Larry Ward does race he lives in SC I see him from time to time he race a lot with Travis Dupree sorry if it is miss spelled.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I raced motocross for years and got out just before I turned 16, not sure why just got burnt out I guess (and girls/cars). The good ole days were when I used to hit the Mini Olympics down in FL every year. Millsaps, Stewart, Chisolm and Matt Boni and I all used to go at it of course with Sewart just checking out most of the time! I was introduced into R/C about 2 years ago and my MX background is definitely what peaked my interest! I still get out my old videos and watch them every now and then and just dream about what could have been LOL!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Larry designed the current layout at 'The Badlands' in the Myrtle Beach, SC
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

I still moto when I can. RC was always my future bobby for when I got too old or hurt for other hobbies (moto, wakeboarding, etc..)... well, a wife and kids really slowed down my moto schedule so here I am in RC! Hopefully I can get back into moto more when my son is old enough to ride himself!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I be one of those retired MX'ers. around 26 I found out I did not bounce as well as I used to. although I raced RC before and all though my moto carreer (off season and such) kinda quit rc and raced mountain bikes instead, then Karts, now I am back full circle to RC, only nitro this time.

I still get my racing rush just like before but now it all fits in the trunk of my car and can store and maintain the rides in the apartment. there is something to be said for that.

there are ALOT of ex moto-heads in RC, expecially nitro offroad. your in good company.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I know damon huffman did some RC back in the day, I heard Villipoto dabbles with the remote.

Larry ward? really? thats cool, what other pros have this affliction.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

I raced quads till I turned 16. Then we just didn't have the money to do it anymore. Bought an rc car and have been hooked since! If I could choose which one, I would choose MX for sure. I know everyone had the dream of going pro someday but I had my heart set to it. I miss it a lot but RC racing is really really fun.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Prophet

oh so thats how, some of guys are so fast in offroad i never raced or rided a atv or a dirtbike it, whould seem like that would be a big advange in r/c offroad.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remember reading that Tebo raced MX until he got hurt and picked up R/C
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by bboard
I remember reading that Tebo raced MX until he got hurt and picked up R/C
Him and Cavalieri both still ride mx. Not sure about racing though. I doubt it.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

jerell gray races mx and he is out here racing rc in the southern california JRBL series.

also i know its not MX but Kevin Barnett of the san diego chargers has also made a few appearances in the jbrl series as well racing with THE DRAKE and team Losi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.