Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What to get? MBX6T or Losi 2.0T? >

What to get? MBX6T or Losi 2.0T?

What to get? MBX6T or Losi 2.0T?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by inferno13
LOSI!!!!!!!!!!!, BUT.....i would get the 1.0 not the 2.0!! i have the 1.0 and smoke the 2.0's at local track, takes too long for them to pit having to change the rear diff and adjust their servo saver.....lmao, or get the 2.0 and put all the important parts from a 1.0 on it

well it depends if your, racing in a sportsman truggy class at a local track than i think a 1.0 t can keep up with guys with 2.0 with a good setup.

well ive won a race, with my eight-t 1.0 with other guys running 2.0 t
now if the track, gets real rutty it can be a problem though.

now i do race in the sportsman truggy, class so there good drivers and ok and bad drivers.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Our fields are that small we generally run pro and sport together.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

I like the Losi and have had mine for about 18 months now and have only just replaced the front cvd dog bone pin and nothing else has worn and its brushless now and I have a new one that I run a nitro motor in and I have owned an XRay 808 buggy and the truggy before the current one and the dogdone pins and the cvd pins etc wore really quickly on the buggy and was really disappointed...xray quality is a thing of the past if you ask me and the Hudy steel is no better than any other good brand IMHO.
Mugen are very good quality and I owned an MBX5T but didnt have it that long so cant comment on its durability and just didnt like the way it drove...you couldnt go wrong with either.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

I went from Losi to Mugen and I would never go back. My Mugen likes to be driven hard. It suits my driving style more and the quality is imo better than Losi.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

TEAM LOSI 8T 2.0

Servos are not an issue. You must use the rubber grommet that comes with the servo and set you EPA correctly. I ran JR servos in my Losi for almost 2 years, no problems, I have ran Hitec servos for over a year and no problems. The only servo I ever burnt out in my Losi is a JR 590 or whatever that number is.

Yes, LOSI like to be "loose". I think there is a difference between "LOOSE" and "SLOPPY."

1.0 is very capable in a CLUB race. But like someone said, get equal drivers and the 2.0 wins.

I think Mugen is a great truck and it likes to be driven hard.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The XT8 does have the wrap of being an older platform because it still comes with an old school body, but that's not the case. It was completely revamped for 09 with a longer chassis, big bore shocks, and several other parts. There were so many changes that Xray didn't offer an upgrade kit, it was pretty much a whole new truck. So it's as modern as any of the top truggies out there.

I'm fortunate enough to get to race with one of the top Xray team drivers on a regular basis. As of now, he's claims he's not running a single prototype part on his XT8. That leads me to believe that there won't be any significant upgrades for next year if they aren't testing anything right now.
I have 2 XT8s and an 808 on the way, I couldn't be happier with my Xrays.

As far as local support, you seriously don't need any. That's one argument I'll never buy into. Run this brand because everyone else does so you can get parts easily. I've got boxes full of spares for my XT8 and NEVER touch them. I've had it almost a year now. They only part I've broken on the entire truck is 1 shock end. Even with it being cracked, I raced a 20 minute main finishing 2nd knowing it was cracked half way through. Then I went out the next week and got in an hour of practice before it finally snapped. All A-arms, hubs, C-hubs, turn buckles, hinge pins, gears, and any other parts are the ones that came in the box and it's as tight as the day it was built.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

At the two tracks I race at one is more technical and tight. It is very close between the losi and mugen, but at the Fast track the mugen really shines. Get the mugen.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Go with whatever your hobby shop supports more. Both are great and both perform well and both can win races.

I own a losi and i personally love it. I would no hesitate at all to buy a mugen.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Here is the proper answer. Both trucks are good.
If I were you, i would ask if one of your local club members would allow you to take a Mugen and Losi out for a spin. But make sure you ask one of the guys that do well. It wouldnt be a fair assesment if one driver is new to the hobby and the other is a seasoned racer. Just tell them you are thinking about making a switch and wanted to see how they fealt.
See which one makes you happy.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Spot on answer. I have raced both. I currently have the mugen. My laptimes are pretty much the same with both trucks. Mugen breaks more often but doesn't wear parts as fast. I think it turns in a little better but that is about feel.

I do notice a difference in buggy though.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Losi vs Mugen

Mugen the losi is a piece of junk compared to th Mugen. My losi is the biggest piece of sh*&!. I would buy the Mugen in a sec over the Losi!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

me and a buddy got truggys at the same time.. i would say i have more hours on mine. i have a mbx6t he has a 8t 2.0

id say his handles better and the front arms are stronger. but it is crazy how much slop the losi gets. i know it drives fine with bit it just looks wrong.

the fit and finish on the mugen is better. but they are both good.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Losi's are faster loose. "slop" is not really the correct term. They develop some play, but they're free and fast like that.
They're always the fastest right before they break - haha! Ask any engine builder.

I started out with a D8, but recently bought an MBX6 over a Losi 2.0 buggy. What sold me was the pillow ball design Mugen uses in the front (on the MBX6T too). Losi's design is very similar to the D8 with a caster block and a spindle, which I do not think is as durable, and it creates more drag between the components. That, and you can get an M-Spec Mugen that's already setup, just add your gear and you're on the track with a setup that's very close to being dialed in.

Also, consider that Mugen does not tend to release a new buggy every year - that alone should tell you something about Mugen's quality.

Either way, the brands are all very very similar, it boils down to whether or not you can set a car up for the track conditions and you perform regular maintenance. Also, if you run an un-marshalled main, you will probably finish 1st in your club race no matter what brand you run!

I think in the long run, the Mugen requires fewer parts to keep it 'brand new'. Just my $.02. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for all the honest assesments,
I would like to "try before I buy", I think the local guy who supplies Mugen parts will let me have a go of his car, and one of the Losi guys is a friendly guy so I will ask him, I just feel funny asking if I can "have a go of your $2k toy"

I enjoy the maintenance side of it and fear that the perfectionist in me will go batty with the free play in the Losi
Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mugen or Losi? Yes. You can't go wrong with either. I love my losi's and parts are a dime a dozen. I've not broken a part yet and they are easy to setup and tear down. I couldn't be happier with my setup to be perfectly honest. I have both a truggy and buggy, and both are rock solid and fly. Imo its like comparing ford and chevy, both are fine its just a matter of personal preference.