R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Servo Arm Centering - Subtrim vs Linkage? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/422493-servo-arm-centering-subtrim-vs-linkage.html)

jwm2 08-03-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 071crazy (Post 7756728)
Great, keep us posted on your findings!

I like turtles.

LOL will do! I might just make some graphs and pie charts while i'm at it ;)

RacerScott 08-03-2010 01:42 PM

On my 8ight 2.0 I like my servo arm not to be right at 90 degress but to be angled a bit toward the air filter. This allows my EPA's to be about the same.

Sein 08-03-2010 02:07 PM

I think the reason you don't see article talking about adjusting the linkage is because that is automatic.

1. Adjust linkage to center servo (best you can)
2. Use subtrim slightly to perfect it
3. Once perfected adjust EPA
4. Done

When people have plus or minus 30 on subtrim more than likely they did not adjust the linkage for the new servo first.

zixxer 08-03-2010 02:14 PM

if you are over 10 points on your sub trim on any servo ..your just lazy ...20-30 points is way out ...just adjust the linkage as close as you can get it ...adjust the rest with your subtrim and call it a day ...if you will adjust your linkage properly you will find that you will only have to use 10 or less points on your subtrim ...look at subtrim as cheating ..the more your subtrim goes up the more you are cheating yourself on a car that is not properly set up ...just my opinion ....the linkage is adjustable for a reason :nod:

zixxer 08-03-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sein (Post 7757008)
I think the reason you don't see article talking about adjusting the linkage is because that is automatic.

1. Adjust linkage to center servo (best you can)
2. Use subtrim slightly to perfect it
3. Once perfected adjust EPA
4. Done

When people have plus or minus 30 on subtrim more than likely they did not adjust the linkage for the new servo first.

what he said ...nice post there ...oh and hey frank ...i think i just called you lazy :lol:stop it you know i didnt mean it that way :p

neobart 08-03-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by zixxer (Post 7757037)
if you are over 10 points on your sub trim on any servo ..your just lazy ...20-30 points is way out ...just adjust the linkage as close as you can get it ...adjust the rest with your subtrim and call it a day ...if you will adjust your linkage properly you will find that you will only have to use 10 or less points on your subtrim ...look at subtrim as cheating ..the more your subtrim goes up the more you are cheating yourself on a car that is not properly set up ...just my opinion ....the linkage is adjustable for a reason :nod:

Sorry but that's not right IMO. I'll explain.

If the servo arm and saver arm are not at a perfect angle, the geometry will be off, causing the steering to be slower in one direction than the other. Also the EPA's will be way off. The linkage needs to be a certain length to achieve this. So what if subtrim needs to go up to +/- 30, that's what it's there for.

zixxer 08-03-2010 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by neobart (Post 7757104)
Sorry but that's not right IMO. I'll explain.

If the servo arm and saver arm are not at a perfect angle, the geometry will be off, causing the steering to be slower in one direction than the other. Also the EPA's will be way off. The linkage needs to be a certain length to achieve this. So what if subtrim needs to go up to +/- 30, that's what it's there for.

i would be willing to bet that anyone here that races on a regular basis will tell you that if you are using 30 points of sub trim you are way off ...whats your sub trim at 40 :lol: everybody has there own opinion ..but i dont know anyone that races that suggests to use 30+points on your subtrim ...im just sayin :lol:

neobart 08-03-2010 02:42 PM

If not using subtrim, how else will you achieve a servo arm and saver arm that is at an equal angle?

paul5790 08-03-2010 02:51 PM

sub t

neo is absolutly correct, bunch of BONEHEADS;)

JayL 08-03-2010 02:51 PM

sometimes if you adjust the servo arm turnbuckle you can shorten it too much for it to have full throw one direction

I always make that turnbuckle the length the manual says, they have engineers...

then make the steering arm turnbuckles equal using calipers

then I drive the car and make it go straight using subtrim

then adjust epa for equal circles, but that's another topic ;) :)

neobart 08-03-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by paul5790 (Post 7757174)
neo is absolutly correct, bunch of BONEHEADS;)

Finally, I was afraid I was gonna have to draw a picture. ;)

paul5790 08-03-2010 02:56 PM

sub t

Neo & jay are:cool::spidey: correct, sub t is for centering your steering horn on the servo, which should be parallel to your servo saver, then tweak the rest

zixxer 08-03-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by neobart (Post 7757146)
If not using subtrim, how else will you achieve a servo arm and saver arm that is at an equal angle?

bart no offense but did you even read my post ? i think it went something like this ...get the arm as close as you can by adjusting the linkage ...then use the subtrim to dial it in ...if you are running the subtrim at 30 points then something else is not adjusted right ....which is why people run 30 points of subtrim ...they dont have there linkage set right ...im not about going back and fourth about it ..there is a right way and a wrong way to do it ....30 points of subtrim is the wrong way ...im sure there are instances when there is no other options ...but im quite sure if you were to ask the top drivers of these cars ...they would probably say that 30 points of sub trim is way to much and is obviously masking another adjustment thats out of whack ...like i say just my opinion and im sure there would be cases where it might be justified ...but not in my world :nod:

neobart 08-03-2010 03:13 PM

Must be a radio setting in my case, cause it sure isn't the linkages. But okay, looks like I read your post a little to quickly.

zixxer 08-03-2010 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by neobart (Post 7757261)
Must be a radio setting in my case, cause it sure isn't the linkages. But okay, looks like I read your post a little to quickly.

yeh thats all i was saying ...not to not use it all but just to fine tune ...might be a radio setting or something ...and hey its just an opinion anyways ....i just know thats what i was tought by people who know alot more than i do ...and its always worked out for me :)

i just shot an email off to get some opinions on it from some super pro guys ..if i get a response i will post it up :sneaky: