Wiki Posts
Search

Pro Line VS AKA tire size

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Pro Line VS AKA tire size

I'm refering to truggy tires. I've always run AKA, but want to try some Calibers this weekend. I know proline has the VTR and LRP tires, which of those are the same size as AKA. Also, how would the AKA foams and AKA wheels work with a set of Calibers?
Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Ok, Well I'm not finding the LRP size, only VTR. So should I go with premounts, or get the tires and mount them with AKA foams and wheels?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311
I'm refering to truggy tires. I've always run AKA, but want to try some Calibers this weekend. I know proline has the VTR and LRP tires, which of those are the same size as AKA. Also, how would the AKA foams and AKA wheels work with a set of Calibers?
Thanks
The LPR series would be comparable to AKA's. Although they are a bit wider. The VTR series is a totally different design. It uses a 4.0 inch wheel and the tires mount up like buggy tires. They are narrower than AKA's. The caliber tread is only sold in the VTR design. You have to use proline VTR wheels and VTR foams with the VTR tires. They will not mount to any other wheel, and the foams are narrower than most other truggy foams. They do make a AKA style closed cell foam now that should get you a similar feel to the AKA foams. The calibers are great tires. One of my favorites for both buggy and truggy. They work well on hard pack covered with a layer of loose dirt/dust. Similar to the AKA cityblock.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Perfect

Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
The LPR series would be comparable to AKA's. Although they are a bit wider. The VTR series is a totally different design. It uses a 4.0 inch wheel and the tires mount up like buggy tires. They are narrower than AKA's. The caliber tread is only sold in the VTR design. You have to use proline VTR wheels and VTR foams with the VTR tires. They will not mount to any other wheel, and the foams are narrower than most other truggy foams. They do make a AKA style closed cell foam now that should get you a similar feel to the AKA foams. The calibers are great tires. One of my favorites for both buggy and truggy. They work well on hard pack covered with a layer of loose dirt/dust. Similar to the AKA cityblock.
only difference is citys last long since you can rotate them with out risking traction like you would with calibers
Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trackstarlosi
only difference is citys last long since you can rotate them with out risking traction like you would with calibers
I never rotate any of my tires and they last plenty long. Calibers last just as long as cityblocks do for me. The stock foams aren't as good as AKA's but the new closed cell foams are good. I also like that the calibers can be rotated to tune traction in. Both tires work well and are two of my favorites.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have some proline wheels and aka super soft city blocks with foams.

Will the wheels work with the tire? this is for my buggy
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Would u guys pick lpr bowties or aka I beams?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I plan on using VTR's alot because I like the buggy style gluing system.
AKA is similiar to LPR but with a flatter contact surface. The VTR's are narrower then LPR and AKA. VTR too have a flatter contact surface.
I have used VTR's with the close cell foams but just trimmed some AKA foams to use with them. I think the results should be pretty good. The Calibers and Revolvers in the VTR format with the standard foams are pretty nice, that being from personal experience.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

I never rotate any of my tires and they last plenty long. Calibers last just as long as cityblocks do for me. The stock foams aren't as good as AKA's but the new closed cell foams are good. I also like that the calibers can be rotated to tune traction in. Both tires work well and are two of my favorites.
i rotate to get more traction not just tire life.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dreaux
i have some proline wheels and aka super soft city blocks with foams.

Will the wheels work with the tire? this is for my buggy
If they are proline V2 wheels they will work just fine.

Originally Posted by Teccmoney
Would u guys pick lpr bowties or aka I beams?
I-BEAMS for sure. I never really liked bowties. I run I-BEAMS a lot and feel they work much better than bowties in most cases. Plus AKA's carcass design and foams are much better than the LPR series.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Soooo... Untrue. I have a set of VTR Calibers mounted on AKA zero offset wheels and the fit perfect.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RJSI
Soooo... Untrue. I have a set of VTR Calibers mounted on AKA zero offset wheels and the fit perfect.
Without modification to the rims they WILL NOT work.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey jaminkrazy, they are j concepts rulux not proline. My bad.

Will those fit my aka tire and foams?

Sorry bout the misunderstanding.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RJSI
truggy or buggy. buggy will work. aka truggy wheels have a bead and proline vtr does not. not a fit for truggy at all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.