Search

clutch bell problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Default clutch bell problems?

hi there,

i need some help quick!!

i have now finished running in my new radical engine and i have fitted the clutch shoes and everything else but the clutch bell.

i normally put two shims in front of the clutch nut and two in front of the clutch bell. but for some reason there is 2-3mm of the shaft sticking out? here is a pic (sorry about useless quality)

i think the flywheel is to close to the engine? should i put some washers behind the collet so the flywheel will move forwards?

everything on the clutch is standard. could the clutch spacer be the problem? i am using the standard one but it seems to have abit on the bottom that fits into the bearing?

any suggestions?

many thanks in advance

lewis
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Yes your right you need to shim out the flywheel collet.. think most try to do it so there is 1-2mm to play with if all tightened down ect so you can shim to your liking on the bell..
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14
Yes your right you need to shim out the flywheel collet.. think most try to do it so there is 1-2mm to play with if all tightened down ect so you can shim to your liking on the bell..
cheers for the help.

how many shims should i put on?

many thanks

lewis
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Um your best bet would be to get some callipers and measure how much you need to move the flywheel ect forward. And shim that amount, or the more timely way is to do 1-2 tighten down put on everything and check.. and add more if needed.. calliper way is the best bet buddy..

No worries, hope it helps!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14
Um your best bet would be to get some callipers and measure how much you need to move the flywheel ect forward. And shim that amount, or the more timely way is to do 1-2 tighten down put on everything and check.. and add more if needed.. calliper way is the best bet buddy..

No worries, hope it helps!
i will give it a try thanks

lewis
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Addict

No problem, will let you decide how much of a gap to leave as everyone has there own opinions on how much to shim or not.. if not sure do some searching