Community
Wiki Posts
Search

front motor bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default front motor bearing question

I run a Novarossi and GRP with losi clutch setups on them both. Is there supposed to be a washer between the collet and front bearing ?? If I remove washer the flywheel does NOT rub the motor, but I'm asking cause I've had premature bearing failures and it looks like the collet is just big enough to rub the inner part of the rubber bearing seal Is this possible......thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

on some of my engines i dont run a washer and have no problems.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

i used to run a washer behind my collet but i stopped doing that about 2 years ago and have never had a problem with it rubbing on the bearing
Old 08-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Maybe

Originally Posted by sleek
I run a Novarossi and GRP with losi clutch setups on them both. Is there supposed to be a washer between the collet and front bearing ?? If I remove washer the flywheel does NOT rub the motor, but I'm asking cause I've had premature bearing failures and it looks like the collet is just big enough to rub the inner part of the rubber bearing seal Is this possible......thanks
But it might be the tightness of the area to be shimmed. Removing the spacer might give you more clearance to shimm the clutch bell properly. Is your gear mesh off? Is the flywheel centered on the opening? Are you eating clutch bearings. You need shims.....but probably remove the spacer.....
Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

gear mesh is fine, I leave it so there is just a touch of back lash between gears. The shims for the clutch bell I kinda do the same, I put just enough shims so I can move the clutch bell back and forth about ten thousanths of an inch, and flywheel is centered in chassis hole......thanks for the respones guys
Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A washer is used if the flywheel rubs the case or carb, it makes clearance, Or like stated it can be used to adjust the gear alignment. not the mesh, but the forward to back alignment. If everything is fine without one then you dont need one. It just for adjustments purposes>
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Lance