Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped >

HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped

HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped

Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped

Was changing bearings in my wheel axles and the set screw that is inside the wheel hex is stripped! Its down in there and I can't get a dremel to it. How can I get it off?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

You can try a Torx (star shaped) bit that is just a
hair bigger that the rounded out hex hole. Tap it
in with a small hammer and back the set-screw out.
A little heat may help soften any lock-tite on the threads
also.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
Was changing bearings in my wheel axles and the set screw that is inside the wheel hex is stripped! Its down in there and I can't get a dremel to it. How can I get it off?
First, take a 1/16" drift pin punch and tap your hex pin out (don't worry, it's tight, but not so tight that you'll do any damage). Then you can get the hex out of the way and reach it with a hex wrench, EZ-out, Grab-It, LH Drill bit, whatever... I keep a LH drill bit in my box just for this. Pulls 'em right out.

It helps to heat the end of the axle up with a lighter too....makes the loc-tite soft.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

yea I have loc tite on it. I will try that
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i see u own a losi, this happens if you dont use a good quality driver.

Take the spindle off the car then The bigger pin that goes thru the axel(the pin that the set screw is holding in) you wanna punch that out. you will wanna put the hex in a vise or something to hold it still, it will take force but wont damage anything. once the pin is out take everything apart so all you have is the axle. heat the axel up right where the set screw is, heat it up really good. the set screw should come out . Ive had them round all the way out where hex driver were just spinning inside and with this method ive gotten it out.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

yea I have loc tite on it.
NEVER...and I mean NEVER on this set screw.

It's not going anywhere anyway.....correct? Mechanically trapped in the first place...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cordarrow View Post
NEVER...and I mean NEVER on this set screw.

It's not going anywhere anyway.....correct? Mechanically trapped in the first place...
no, that set screw isnt trapped, or do u mean the pin. i put a very very small dab of BLUE loctite on all my set screws, i use hudy/eds tips tho
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

I will try these and get back. thanks so far
Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

or do u mean the pin.
Uhhhhhhh.....yeah........fercryin'outloudyouguys.. ..
Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

the pin is only trapped if you never take your wheels off. pretty sure most of us change, or clean our tires. AE does not use set screws on their wheel hubs and those pins fall out all the time
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
First, take a 1/16" drift pin punch and tap your hex pin out (don't worry, it's tight, but not so tight that you'll do any damage). Then you can get the hex out of the way and reach it with a hex wrench, EZ-out, Grab-It, LH Drill bit, whatever... I keep a LH drill bit in my box just for this. Pulls 'em right out.

It helps to heat the end of the axle up with a lighter too....makes the loc-tite soft.
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i see u own a losi, this happens if you dont use a good quality driver.

Take the spindle off the car then The bigger pin that goes thru the axel(the pin that the set screw is holding in) you wanna punch that out. you will wanna put the hex in a vise or something to hold it still, it will take force but wont damage anything. once the pin is out take everything apart so all you have is the axle. heat the axel up right where the set screw is, heat it up really good. the set screw should come out . Ive had them round all the way out where hex driver were just spinning inside and with this method ive gotten it out.
I am going to bump this because it is good info. I have owned 8ights for about 5 years and just had this happen for the first time. I had not thought about using a punch to get the pin out. After it was out and the pressure was off the set hex it came out pretty easy.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
I am going to bump this because it is good info. I have owned 8ights for about 5 years and just had this happen for the first time. I had not thought about using a punch to get the pin out. After it was out and the pressure was off the set hex it came out pretty easy.
Yup. Had it happen to me a couple of times. I found a trick that works for me after the 3rd or 4th time.

I have found that if you take a dremmel with a cut-off wheel and put a flat spot on the hex pin where the set screw sits, you dont have to get gorilla tight with it. a dab of blue thread loc and install it nice and snug. It wont come loose untill you put a tool on it. And sometimes even a little heat helps break down the thread loc and makes it easier.