Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped >

HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped

HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped

Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped

Was changing bearings in my wheel axles and the set screw that is inside the wheel hex is stripped! Its down in there and I can't get a dremel to it. How can I get it off?
jeff_ellis_9 is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (47)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,807
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

You can try a Torx (star shaped) bit that is just a
hair bigger that the rounded out hex hole. Tap it
in with a small hammer and back the set-screw out.
A little heat may help soften any lock-tite on the threads
also.
rageworks is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
Stubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,184
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
Was changing bearings in my wheel axles and the set screw that is inside the wheel hex is stripped! Its down in there and I can't get a dremel to it. How can I get it off?
First, take a 1/16" drift pin punch and tap your hex pin out (don't worry, it's tight, but not so tight that you'll do any damage). Then you can get the hex out of the way and reach it with a hex wrench, EZ-out, Grab-It, LH Drill bit, whatever... I keep a LH drill bit in my box just for this. Pulls 'em right out.

It helps to heat the end of the axle up with a lighter too....makes the loc-tite soft.
Stubbs is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

yea I have loc tite on it. I will try that
jeff_ellis_9 is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
  #5  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (25)
 
losi_racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

i see u own a losi, this happens if you dont use a good quality driver.


Take the spindle off the car then The bigger pin that goes thru the axel(the pin that the set screw is holding in) you wanna punch that out. you will wanna put the hex in a vise or something to hold it still, it will take force but wont damage anything. once the pin is out take everything apart so all you have is the axle. heat the axel up right where the set screw is, heat it up really good. the set screw should come out . Ive had them round all the way out where hex driver were just spinning inside and with this method ive gotten it out.
losi_racer is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
  #6  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
cordarrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 542
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

yea I have loc tite on it.
NEVER...and I mean NEVER on this set screw.

It's not going anywhere anyway.....correct? Mechanically trapped in the first place...
cordarrow is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 PM
  #7  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (25)
 
losi_racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cordarrow View Post
NEVER...and I mean NEVER on this set screw.

It's not going anywhere anyway.....correct? Mechanically trapped in the first place...
no, that set screw isnt trapped, or do u mean the pin. i put a very very small dab of BLUE loctite on all my set screws, i use hudy/eds tips tho
losi_racer is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
  #8  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I will try these and get back. thanks so far
jeff_ellis_9 is offline  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
  #9  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
cordarrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 542
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

or do u mean the pin.
Uhhhhhhh.....yeah........fercryin'outloudyouguys.. ..
cordarrow is offline  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 AM
  #10  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (52)
 
Jaz240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,494
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

the pin is only trapped if you never take your wheels off. pretty sure most of us change, or clean our tires. AE does not use set screws on their wheel hubs and those pins fall out all the time
Jaz240 is offline  
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM
  #11  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
TahoeDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 165
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
First, take a 1/16" drift pin punch and tap your hex pin out (don't worry, it's tight, but not so tight that you'll do any damage). Then you can get the hex out of the way and reach it with a hex wrench, EZ-out, Grab-It, LH Drill bit, whatever... I keep a LH drill bit in my box just for this. Pulls 'em right out.

It helps to heat the end of the axle up with a lighter too....makes the loc-tite soft.
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i see u own a losi, this happens if you dont use a good quality driver.


Take the spindle off the car then The bigger pin that goes thru the axel(the pin that the set screw is holding in) you wanna punch that out. you will wanna put the hex in a vise or something to hold it still, it will take force but wont damage anything. once the pin is out take everything apart so all you have is the axle. heat the axel up right where the set screw is, heat it up really good. the set screw should come out . Ive had them round all the way out where hex driver were just spinning inside and with this method ive gotten it out.
I am going to bump this because it is good info. I have owned 8ights for about 5 years and just had this happen for the first time. I had not thought about using a punch to get the pin out. After it was out and the pressure was off the set hex it came out pretty easy.
TahoeDust is offline  
Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
Jerm13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VB, VA
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
I am going to bump this because it is good info. I have owned 8ights for about 5 years and just had this happen for the first time. I had not thought about using a punch to get the pin out. After it was out and the pressure was off the set hex it came out pretty easy.
Yup. Had it happen to me a couple of times. I found a trick that works for me after the 3rd or 4th time.

I have found that if you take a dremmel with a cut-off wheel and put a flat spot on the hex pin where the set screw sits, you dont have to get gorilla tight with it. a dab of blue thread loc and install it nice and snug. It wont come loose untill you put a tool on it. And sometimes even a little heat helps break down the thread loc and makes it easier.
Jerm13 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.