R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi RTR starter box (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/418354-losi-rtr-starter-box.html)

mikesd1980 07-20-2010 08:14 AM

Losi RTR starter box

Will the buggy or truggy RTR starter boxes start both? I see the truggy box is red and the buggy box is blue. But I am am curious if one box will start both. I also see that losi have another starter box out that cost 84.99. Is there a difference in boxes? I see they both have the 775 motor in them and they look the same except for the pegs on the top of the box.

bacchus 07-20-2010 08:36 AM

yeah the regular losi box has pegs that can be quickly flipped around for buggy and truggy. I have the rtr truggy box and the pegs are adjusted with screws. I never tried to start a buggy on it tho.

mikesd1980 07-20-2010 09:39 AM

Yeah that the only difference I think is the pegs. Is that it? I think that being that its adjustable that it will start both with no problems

RCBOY 1 07-20-2010 01:50 PM

The new starter box they came out with uses a diffrent wheel unlike the old one

NitroXray80809 07-20-2010 02:07 PM

i use the red truggy rtr box on all buggys ive had losi, xray and all they are really no diffrent

UltegraSTI 07-20-2010 05:33 PM

they will start both and in fact after a while u dont need the pegs u just know where to land the car to bump it. admittedly if u dont have 1 already. it seems that there's been a rash of QT probs w/the boxes shredding the small gear reduction pulley. mine 2nd box shred on 1st hit crazy stuff. horizon sent me the parts but while waitin i went and bought the truggy box from ofna. honestly i have yet to put the RTR box back together w/the correct parts. likely just offload it for a race fee to a friend who could use the box as backup to his losi box.

food for thought if u havent purchased yet.

R

mikesd1980 07-20-2010 08:28 PM

I have a ofna truggy starter box but the on and off switch went. I saw this box and was curious. So if ordered the blue starter box but I won't get it till Thursday. I will try it when I get it. I might just order another ofna box. Just wanted to give this a try for 35 bucks new. Can't really beat the price for testing.

jmaxey51 07-20-2010 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikesd1980 (Post 7697611)
I have a ofna truggy starter box but the on and off switch went. I saw this box and was curious. So if ordered the blue starter box but I won't get it till Thursday. I will try it when I get it. I might just order another ofna box. Just wanted to give this a try for 35 bucks new. Can't really beat the price for testing.

why not just go to pep boys or walmart and get a switch for the box you already have? or just straight wire it??? :confused:

mikesd1980 07-21-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 (Post 7697953)
why not just go to pep boys or walmart and get a switch for the box you already have? or just straight wire it??? :confused:

I think the motors was on there way out already. It was turning alot slower than before on a full charge. Dont really know to bypass the switch. Sounds like a good idea. i will look at it when I get home.

Frank L 07-21-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mikesd1980 (Post 7699843)
I think the motors was on there way out already. It was turning alot slower than before on a full charge. Dont really know to bypass the switch. Sounds like a good idea. i will look at it when I get home.

How long have you had it and how often do you race?

mikesd1980 07-21-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 7699862)
How long have you had it and how often do you race?

I race about 4 times a month and I use it buggy and truggy. I had the box since Mar 2009.

JayRC66 07-22-2010 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by mikesd1980 (Post 7697611)

Replace the switch. cheaper than buying a new one.

JayRC66 07-22-2010 02:50 AM

I got 2 LOSI starter boxes. One is all black with the LOSI logo on it. This one is especially made for the losi 8ight 2.0 truggy and buggy. For the buggy you leave the front peg alone. For the rear you make sure the pegs are slid towards the middle of the box.

For the truggy you turn the front peg a full 180 degree so some of it is sticking out the box. For the rear pegs, you press down on a button and push it out (left) away from the box.

The 2nd box I have is also LOSI but its all in blue with an open bottom. That one has pegs as well. It is not as simple as teh first.

FYI rewired my boxes to use LIPO 14.8V @5000mah with sound alarms. Less weight to carry around. If interested I will post some pictures.