Search

Reusing engine bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Default Reusing engine bearings

Gentlemen.

I friend of my, asked me a question, but I couldn't answer him 100% safe:

He needs a new rear bearing in his Orion engine (25,4 mm). He has an OS Vspec, that hasn't run very much (ruined piston). He asked me, if he could take the OS bearing out and put it into the Orion.

I suggested him to buy a new bearing (and a front bearing too). Personal I never heated up a bearing to 200º C, because I afraid it would destroy the bearing.

Can 200º C destroy a bearing? I'll assume the bearing never get that hot in a running engine.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Tech Regular

Taking a bearing out by heating the engine to 200C will not ruin the bearing.
They are made of STEEL (or ceramic) and will hold up for a much higher temperature than that.
BUT, I would still try to talk him into buying two new bearings (front and rear) unless he has an extremely tight budget
If you are going to re-use the bearing make sure to not use any tools when getting it out and also make sure to clean it very very well.
Some denatured alcohol (do you have T-Röd in Denmark?) and then rince it with lots and lots of hot water in the sink, re-oil it and mount it.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

it could work out fine but only if the orion is not his main motor. ive done it to mutt motors and they run fine for a couple gallons. also all the time and effort to get the 2 motors appart and re-assembled is a pain. you can get the ceramic main bearing for about $30 so i would just go new and run 1 slightly rich tank on the track to break it in. it will be a bit rough at first but will smooth out.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Get some new bearings.
If the OS v-spec got a ruinend piston and sleeve then the debris of that would have gone trew the bearing also.
I wouldend take that change, get some TKO ceramics and you will be good to go.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Hi.

Thanks guys

He did buy new bearings and everything is fine.

Back to heated bearing: I was afraid of the sealing on the front bearing and the cage (ball holder???) on the rear, because they are normally made of non-steel material.

Swede: Yep, we got that type of alcohol here in DK. I normally use petroleum, because that takes away the dirt but leaves the fine oil-film on the material.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Dane: Petroleum is OK but I'd rather prefer a pure cleaning with no residue and then add what I want for that particular item. If its a bearing I add bearing lube or grease, if it's plastic I don't want anything left on there and you can drink that stuff too..... NOT! (you got Tuborg, right? )
Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Klimpen717
Dane: Petroleum is OK but I'd rather prefer a pure cleaning with no residue and then add what I want for that particular item. If its a bearing I add bearing lube or grease, if it's plastic I don't want anything left on there and you can drink that stuff too..... NOT! (you got Tuborg, right? )
Thanks Swede

Yep, we got Tuborg beer. Sadly, you'll get drunk after only one Tuborg!... You have to drink 10 Carlsberg to get rid of the Tuborg taste!!!

Cheers
Old 07-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Use a being puller it just makes life so much easier. The grp kit was king and now i see hudy has one out too. It's $$$ well spent.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank L
Use a being puller it just makes life so much easier. The grp kit was king and now i see hudy has one out too. It's $$$ well spent.
What do you mean? What is a "being puller"?