Wiki Posts
Search

LRP 28 SPEC 3 Disassemble

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LRP 28 SPEC 3 Disassemble

If this has already been explained, please forgive me.....
I am trying to get the piston and rod out of my LRP. Since I have the pull-start version the pin that the rod goes on is longer then "normal". Because of this, how do I get this apart, I want to grind down the pin since I'm ditching the pull start. I have taken many engines apart over the years, this is the first pull-start engine. I must be getting dumber as I get older......
Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

even if you grind the pull start pin down, that rod is going to be a bear to get out. It takes some serious patience and know how...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

LRP and Dynamite sell a backplate that is made to clear the pullstart crankpin. I used one myself, no issues. It was on a Dynamite Platinum .28. That backplate will fit the LRP, same manufactuer and the engines are almost identical internally.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Now I find out about the Dynamite backplate........ I've already ordered the LRP... I will probably try to send it back. If not maybe I'll take it into work and see what our machine shop can do for me.... A cup of coffee can get you almost anything.

I tried doing a little heating hoping that might help, but no luck. I might try the oven tomorrow, the wife should be out of town..........
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Adept

Did you take the sleeve out? It makes the piston get more play. I took it out a while ago without any issues as for what I can remember
Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yep, I removed the sleeve. I don't know what I'm not doing correct, I've never had this much trouble with any of the engines I've talen apart before (21's, 12's even 15's from 235mm days)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Put the flywheel back on the crankshaft and tighten it up. That helps a lot. Trust me I have run into a few that did not want to come off without a fight. Sometimes a little more elbow grease is required....lol. While you have it torn down order new bearings for it. The main bearing is usally the first thing to fail in the LRPs and Dynamites.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

ScroggJL21, thanks. The flywheel did the trick. There must be enough play that by installing the flywheel, it pulls all of the slop out. Weird, but it worked...