Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Turning Wheels MID JUMP/ In Air ? >

Turning Wheels MID JUMP/ In Air ?

Turning Wheels MID JUMP/ In Air ?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

I personally dont think turning the wheels in flight after a straught launch does much except for making urself look cool.......... what DOES do alot for setting up a landing at the right place or angle is giving the car a tiny twitch either way just as you leave the jump...... gets the car rotating in the air...... the rest of it is just for show and maybe have the wheels pointed in the right direction ............... flame suit on......
Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

The first lap on that video looks like bubba stewart on a supercross track scrubbing the jumps
Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I will do that just to correct a bad jump.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
I think they whip the back around to scrub speed down just before take off so they don't overshoot. Either way, it looks cool
when i raced motocross i didnt really whip the back out much, just leaned it over and turned the bars

same goes with RC flick the steering right before you leave and see how low you'll stay but then again thats alot easer said than done
Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
The terms are "Scrubbing" "Tail whip" or "Whipping" and "Flying" (as in flying the car mid air)

Scrubbing; Is used to get the car to come off of the jump in a desired angle. To land the car pointed into a corner. "Flying the car" is needed in most cases to land correctly.

Whipping; Is the use of scrubbing but coming off of the jump face straight, slightly steering one way and then going full lock the other direction to gyroscopically kick the rear end out. This allows you to scrub, without interfering with another car that may be coming off of the same jump.

Flying; Is a general term used to describe the use of steering, throttle, brakes or all three in mid air.
Thanks very much guys, big help and i now understand how to properly do it and when.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Quad and Jmax have it right. In motoX they use that to stay low and actually prevent slowing too much in the air. Your ALWAYS faster on the ground than in the air! Just my MX experience talking.... still new to RC!

Not to say its faster to single out than tripling just that extra air will slow you down with drag and trajectory...

My $.02
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
It's used to control the car mid-flight. I was watching some ROAR races on youtube and not sure how I came across this video, but it shows some pretty good car control. Check the last double in front of the drivers stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Yr5...eature=related
thats my local track, when that layout was there it was trippy sitting at the end of the front and watching him land sideways
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtloJ...eature=related

Watch at :45. I have been trying to steer in the air more like that to help me in iffy situations. Now when the car gets out of shape on the jump, I don't have a major heart attack. I just fix it.

Yes it does look super awesome, but I do feel more comfortable driving now.

Brad
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

its cool and it does help. on a short double into a turn you can turn off the lip of the jump in the direction you want to turn at the lander, you can get about 45 degrees turned in the air (the more angle the less stable landing) and when you land you are most of the way around the corner. on bigger jumps or triples you can jump straight and turn the wheels opposite of how you want to turn when you land, just before you land you turn the wheels back in the direction you want to go. the earlier you turn the wheels the more angle you can get out of it. you have to do this one only if the car is jumping straight, if you have to correct the nose up/down while the wheels are turned the car will get sideways and wreck. it is helpful but very tricky, i try to limit it to 2 times per lap and just focus on staying right side up.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Plus, it keeps your APM(action per minute) high during a race.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you think turning you wheels in mid air or before you leave the jump (scrub) does not help, you are not racing at your full potential or you are racing in europe with no jumps. Just watch someone like Ryan Maifield he does it second nature, it is part of his driving style and on Supercross style track it is a must. If you watch the video you can see Ryan fly (correct) the car with his front wheels then scrub the second double.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The main reason for doing it in MX is to change lines. It wasn't until the last few years that riders made a major effort to scrub speed. It has been don't for a while, but not to the extent it is now. This is for several reasons I'm not going into now. You really aren't going to scrub much with and rc car, but you can change lines. A slight turn on the face of the jump will allow you to change lines in the air. You can hit the outside line on the face of a big jump and turn to the inside to set you up for the next corner. I did it all the time in MX but haven't found many places to use that in RC. not to mention it is a lot more difficult to hit the same line lap after lap in RC.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you can stay alot lower with RC too. seen it done alot....
Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311
The main reason for doing it in MX is to change lines. It wasn't until the last few years that riders made a major effort to scrub speed. It has been don't for a while, but not to the extent it is now. This is for several reasons I'm not going into now. You really aren't going to scrub much with and rc car, but you can change lines. A slight turn on the face of the jump will allow you to change lines in the air. You can hit the outside line on the face of a big jump and turn to the inside to set you up for the next corner. I did it all the time in MX but haven't found many places to use that in RC. not to mention it is a lot more difficult to hit the same line lap after lap in RC.
I can tell you that the main reason most Mx'ers do it is to scrub the jump to scrub off airtime to stay close to the ground so they can maintain their speed more and go faster. Not to change lines. Yea, that's probably a good way to change lines but that isn't the main reason they scrub.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Levels the car out and helps you as a driver not to blow through the suspension as a fast. So your not rebuilding shocks every weekend. Last but not least STYLE POINTS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.