R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Orion Engines (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/415577-orion-engines.html)

Soapy 07-11-2010 12:44 AM

Orion Engines

Hi guys,
I'm considering getting one of these and have done a quick search but not too much info on them.
Just wanted to know how they perform power wise and run time compared to something like a jx ninja
I'll be looking to run it in truggy, so bottom end power is pretty important.

RAlmeida 07-11-2010 05:57 AM

http://www.toprcsupply.com/internall...ray-28-10.aspx

Matt Piva 07-11-2010 09:49 AM

I would get the alphas if ur getting an Orion engine. Those crf orions have nothing for there newer alphas, I would say from what iv seen there power is very very good on bottom and stays good all the way to the top, personally iv never seen anything like the Orion mte alpha engine it's just insanity everytime I see one. Anyone of there alphas paired up with the 2013 is good, comparing it to a jx ur gonna notice a huge difference in feel as the Orion is a lite switch u gas it and it immediatly goes like it's in a car that weighs nothing. The jx is more of a smooth feeling engine that I can control easily but still has plenty of power. I can't drive that lightswitch Orion on a dry track but on a track that's got loam ontop like Funtime hobbies it works well but on say a track like greenflag when it's dry my jx murders it. So to answer ur question completly how does it compare, jx is reliable fast easy to tune and last 8+gallons, Orion is really really fast x100, tune is harder to find and last about 4-7 gallons maybe more if u tune it right and take care of it. I right now have 12 gallons on my jx without any bearing changes or rod change, only thing I did was pinch it at 8 gallons, my Orion I'm saving I only run it on race day when the track calls for it, other then that it's put away, I won't put wear n tear on it cause I really really like it on the tracks it works on cause it's so fast. Hope that answers ur questions.

Soapy 07-11-2010 10:25 PM

Thanks Matt,

How thirsty are they in comparison too. For example I'm getting smack on 10 minutes run time with the JX, but really need closer to eleven.
I don't want to restrict my throttle to make more run time as then it will just be too slow..

Cheers

Kev

Matt Piva 07-11-2010 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Soapy (Post 7658022)
Thanks Matt,

How thirsty are they in comparison too. For example I'm getting smack on 10 minutes run time with the JX, but really need closer to eleven.
I don't want to restrict my throttle to make more run time as then it will just be too slow..

Cheers

Kev

The ninja is very very good on fuel mileage so pitting at 9:30 would be safe on almost any track really, as far as the Orion they really start to shine at about a gallon and a half till about 3 1/2 gallons and can throw out times that would make u sik, iv seen 12 minutes out of my Orion when tuned properly and pitted at 10 minutes cause that's all I needed in a 20 minute main but still had a little less then a quarter tank after the race was done, my jaw dropped. I also watched amezuca run a 12 minute main at jbrl arc a few months ago and that fool was wooded, everyone else pitted including king who was running the alpha. I'd say a properly tuned jx and a properly tuned Orion both with 2 1/2 gallons could both make 11 minutes Safe on any track as long as ur not abusive with the trigger. Iv also seen my p5 go 14 minutes on a small track but I was easy on the throttle and it really was a small track, never the less anyone with a nova knows they can go the distance, I no it not asking tho so I'll stop there. Honestly if ur looking for a great 'racing engine' the Orions are proving there place on the track but they still arnt the engine I'd take to the track for practice cause they have a range when there really really good and after that they just go down hill.

FLHX1550 07-12-2010 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Piva (Post 7655378)
I would get the alphas if ur getting an Orion engine. Those crf orions have nothing for there newer alphas,

All of the Alpha based Orions are CRF, except for the lowest priced 3 port, it still uses a traditional type crankshaft. CRF means it has the crank-shafts with the slots in them rather than just one big pocket in the crank to draw from the carb.

I have the 7 Port ceramic and I am in love with the engine. It took forever to really break in (2 gallons) but has been a complete powerhouse. It likes the heat (it doesn't even start running good till 250 temps) but once tuned it has a boat load of power and is very smooth on power.

I am running it in Truggy with a AE 2035 pipe, which is a goo all around pipe, but not known for mileage. Even so, I can approach 10 minute pit stops with it.

Nilks 07-12-2010 06:11 AM

I pitted a Losi buggy this weekend powered by an Orion engine. I called him in at 11 minutes, and according to the fuelgun I only put 100 ml back in it (in a 125 ml tank).

I was really happy with the 12:23 I can get on my Ninja JX in truggy, but my jaw dropped to the floor when I experienced this Orion with still 1/5 of a tank left after 11 minutes - IN A BUGGY!

MikeFriery 07-12-2010 01:06 PM

im very happy with the Orion MTE..

its got great power bottom and top, and seems to have some longevity as im through 4 gallons.

Fuel milage is not as good as say, a novarossi..

remember fuel mileage is factored by many things, driving style, track length, weather..

I usually can not pit at 10 minutes with the orion on the big open tracks here in Arizona.

offroad dude 07-12-2010 06:01 PM

The Orion MTE is off the HOOK with the 2013, but if you want the same power and save about $100 look at the Werkz B5 with their 2013... You can't go wrong either way....:D:D

dandrat 07-12-2010 06:27 PM

I have a alpha abi 3 port ( non crf ) I run in a buggy and its a top notch engine. great, quick revving bottom end and pulls well through to a good top end. I've never timed it but I would say fuel mileage isn't quite as good as my plus4 or speed , but Its not that far off ether. I would say its my favorite of the 3 feel wise . So yeah, I like it better then my speed or plus4, but thats my opinion. The engine kinda feels like a jammin jpx21 made for better fuel mileage to me.

Matt Piva 07-12-2010 07:21 PM

The link in the second post is a crf picco based Orion, I don't no if u missed that or maybe a bit slow on the reading but that's what I was referring to. Honestly the new CRF alpha orions engines really are becoming the premeir engine when it comes to high level racing. One thing to say is 'budget' and spending 400$ on an engine that may only be a tiny hair better then a b5 is kinda pointless so keep in your budget so u can stay at the track longer.

Soapy 07-12-2010 11:07 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Just ordered a 3 port ceramic with pipe combo. Will let you know how she goes.

dandrat 07-12-2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Soapy (Post 7663161)

you've chosen wisely

FLHX1550 07-13-2010 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Soapy (Post 7663161)

The Ceramic 3-Port has the CRF crank. You will be quite happy.

Remember to tune to performance and smoke, as the temps on the Orions can scare you some. On my 7 Port, 260-270 is common

dandrat 07-13-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by FLHX1550 (Post 7664135)
The Ceramic 3-Port has the CRF crank. You will be quite happy.

Remember to tune to performance and smoke, as the temps on the Orions can scare you some. On my 7 Port, 260-270 is common

there is one that's is crf and one that is not and both come with ceramic bearings. The crf is a little more expensive though