Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
how to get a longer run time? >

how to get a longer run time?

how to get a longer run time?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Default how to get a longer run time?

hi there,

i was racing last night and i got into the a-final with a 13 minutes final. and i had to have two stops because my engine doesn't have a very good fuel mileage and i did not finish very well because it everyone else only had one stop. but how can i improve it?

many thanks

lewis
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Smaller restrictor and lean that sucker out. LOL.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Alot has to do with tuning. But running a smaller restrictor helps. The smaller restrictor will suck in less air, which means you have to also restrict the fuel intake (lean it out). A proper exhaust pipe can also be critical. I'm still trying to figure out where to start on finding the proper pipe myself.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i would say that throttle control is most important. the less time you spend spinning the wheels the less fuel youre using
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

a smaller venturi helps to an extent. if you go to small you may find your self using more throttle to do the same thing a size larger venturi did with less throttle...make sense? also throttle control-clutch-clutch bell-tires-pipe- ALL contribute to fuel milage...if you find you are alway spinnging the tires go up on the clutch bell or even down on the clutch spring...OR drive smoother spinning tires is wasting fuel and wasting tires...
Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

how big is your idle gap ?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

lean her out
Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Could be a number of factors ...

What engine and pipe combo, And what insert.
What clutch set up are you using.... What % nitro do you run.
How old is your engine ( how many liters through it).

Like other have said the insert will help to a point but some times going smaller can cost you more, I would look at your hole package maybe a pipe change as this could be the governing factor some pipes are more fuel efficient than others and they can make quiet a difference. Best place to start is your local club is anyone running the same as you are or are they running similar and get better run times, They are the people to ask as they are there and can see your problem in person and maybe give you advice you need.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

run more fuel line and also run 2 big fuel filters with the filter taken out, i run a go engine and a v-spec, 13 to 14 minutes runtime! sounds stupid, but it helps!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inferno13
run more fuel line and also run 2 big fuel filters with the filter taken out, i run a go engine and a v-spec, 13 to 14 minutes runtime! sounds stupid, but it helps!
Unless you are following the rules of a 125cc fuel capacity. I personally try to keep my tank capacity legal even when they aren't teching it or even have a rule for it. Helps when you go to a race where they are teching. You already know you have a legal fuel capacity, and all of the practice you have done is on a legal tank. You know how long you can run on a legal tank, so figuring out a pit strategy is much easier.

Honestly fuel mileage has many variables to it. One of the biggest that most people overlook is the driver. Throttle control is the single biggest fuel mileage factor. Other factors are engine, restrictor, tune, pipe, plug, clutch, gearing, weather conditions, etc...

If you know your tune is spot on or at least very close, you could try a smaller restrictor. Also depending on what engine/pipe combo you are running, you may benefit from a pipe change. Knowing the engine/pipe/restrictor combo would help.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Unless you are following the rules of a 125cc fuel capacity. I personally try to keep my tank capacity legal even when they aren't teching it or even have a rule for it. Helps when you go to a race where they are teching. You already know you have a legal fuel capacity, and all of the practice you have done is on a legal tank. You know how long you can run on a legal tank, so figuring out a pit strategy is much easier.

Honestly fuel mileage has many variables to it. One of the biggest that most people overlook is the driver. Throttle control is the single biggest fuel mileage factor. Other factors are engine, restrictor, tune, pipe, plug, clutch, gearing, weather conditions, etc...

If you know your tune is spot on or at least very close, you could try a smaller restrictor. Also depending on what engine/pipe combo you are running, you may benefit from a pipe change. Knowing the engine/pipe/restrictor combo would help.
so you cant run fuel filters? hmmmm......who's the idiots that thought that rule up?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

sure u can run a fuel filter...as long as you are in specs of 125cc for buggy and 150cc for truggy...also jammin I said "driver smoother"
Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
a smaller venturi helps to an extent. if you go to small you may find your self using more throttle to do the same thing a size larger venturi did with less throttle...make sense? also throttle control-clutch-clutch bell-tires-pipe- ALL contribute to fuel milage...if you find you are alway spinnging the tires go up on the clutch bell or even down on the clutch spring...OR drive smoother spinning tires is wasting fuel and wasting tires...
+1, well said
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Drive an electric car (any) for a couple months and then drive your nitro. It helped me tremendously for throttle control. I drive my nitro like an electric now. Therefore, being smoother on it I can lean it out more and get a little bit more runtime as well. Rather than blipping and wasting fuel. The more blipping the less your engine will get "loaded up" with fuel. If you drive it real smooth like an electric with that same "blipping" tune, you will notice it will feel richer through the power deliver. So you can lean it more. Works for me. Hope this made sense
Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Tech Regular

hi there,

many thanks for all the replies. i am currently running a picco p3 .21 engine with an edit pipe:

http://www.rc-edit.com/piw.php?partN...x=ED10&lang=en

the problem is my picco does not have restrictors. but my new engine, my radical 621t should be here next few weeks and i think that has restrictors.

but someone mentioned glow plugs, but how can that help? i am currently got a medium glow plug?

many thanks for the replies

lewis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.