Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What is your favorite track surface to race on? >

What is your favorite track surface to race on?

What is your favorite track surface to race on?

Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie

Loamy
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
That track looks fun! Thats weird that Maifield is running a yellow body though.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

50/50 clay and topsoil. Some calcium cloride or what ever added so the track holds water better (if that works???).

I like keeping red clay tracks, or sandy clay wet and soft so it deosn't groove. That way the entire lane has equal grip not just a tiny groove.

Anything soft and damp.

This gay hardpacked, blu groove, tire eating, dusty track stuff can go away now. Been there done that. I hate dust. Why not just pave the track out of concrete?? No dust, permanant blu groove, clean cars!

As for track desighn. Try something different than just pipes for barriers. You can use dirt banking and tall grass to line sections of the track. Wood barriers etc. Not just boring pipes.

Make sure the big jumps have good long run ups so the slower racers can have fun to. And make sure the landing ramps are good and long for big jumpsto reduce breakage. Bigger than the takeoff ramp if need be.

Have 1 big straight. But feed the straight with a big 90 degree turn. No 180 or hill BS. That way we can carry some serious speed into the straight and let our cars wind out. The tracks my way put a hill or 180 at the beginning of the straight to keep speeds down and it feels very slow and lame.

But spectators need to see at least one fast full high speed section to draw attention to this hobby.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
What is blue groove?
Originally Posted by Stubbs
The fastest way to ruin $75 in truggy tires!
AMEN!!

Originally Posted by portyansky
You see it mostly on clay tracks. Its the areas that get so hard packed the color actually changes and its like running on asphalt making it really hard on tires and the rest of the car/truck b/c the dirt has no give to it...
The color change is a layer of rubber built up on the track. I've seen tracks go black groove. Looked like someone drew a line on the track with a giant Sharpie!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Florida Blue Groove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGf72L-8oM
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like loam it gets blown out faster but its easy to fix and change the track and will not make mud and slime as fast if it rains, using a topsoil80%and 20%sand mix, as the organic part of the top soil dies after a few years it leaves behind mostly clay.
to make the track deal better with water and make it more loamy a fine sawdust can be bought from a local sawmill fairly cheap, for a best out come till it to mix it in.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

I don't care what I run on. I prefer loamy but like a good blue groove track as well. To be a good blown out loamy track can challenge the best of us.