Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What is your favorite track surface to race on? >

What is your favorite track surface to race on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite track surface to race on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I would get what ever dirt they had a the AMS race it was some Good dirt.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I guess a 50/50 of clay and dirt seems to do it. Wish thats what some of the tracks would run here in fl. The groove gets so bad on our hardpacked tracks that you can go trough a set of xtr's or hard in a 20 min main sometimes. Talk about hurting the wallet. Some people wish to race on a groove but im dying to get out
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I love loam.
Our club ran 14 races last year. (loam/clay mix)
28 five minute heats and 14 half hour mains ($140)
one set of I-Beams (priceless)

For all of you that enjoy loam..............come to the R/C X-Fest Labor Day weekend. About an hour north of Minneapolis. 3 day event, over 250 entries, massive/huge track. Skinny from R/C Extreme Cars attends this event every year.
Mayfield, Lutz, and many other pros raced at last year's event.

(sorry for hijacking the thread )
Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
What is blue groove?
You see it mostly on clay tracks. Its the areas that get so hard packed the color actually changes and its like running on asphalt making it really hard on tires and the rest of the car/truck b/c the dirt has no give to it...

Not my pic....
Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

50 50 clay and top soil indoor
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
The fastest way to ruin $75 in truggy tires!
LMAO!!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Blue Groove
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Loamy
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Best Dirt
+ YouTube Video
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would have to say the dirt that is at Thunder Alley in Cali and then the dirt at The NITRO PIT in Arizona. Thats my likes for 1/8. Now this is going back about 15-17 years ago there was a indoor track in Sacramento CA that used to host the Motor Man race and that was the best dirt ever they used the clay from the Sacramento River and some other things combined. The track felt like walking on a water bed and the traction was just amazing.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default anything but....

I love most all types of dirt tracks, mostly loose, but in reality I like anything but solid clay blue groove tracks, they eat tires, grind the cars, and aren't what off road is about.

On the positive, it is fun to race on when the occasion presents itself...

I like roooooostttiiinnnggggg dirt.....
Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I like Racing on the kind with dirt.

Nah. I like Racing On tracks that are wet with loam.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
I would get what ever dirt they had a the AMS race it was some Good dirt.
+1 and make it indoors as well. That track was great, hard packed, just the right about of grip,and easy on tires.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This I like,

Dirt or type of depends on the facility it will be used at or in. Indoor for sure clay. Outdoor maybe not so much. I do slightly lean more to the Blue/Black groove type tracks. Yes I know they are hard on tires, but most of the tracks that I have ran that are like that have a very consistant feel to them. Yeah I know, go race onroad then. Not. That is a whole differemt animal. My local tracks get a pretty good racing line on them just short of going Blue/Black groove, yet do get a little blown out. I like that because it is just about the right balance between tire wear and track maint. Out side of that, I'll race any track I can get to. There is one type of track that I dislike above all others. Mud. Can't stand running in mud. Seems that people always want to water a track too much.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default favorite racing soil

I have raced on a few tracks and I would say my favorite soil would be, the soil at the track on the back of my property. The soil make up is 80% topsoil and 20% red clay, but this is only if the surface is packed and watered very well. if watered well the traction is awesome, the track is very fast and wear and tear is minimal. Infact tires last for almost ever.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Other than tire wear blue groove for me. I dont know what is in the dirt but one track around here is hardpacked clay that has a smooth high-bite line with loamy edges, but doesn't eat tires like a blue groove track. Thats my favorite dirt. For the layout have a high speed straight/side straight/back with a few long jumps, and med-low speed technical infeild. Have a washboard section, a camel jump, and a big rythem section thrown in too. Remember to make the layout easily changable/reversable without having to do a complete rebuild. Covered drivers stand with fans and speakers, also speakers in the pit area. And while its a blank check have a jumbotron for lap times.

I got almost 3months out of a set of SS Gridirons, had about 60% life left until the track I raced this weekend grooved up. I hardly wore the tires in the heats, but went out in the main and made some slicks.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video

Here is the local track I race on, to me its got great dirt but I am new to racing so what do I know hehehe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.