Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
running buggy in grass. >

running buggy in grass.

running buggy in grass.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Addict

Default running buggy in grass.

how much would this effect the temperature of the engine?
buggy - 808

would be good to know in C
Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
how much would this effect the temperature of the engine?
buggy - 808

would be good to know in C
when you say in grass, do you mean long grass or on grass like an oval?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by G_RC_C_S
when you say in grass, do you mean long grass or on grass like an oval?
probably about 1/2 tp 2.5/4 up my buggy wheel
Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Tech Initiate

probably about 1/2 tp 2.5/4 up my buggy wheel

If your running your engine in its great cause it puts load on it. As for just bashing round don't really think it would make that much of a dif?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Tech Addict

If your running your engine in its great cause it puts load on it. As for just bashing round don't really think it would make that much of a dif?
but i use wheels that grip grass hard so no wheel spin. i have a 808 buggy with gx7r engine. and i noticed it got a bit hotter when i come off it.

any tech guru got any idea????
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Tech Initiate

but i use wheels that grip grass hard so no wheel spin. i have a 808 buggy with gx7r engine. and i noticed it got a bit hotter when i come off it.

any tech guru got any idea????

don't need a tech guru, if your worried about just richen your HSN 1/8 turn.
Did the engine bog down or run inconsistant cause it got abit hot? If not don't touch it.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Tech Addict

don't need a tech guru, if your worried about just richen your HSN 1/8 turn.
Did the engine bog down or run inconsistant cause it got abit hot? If not don't touch it.
LOL, gx7r engines tune differently to others. we set our high needle flush an never touch it again. all done off LSN bud. much easyer to tune.

so bogging works a bit different.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Initiate

LOL, gx7r engines tune differently to others. we set our high needle flush an never touch it again. all done off LSN bud. much easyer to tune.

lol, yeh most go engines are set flush on the HSN. If you say that its getting hot then you LSN is too lean? If your LSN & Idle gap is set correctly it shouldn't be getting hot, not when your HSN is still set at flush???

Your head bolts may be loose mate, this can cause it to get hot or you may another prob somewhere?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Then rich the LSN...but bogging is still bogging no matter what engine u run!!

I race regularry on grass and i have to say that the tuning isnt that much differnt than on dirt. BTW what to you mean by hot?
Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Poltro
Then rich the LSN...but bogging is still bogging no matter what engine u run!!

I race regularry on grass and i have to say that the tuning isnt that much differnt than on dirt. BTW what to you mean by hot?
well. i always richin 2 hours on LSN for general running off my race tune and race tune is 95C-97C so i should of been at... lets say 90, but instead on the grass it was 98-99C.

head bolts etc are fine. no bubbles in line.. no air leaks in engine. fresh bearings. no weaping at all
Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Grass Height.

If when you release the throttle, your buggy slows down much faster in the grass than on the track, the grass is tall enough to put a lot of drag on the buggy. Extra drag makes your engine work harder. So then temps will be higher. Richen your LSN .

Go GX engines imported to the U.S. have the short LSN. They tune using the usual method. NON U.S. GX's do tune from the LSN.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Your engine is going to be under load doing that, if its enough to slow it down fast with the gas off, the buggy is having to push through all that. Its not that the tires are spinning its how much more the engine has to push to go the same speed as on dirt. your engine will prolly just suck up more fuel and become a little hotter. Just dont full throttle it everywere, extended full throttle can hurt the engine.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
Your engine is going to be under load doing that, if its enough to slow it down fast with the gas off, the buggy is having to push through all that. Its not that the tires are spinning its how much more the engine has to push to go the same speed as on dirt. your engine will prolly just suck up more fuel and become a little hotter. Just dont full throttle it everywere, extended full throttle can hurt the engine.
What he said. Plus the extra resistance from grass puts more load on drivetrain & engine components. Oh, and did I mention that it's a PITA to clean off your buggy afterwards?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Grass will make engine temps go up. You are prob running it full out a lot too which causes engine temps to also go up. Thats why I like the track. I had a buddy ask me why we couldn't tune on the street and well its just pointless to fine tune an engine that will be run on the track in the street. I dont like driving the race/ track cars on the street. Now the E max thats a different story, perfect for the street or park.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Grass will make engine temps go up. You are prob running it full out a lot too which causes engine temps to also go up. Thats why I like the track. I had a buddy ask me why we couldn't tune on the street and well its just pointless to fine tune an engine that will be run on the track in the street. I dont like driving the race/ track cars on the street. Now the E max thats a different story, perfect for the street or park.
See before race day i drop my car on the street get it up to temps and make sure it sounds ok just a slight to no fine tune, then i go to the track and the fine tuning is made a little easier

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.