Wiki Posts
Search

Help w/ Mechanical Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Help w/ Mechanical Brakes

I am not a newbie, but I am an electric guy and not too familiar with the ins and outs of mechanical brakes,so I figured I would ask the nitro guys.

Long story short, I have a Hot Bodies ve8 and want to use the mechanical brake option for better brake bias. I installed the brakes and burnt up two sets of Hot Bodies brake pads in like 5 minutes of running and can't figure out why.

The first set of pads essentially disintegrated, both front and rear. I ordered a new set and installed them, and the front brake pad scorched pretty bad. The rear one seems to be holding up ok. The brake calipers are also scorched up bad as well.

What causes this? There is no binding in whatsoever with the drive train or the brake pads. I am using a JR 9100s servo for the brake servo. I have the brakes set to slow the car down hard, but not enough to lock up the wheels. Bias was probably 30/70. I only race my car, so it was only geared for maybe 40mph-42mph tops so it is not like I am trying to stop a 100mph speed run.

The brakes start off working well and then after a minute or two essentially stop slowing the car down and scorching really bad (I can smell it burning). After a few more minutes, the brake pads are essentially destroyed.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

No one has had their brake pads disintegrate/burn up?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thats very odd. I run Mech. brakes on my Ve8 and have never had an issue with mine. The only thing I can think of right now is the linkage is getting caught or hung up on something. Also, make sure your pads have some play between the screws and the pad themselves when not engaged.

I'll keep thinking about this one.....

Last edited by yzracer758; 07-01-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds like they are dragging causing them to burn up, and you may not notice it because of the power of the motor.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

They weren't dragging at all. The car would freewheel fine with no resistance. It is almost like the calipers can't grip the brake pad causing friction heat to the point where the brake pads burn and calipers burn.

Like I said, it starts off fine and then the brakes basically stop working. When I check, the pads and calipers are smoking.

I will post some pictures.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

you must b to fast for the pads lol. na iv never herd of such a thing they have to be hanging up try putting springs inbetween you pads.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Spring-Team-4

or just use the spring out of a pen and cut it into sections
Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

What channel did you put the brake servo on? I have never had that happen. I ran a tekno d8 with brakes and a nitro. Hold your car off the ground with the body off and run the car at half throttle for a few minutes and watch the brake servo and calipers. Turn the wheels also. The only way I could see this happening is your brakes are dragging under power, the servo is glitching, or you got a bad batch of brakes. Also, the d8 manual calls for a 7mm spacing between diff mount and the caliper screw.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

I can't figure it out either. I had them installed like 7 or 8 months ago and they worked fine. I also used mechanical brakes with no problem with a Tekno kit as well.

There definitely wasn't any binding as the car would roll very freely when the brakes weren't applied.

I am going to try a return spring to see if that helps.

It really seems like the calipers can't generate enough friction to grip the pad causing the scorching. Almost like the pads are coated with grease or something (they aren't).

When I get home, I will post some pics. The pad is scorched black along with the calipers.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Oh, that! I keep some brillo pads in my hobby box and before every race day I clean that residue off, dry the rotor and keep racing. I do replace my brake rotor and flip the calipers mid season. The kit breakers on ebay sale that stuff cheap. I look forward to seeing your pictures. I did notice that the rotors for the nitro car has more cooling holes and looks bigger than the Ve8 rotors.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I can't figure it out either. I had them installed like 7 or 8 months ago and they worked fine. I also used mechanical brakes with no problem with a Tekno kit as well.

There definitely wasn't any binding as the car would roll very freely when the brakes weren't applied.

I am going to try a return spring to see if that helps.

It really seems like the calipers can't generate enough friction to grip the pad causing the scorching. Almost like the pads are coated with grease or something (they aren't).

When I get home, I will post some pics. The pad is scorched black along with the calipers.
are these the rotors you have on the car?

are you using brake pads on the calipers with those fiberglass rotors?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tiger200350
Oh, that! I keep some brillo pads in my hobby box and before every race day I clean that residue off, dry the rotor and keep racing. I do replace my brake rotor and flip the calipers mid season. The kit breakers on ebay sale that stuff cheap. I look forward to seeing your pictures. I did notice that the rotors for the nitro car has more cooling holes and looks bigger than the Ve8 rotors.
i do the same things. i just use a 150 grit sanding block though. couple passes one way. turn 90 degrees (to get a crosshatch) couple more passes. flip and repeat. just lightly sanding though, just to get the crud off
Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Edumakated If you can rig up Losi black discs or the AE/TT brakes you should not have any more problems....if your Smoking the fiber discs your pads are either glazed over or you just pulling enough brakes to engage but still slip....the fiber discs come apart under extreme heat and im assuming that's exactly what's happening.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
are these the rotors you have on the car?

are you using brake pads on the calipers with those fiberglass rotors?
The calipers don't have any padding on them. Just using these;

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Caliper-Set-4

The ve8 pads are slightly different, but they are basically like your picture.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The calipers don't have any padding on them. Just using these;

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Caliper-Set-4

The ve8 pads are slightly different, but they are basically like your picture.
oh, ok. you were saying pads in your earlier posts. i just wanted to make sure you weren't using pads with the fiberglass rotors.