R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Shimming a clutch bell (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/412817-shimming-clutch-bell.html)

hookem34 06-30-2010 07:21 PM

Shimming a clutch bell

Should you put the shims inside the clutch bell then put the screw in or should you put the shims on the outside?

I have my shims on the outside now but the screw keeps backing out or the shims pop over the screw and fall off. Needless to say my clutch bell it getting eaten up pretty bad. Help is appreciated

:nod::nod::nod:

jbright33 06-30-2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by hookem34 (Post 7612604)
Should you put the shims inside the clutch bell then put the screw in or should you put the shims on the outside?

I have my shims on the outside now but the screw keeps backing out or the shims pop over the screw and fall off. Needless to say my clutch bell it getting eaten up pretty bad. Help is appreciated

i only put 1 or 2 shims on inside to shim it out away from clutch rest on outside and a small washer so shims dont go over the screw

jbright33 06-30-2010 07:26 PM

i only put 1 or 2 shims on inside to shim it out away from clutch rest on outside and a small washer so shims dont go over the screw

toobad4u 06-30-2010 07:31 PM

I use the Ofna clutch bell shim kit. It comes with the shims, and a large washer/spacer thing that the bolt head screws down flush into. This keeps the shims from going over the bolt head.
I usually put a thin one inside between the inner bearing and the flywheel nut, and the rest on the outside.

Stephen

captain america 06-30-2010 07:31 PM

Hi Hookem. Well OK, first things first: are you using the right size shims? Right size of screw? If you have the right size, the shims shouldn't be able to work their way over the screw.

Shims are used to align the clutch bell with the spur. What vehicle is this for, what clutch are you using, and what engine? Ideally, you want a little bit of back-and-forth play of your clutch bell on the flywheel, and by a little, I mean under 1mm.

Info or pics are always helpful :)

pinky2252s 06-30-2010 07:46 PM

Also if your screws are backing out use a drop of low grade thread lock. I find that if i dont, my clutch bell comes off and gets eaten up in like 3 seconds

Funking-Awesome 06-30-2010 07:50 PM

I never use thread lock on my clutch screw. I hold the flywheel tightly with my hand and tighten the screw as much as i can. I have never had a problem doing it this way.

hookem34 06-30-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by captain america (Post 7612652)
Hi Hookem. Well OK, first things first: are you using the right size shims? Right size of screw? If you have the right size, the shims shouldn't be able to work their way over the screw.

Shims are used to align the clutch bell with the spur. What vehicle is this for, what clutch are you using, and what engine? Ideally, you want a little bit of back-and-forth play of your clutch bell on the flywheel, and by a little, I mean under 1mm.

Hey Capt.

It is a Mugen 6T with factory clutch and clutch bell on an Extech .24. I have the movement within .5-1mm.

rc skyline 06-30-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by captain america (Post 7612652)

I find it best to shim behind the collet if you have to make adjustments in order to get the bell to line up with the spur, That way you dont have shims everywear near your bearings and falling out every time you replace bearings/ inspect clutch

Then just shim the clutch with required amount of play and good to go

Dave

Reno 07-01-2010 07:43 AM

I have the MBX6T. With either the Mugen or the Associated clutch I put 1 shim behind the bell and the rest outside to get proper play. I do put a tiny drop of blue Loctite on the bolt. I have never had problems with this method. Not sure why your shims will get over the bolt. That shouldn't happen if you are using the correct shims. Make sure the shims are correct. You don't want them rubbing the bell either.

merdith6 07-01-2010 09:14 AM

Here you go....

Depending on the car, I put one medium shim on the clutch nut, then the bearing bell and bearing, then more shims to give it just a slight ammount of play, very little, then use a cone washer, it will hold everything perfect and extend bearing life....Her is one example, there are several brands....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Washer-Blue-6