Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Xray 808, Losi 8ight 2.0, or Mugen MBX6? >

Xray 808, Losi 8ight 2.0, or Mugen MBX6?

Xray 808, Losi 8ight 2.0, or Mugen MBX6?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default Xray 808, Losi 8ight 2.0, or Mugen MBX6?

Which is the better buggy to get for a new buggy racer?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

might get a better response if you posted in the off-road section....
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mugen MBX6
Old 10-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Try Hongnor X1x
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Xray XB808
Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Are you new to racing or new to 1/8 buggies?

If your new to racing, none of the above. Start with something cheaper to learn the ropes.

If you've got experience racing and can wheel around the track pretty good, any of them will be good.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

In the past year I've had the Mugen X5R, Asssociated RC8, Xray 808, and now the Mugen X6. If you want a racing buggy it's the X6. I sold my 808 after 2 months. The bearings around the diff kept going (6 times, 2 catostrophic failures), they would not warranty it, the pivot balls/ball ends wear fast making slop, and it's hard to setup. The worst thing the 808 is a constant maintenace nightmare. It even says on the xray website clean & repack 13x19mm bearings every 1 hour of run time. That's three 5 minute heats and one 45 minute main. If you don't make the amain and need to bump up, running for more than 1 hour the balls will fall out of your bearings. DNF. The X6 works out of the box and my 2 year old X5R did not show wear in the balls/ball ends. I've had Kyosho Mp 7.5K3 and 777, Xray XB8 and Xb8R and 808, Associated RC8, Jammin CRT, Mugen X5R, and X6. Mugen was and is the best. Jammin is a close second. I also have a Hotbodies D8 but am selling it. I haven't drivin it yet but from what I've seen it do with other drivers I like the Mugen better. I have stayed away from the Losi seeing others whom own one have many problems with it.

Last edited by Toycar5; 10-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Some don't like to tare down a car after every race weekend, so maybe the Mugen is for you. But in my case, I do tare down the car completly after a race weekend. So with that in mind, the 808 or Losi is for someone like myself. I also come from an electric background so the Losi and 808 seem to drive closer to what I'm use to. If you don't have the background like myself, the Losi or 808 might not be a good starter car. To be honest, I havn't seen the new Mugen. But if it's like cars of the past, I'm sure it's alittle more forgiving to drive. I just prefer a car that is on the edge. Funny thing though, the Losi and 808 don't feel like there "twitchy" to me. But I think it's the electric racing background.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Wow....

The 808 is one of the best quality cars out there. You do need to do a little work in the center of the drive train to keep the drive shafts from bottoming out in the center drive cups. Otherwise, this car is as strong as any out there. Bearings are bearings. In 1/8th gas racing you will always do the same maint if you want to keep the level of performance up.
The Xray and Losi plastics are very durable and are the top of the charts in this class of cars.
The Mugen MBX6 is top notch as well. The plastics seen to have the usual first run issues that I'm sure will be dialed out.
All of these cars handle wonderfully and are adjustable to the stars. Just driving kit setups does not quantify how good a car can be.

Pound for pound the MBX6 is the best bang for the buck straight out of the box! It has the nice motor mount and adjustable pill block set in the kit that the other two does not have. The gear ratios have been optimized to make this car the most complete for the money. LHS in the Dallas area has them about $25 to $50 cheaper than the Losi and the 808.

I love my 808 but that Mugen and the 2.0 8ight both look mighty good for their own reasons.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
TEX
Old 10-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tex1
Pound for pound the MBX6 is the best bang for the buck straight out of the box! It has the nice motor mount and adjustable pill block set in the kit that the other two does not have. The gear ratios have been optimized to make this car the most complete for the money. LHS in the Dallas area has them about $25 to $50 cheaper than the Losi and the 808.

I love my 808 but that Mugen and the 2.0 8ight both look mighty good for their own reasons.

TEX
In the UK the pricing is currently very different, the Mugen is £90 ($145) more expensive than the XB808 or Losi 2.0 - which is not yet available - with the original Losi 8ight available for a whooping £200 ($320) less than the MBX6 now that allows a large margin for upgrade parts and spares.
So how would you rate the 3 buggies based on those prices? Can the Losi 8ight be made reliable with that kind of margin for upgrades?
Also are there any parts on the MBX6 or 808 that require attention or are they good to go out of the box? Moulded plastic quality excepted here as it seems to be a random problem unlike the D8 CVD's.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The truth is ALL of the buggys you mentioned are excellent. They ALL have quirks buy the one you really like. Thats the one your goning to enjoy the most. Buy once and get the one you love. Or buy twice the one you settled for and then the one you loved from the begining.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

[QUOTE=paul_j;4977162]Losi 2.0 - which is not yet available QUOTE]

No, it is available, my local hobby shop had 2 of them today. I think they were going for $550.

I still wouldn't buy one though
Old 10-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

To get to the current features of the Mugen, one would have to purchase the pill block hinge pin sets for both the front and rear of the car.
On the 808 this would cost you $90 easy. The Losi would be $68.

The Mugen also has adjustable caster by design and a one peice motor mount. It also comes with tires that you can race with. On the 808 this would set you back another $50.

This is why I say "bang for the buck". It just makes the MBX-6 seem right.

Handling and tuning is another issue. The 808 has proven to be a good buggy and can be driven to the limits with the right setup. I'm sure the 2.0 8ight and the MBX-6 will prove to be buggies that are on par the best as well.

All of these will be great. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Next issue will be local price, parts support in your area and if anyone can help you if you need it.

Take your time and ask the tough questions.
I will not sell my 808 go get one of these. They may be = to each other but not better.
TEX
Old 10-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what tex said...

except that the 6 doenst come with a one piece engine mount.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by vladconnery
The truth is ALL of the buggys you mentioned are excellent. They ALL have quirks buy the one you really like. Thats the one your goning to enjoy the most. Buy once and get the one you love. Or buy twice the one you settled for and then the one you loved from the begining.
I hear you

My heart says go with the Mugen as it looks very, very well engineered and finished - not knocking the Losi or Xray here just looking at the little details like extra pin holes in drive axles, etc. The other side of it is as a 1:1 scale fan the Mugen name has some really history there too, although is this the same company?

I've now found a shop in Europe with the MBX6 in stock and price is on a par with a Losi 2.0 although I can't find a UK shop with one in stock but I heard the first batch for the UK was only 20 kits

The other factor here is this will be my first nitro buggy! I have good support for the tech side as the local shop is owned and run by a former Serpent 1/8th On Road Euro's winner with many years of experience, and I do have a history of racing RC offroad electrics. Going back as far as the Tamiya Sand Scorcher with one of the first custom fibreglass chassis - so I can find my way around a track without needing a corner marshall every two minutes, well some days but nitro is all a little new yet and sorting out the good from the indifferent takes a bit of time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.