R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Engine engne engine grrr..Looking for a new one!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/411641-engine-engne-engine-grrr-looking-new-one.html)

didrace 06-27-2010 01:01 AM

Engine engne engine grrr..Looking for a new one!!!

The last two races i lost the competition due to my engine and clutch. Its been two years now i am running the o.s vspec but not the speed. I used to run the stock kyosho aluminium clutch setup both on my st-rr and mp9 but i had quite a few bearing failures, so i then switch to the mip buggy clutch and i was suprised how smooth and flowless is oparating but the last two races the springs loose and on the accelaration the engine was struggling. I also have one vspec that needs rebuilding so i came here to ask which is the best engine, and the best pipe for that engine and which is the most popular clutch setup. When i say best i mean first of all reliable and then fast.. Cause i dont want an engine than will run for 4-5 gallons and then i will need a rebuild. But at the same time i need the engine to be powerfull enough so that i will do the long jumps and also fast enough on the straights.

as soon as i get enough help i have 400 euros ready and if i need more next week i will have more for buying the what you guys recomend.

Btw the engine will be running either on an st-rr,xray xb808,mp9. but if its not useable foor a truggy then no problem.

Thanks.

English365 06-27-2010 01:07 AM

Now this thread is going to be hardcore i can tell you that there is gouing to be people sayin gchoose this and this and this or that, but my .2 cents is i run vspecs as well, and like them well last copuple of weekends ive been trying to blow them up to get aplhas, ive heard alphas get grear gas mileage as well as long life 8-10 gal. and at 209usd i dont think i can find a cheaper motor with power and life

RUNNINONMT 06-27-2010 01:12 AM

novarossi plus4 team 41005 header and 9901 pipe. should be good to go:cool:

Lochii 06-27-2010 01:54 AM

I'd check out Werks and Alpha engines. Incredible engines for a little price.
Do not let the price fool you ;)

As for alpha, the red & green head are perfect for buggies. On the other hand, the orange one is best for truggy, as it's got more torque.

The Werks engines, either a B5, B6 of B7. The B6 is an optimized B5 with a smoother power band and more fuel mileage.

You could also check out the topics on this forum.

VWVR6_T 06-27-2010 02:00 AM

This thread is going to be hell :lol:. There is alot of "racing" engines in the market with very good prices that can hold their on with engines doble the price. I can tell you of what I know, Werks B6 :sneaky: with a 2013 or 2057 pipe. Italian made, very well done and is 225.00usd. I'm not saying that the Novas are not good or even alphas they all are very good engine, the longetivity of a engine falls in the hand of the user not much in the engine my opinion, Good luck with your serch and this thread lol. Forgot, the B6 is exclusive made for buggys, The B5 is very good for truggys with the same pipes.

modified763 06-27-2010 02:16 AM

Novarossi Plus 21-7 FMS or the Novarossi Plus 4-C.:nod:;) If your looking to pay 50 bucks or so less go for the Novarosi P5XLT. Not so much top end and snap, but very efficient and also great mileage. Last forever and are beasts in either buggy or truggy. Not too hard to tune to an easy 10 minutes with the right pipe and header combo. I wont put my 2 cents in on pipes and headers though. I dont feel like being destroyed.:lol: These are my all time three faves though. Although, I wish that they still made the 367. Those were insane! Good luck with your new purchase when you decide. Im sure you'll have 10 pages to read and choose from.:lol:

ScroggJL21 06-27-2010 02:29 AM

The Werks B5 with a 2013 is hard to damn beat. All I run for clutch shoes is VP Pro shoes. Scuff off the anno. with a dremel, and these shoes last a long time, run cool and grab hard. I have yet to have a CB bearing fail in my ST-RR. I change them every 1/2 gallon to be safe, but 99% of the time the bearings are still good. Just remember to remove the CB and clean out the grease that flings from the new bearings after one tank. This makes all the difference in clutch performance and life.
I run the JL .21 with a JP-1 pipe, very smooth fast mill, built rock solid too. Very depenable. I see it going over 7 gallons like my Picco with no repinch.
Now as far as rebuilding in 4-5 gallons, what do you expect? ALL nitro engines need the bearings replaced every 2-3 gallons. O.S. engines need the bearings replaced straight after breakin. Connecting rods generally are only good for 5-6 gallons depending upon how often you change the engine bearings. It takes a lot of care to make a mill go over 5 gallons.

underway 06-27-2010 04:58 AM

Werks B5/2013 or TQ 501T/ 2069/086 or 2060 pipe.

Ascendancy Clutch on either and your worries are over. Both Italian Made, Both with great power and reliability. Cant go wrong with either.

didrace 06-27-2010 05:09 AM

I appreciate your responce..

I knew that novarossi and wrecks will be one of the recomended engines. I never had experience with a nova nor with a wreck so that will be interesting.

so until now the engines recomended are:

Wrecks with 2013 pipe on truggy and 2057 or 2060 ,086 for buggy..now i dont know b5?b6?b7?

alpha engines

novarossi plus4 with 9901

Novarossi 21-7

Novarossi 4-c

Novarossi p5xlt

Jl picco

didrace 06-27-2010 05:11 AM

As for the Ascendancy Clutch how often will i need to replace the shoes?

what is the good thing about this clutch?

Thanks!

Maximo 06-27-2010 05:24 AM

Hello my friend ! what style of tracks do you run on ? How much power and RPM are you looking for ?

didrace 06-27-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 7595559)
Hello my friend ! what style of tracks do you run on ? How much power and RPM are you looking for ?

I need as much power and as much rpm but an engine that will be reliable and tunable like the o.s but with better metals..

The o.s destroyed the pin on my crankshaft and the engine could be run untin i changed the crankshaft.. i couldnt imagine that the crankshaft was destroyed..

also the style of tracks i am running are mainly european..they have trible and quad jumps on short distances and long straights.

other tracks i am running are very technical with lots of 180 turns..so i need to be smooth on the throttle there..

Thanks for the help!!!

Maximo 06-27-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by didrace (Post 7595646)
I need as much power and as much rpm but an engine that will be reliable and tunable like the o.s but with better metals..

The o.s destroyed the pin on my crankshaft and the engine could be run untin i changed the crankshaft.. i couldnt imagine that the crankshaft was destroyed..

also the style of tracks i am running are mainly european..they have trible and quad jumps on short distances and long straights.

other tracks i am running are very technical with lots of 180 turns..so i need to be smooth on the throttle there..

Thanks for the help!!!

2 engines that come to mind from my store..

Modified Werk's B5 on 2057 tuned pipe....This engine is a rocket..it has gobs of low end power and a blistering, screaming top end..it tunes very easily and is also very good on fuel... This engine produces more torque and more HP then any other offroad .21 I have encountered, whats even more amazing is how easily and consistent it tunes

Modified Ninja JX 21.... in stock form this is very similar to your OS V-Spec... except it has a DLC(diamond like carbon) coated crankshaft, which will remove any chances of a worn crankpin...So you get all the great characteristics of the V-Spec, but with a much more durable crankshaft..... Performance wise with the modifications we have increased low end with a noticeable ramp up in the midrange and a much stronger top end over stock...The engine has a good low end, strong midrange and a insane top end... a little less bottom end then my B5 but a higher peak RPM... down a long Euro straight it would take one hell of an engine to match the modified JX...

rageworks 06-27-2010 07:00 AM

Or he could get the Clockworks modded JL .21 and
outrun both of those engines mentioned above. It
can also get the run times of the JX, if driven properly.

cdc 06-27-2010 08:32 AM

RB Buggy 10, 2045 Inline Polished Tuned Pipe and 92mm Inline Polished Manifold. It is a great and very powerful engine.