Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Need help with engine problem and fast... >

Need help with engine problem and fast...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with engine problem and fast...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried a hotter plug with no success.
Clutch works fine on all 3 cars.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default t

Originally Posted by vti-chris
This is a problem encountered on 3 different engines on three different people up to now and we don't know what's causing it.
We are not noobs on tuning so we know the "basics".
Engine runs fine with the glow starter on but dies when removed and give it a full throttle.
If it's a blip style full throttle it will die while going to idle.
If it's a WOT to clear the engine it dies before reaching full rpm by dropping rpm and dying.

We all run RB 30% buggy fuel.
Engines are 2x RB WS9 and one Reedy 121VR.
We tried tuning it...no success.
Tried different plugs...nothing.
Tried other engines on the same car and they work...so it's not the fuel tank, clutch or pipe.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
its your tune, sounds fat on the bottom and lean on top.

try higher idle? try lean lsn, 1/2 turn? richen the hsn 1 full turn and go wot, then lean it slowly until it clears out. then check idle again. if the hsn is too lean it will quit at wot, the lsn is too rich it won't idle but will load up blipping and make hsn seem to be ok, for a bit. pressure line must be at least 6", i run 10".

not sure where you guys are on the map but its gotten about 10 degrees hotter in fl in the last month and that means leaner tuning.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

I doupt if there is even the slightest tuning combination i haven't tried....rich, lean, HSN, LSN , idle...everything. Nothing!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd check the bearings and the conrod for wear personally
Old 06-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

On 3 different engines???
Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

I know a guy who ruined 4 peoples engines, just by being on the same bash. He persisted that there was to much smoke, and more headroom to lean out engines that was far past the point of "to lean" already. I couldn't help but asking the other 3 why they listened to him, they KNOW i rebuild his engine way to regularly to be coincidental. I've been trying to tell him that 4% and more castor fuels is supposed to leave a thick blue smoke but he knows better... I've also tried persuading him to go with a full synthetic blend instead of the castor / synthetic he's running, with no luck, he knows full synthetic to be crap for some a or other. I've quit offering to send his sleeves & pistons of for a pinch, coz that to, is just BS. Taking his money for something that cant possibly work, who do i think he is, some fool?
He's the only one i know who coocked a hybrid ceramic bearing. (the cage holder in the main disintegrated from the heat as far as i can figure.) I picked up white shrapnel throughout the whole engine. A new set of bearings, sleeve and piston set, and it ran again. Now, of course, all ceramic bearings are garbage to.

Funny thing is, he comes of as relatively well informed, and knowledgeable.

So yes, hell, check the wear on those engines. With a bit of luck it's shot main bearings that are causing the issues. Cheap, and easy to fix. Well, unless it's killed the con-rod bushings, and crank connecting pin.
Then it's less cheap. Still easy tho.
B!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Not to be a dick, but to me it just sounds like you guys need to learn how to tune, and im willing to bet that takes care of the problem, of course telling people over the internet you can tune doesnt mean you can, everything youve said has led me to believe its the tune that is making these engines do this.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Sorry, forgot to mention that all worked fine the week before. So the tune should be close not to a point where these won't even start. And as i said we tried everything regarding the tune. I've been n the racing/hobby for more than 5years and think i know how to tune an engine. But in this case i give up...!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I didn't read the whole thread. Try another fuel. A different brand entirely.

Example:
Sidewinder (Morgan Fuels) put out a whole batch of bad fuel last year and people everywhere were having the same problem you are. They recalled all the fuel, but another fuel problem is going to happen elsewhere at some point.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
Try another fuel. A different brand entirely.

Example:
Sidewinder (Morgan Fuels) put out a whole batch of bad fuel last year and people everywhere were having the same problem you are. They recalled all the fuel, but another fuel problem is going to happen elsewhere at some point.
+1 Also, do you kill your engine by the flywheel or putting your finger over the pipe? With 3 engines at once though, I definitely leaning towards the idea that its a bad batch of fuel. What kind of fuel is it?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just in case it hasn't been said enough times... try some different fuel... of the same nitro percentage, NOT 45%! Tune with different nitro percentage won't even be close... and that much nitro will need to have shims added!