Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy distroyed .. run away

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trx-1racer
Thats just not true with todays good servos. I use a relatively light spring and with the throttle wide open I can turn the radio switch to off and it goes right back to idle position.
I've been using a Sanwa ERG-RZ for throttle for the last 3 years, and while it may not be "top of the line" anymore, it hasn't let me down yet...But it does have a lot of resistance even when powered off.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
Throttle return springs/rubber bands are only to bring your throttle back to idle if the ball cup disconnects: even with no power, the servo produces so much friction that any spring/band with sufficient tension to bring the carb back to idle with the servo still attached will damage your servo.
um. No sir. I have been using 3 return bands on my 7985 servo and no problems. My switch/battery took a dump and it closed it fine. Been doing that for 18 months. No problems what so ever.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

It doesn't take long for the FASST receivers to overheat and shut down. My friend had this happen to his D8T this weekend. When we got it back to the bench, I looked at the RX and the power LED went from green to red. After a few mins if cool down time, everything worked fine. Try using the heat reflective tape on the OUTSIDE of the radio box on your (next) buggy.

Another trick I use in my GT 2 is to ream a 3/4in hole in the bottom of the truck's radio box. Next, I use two layers of servo tape to mount the receiver. Here's the real trick, only place 1/4in wide strips on each end of the bottom of the receiver, leaving the center exposed. This allows enough air flow to keep the receiver temps down.

I'll post some pics later tomorrow of what I did. Gonna do the same thing in my friend's 1/8 scale as well.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Sounds like the throddle servo took a dump.
I've seen a few servos do the same thing before.
One minute it's working fine the next minute it
slams to the full throddle position and locks.
The RTR Ofna servos are known to do this.
Remove the servo and smash that P.O.S. with a hammer.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rageworks
Sounds like the throddle servo took a dump.
I've seen a few servos do the same thing before.
One minute it's working fine the next minute it
slams to the full throddle position and locks.
The RTR Ofna servos are known to do this.
Remove the servo and smash that P.O.S. with a hammer.
it was a ofna servo .. i had a futaba for steering .. and since the servo smashed my car with a hammer i should return the favor ... Its so weird .. but i learned something ... i have a Nova Engine i can use .. maybe pick up a D8 or a RC8 (easy pay on Tower) .. Im just nervous to use this receiver and and radio again..
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

and i HAVE to Sell this GS racing ADV I have ... now for real or my nitro days might be over for a while sucks cause i just got into it .. after wanting to for so long ..
Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
it was a ofna servo .. i had a futaba for steering .. and since the servo smashed my car with a hammer i should return the favor ... Its so weird .. but i learned something ... i have a Nova Engine i can use .. maybe pick up a D8 or a RC8 (easy pay on Tower) .. Im just nervous to use this receiver and and radio again..
Or i can get a picco or Jammin X1X .. for 300 - 350 but they seem old and i would need to replace the servos so that adds at least 100.. so not sure that is the best i can do... and the picco is the one i just destroyed
Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jbright33
i bet the receiver overheated. futaba 3pm 2.4ghz receivers are known for this had it happen to me twice last race season. i put heat reflective tape on radio box between my motor so it reflects alot of the heat never had a problem since.

+1.

I had 3 FASST receivers do this to me. They do not like the heat inside a nitro receiver box. FASST receivers and nitro buggys don't mix. My M11 works excellent though.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mugen8605
+1.

I had 3 FASST receivers do this to me. They do not like the heat inside a nitro receiver box. FASST receivers and nitro buggys don't mix. My M11 works excellent though.

God I wish i knew that .. I guess i need to just sell it .. not worth taking the chance .. looks like i will be out of it for a while ... damn it to hell ... excuse my lingo
Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I ran across what I thought was a great deal on an almost
new RTR Picco buggy ,minus the engine. I fugured
I would use it to break-in engines and it would save
some wear and tear on my race gear in the process.
Not two minutes after firing up a sweet GRP Tuned .28,
the RTR servo took a dump and away it went. I ran a
long way to get to it, but it was to late for the engine
to be saved. The buggy landed upside down with the
engine screaming wide open. That engine cost me
over twice what I paid for the buggy. I still kick myself
in the arse for ever trusting that damned RTR servo.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rageworks
I ran across what I thought was a great deal on an almost
new RTR Picco buggy ,minus the engine. I fugured
I would use it to break-in engines and it would save
some wear and tear on my race gear in the process.
Not two minutes after firing up a sweet GRP Tuned .28,
the RTR servo took a dump and away it went. I ran a
long way to get to it, but it was to late for the engine
to be saved. The buggy landed upside down with the
engine screaming wide open. That engine cost me
over twice what I paid for the buggy. I still kick myself
in the arse for ever trusting that damned RTR servo.

Sounds like EXACTLY what happened to me .. but thank god i only had a 110 dollar engine .. I was running like hell ... but i didnt make it either ...
Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
God I wish i knew that .. I guess i need to just sell it .. not worth taking the chance .. looks like i will be out of it for a while ... damn it to hell ... excuse my lingo
Its not the radio's fault you didn't set the failsafe.. I've had my 3pm-x since they came out and have never had an issue with heat, not saying it deosn't happen. Had it in a revo last year and now in a D8t this year.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by one8updragracer
Its not the radio's fault you didn't set the failsafe.. I've had my 3pm-x since they came out and have never had an issue with heat, not saying it deosn't happen. Had it in a revo last year and now in a D8t this year.
lol ... True dat ..
Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by one8updragracer
I had the same problem with my old 3pm. The failsafe didn't always kick in. I did some testing on it with a blow dryer. When it overheated, the failsafe only kicked in about 50% of the time. Been using a M8 for the last year with no problems
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugen8605
+1.

+1 except I went to the M11X after fighting thermal shutdown. I did however have my failsafe set so I wouldn't have a run away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.