Wiki Posts
Search

Removing good tires from bad wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

I don't think I have the time for the x-acto cut method. I'm lucky to have 15 minutes where I don't have to take care my son, so I don't have time to sit with a blade to carefully cut it out. That's how I work on my cars too...15min here...take care of baby...10min there...take care of baby...2min to almost start to work on car...take care of baby...carryover to next day and so on...haha.

I'll try to see which method would be best for me. Thanks again for all the options.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm struggling to understand how a tire that's been left either in heat (300F sounds hot to me, boiling water is decently hot too I would think) or in chemicals will have the same physical/chemical properties (read: generate the same grip/life expectancy/...) as one that's never been tortured that way... do they perform the same afterwards
Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Check this out for the exacto method.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DANE_TRAIN
acetone is a good last resort. It will change the compound of the tire, and most likely ruin the insert.

What I do is wash the tire, then sit on the couch and watch tv while I use a sharp x-acto knife to slowly cut the tire from the rim. You can them reuse which ever part you need.
This is probably better since you plan to reuse the tires. I am normally only interested in the wheels.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did you call Panther about the wheel issue? The new Panther large wheels are perfect, I haven't had an issue with them. Call them and let them know what happened. If the wheels are defective you may be able to get some help.

Btw, I have a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and lid that I put like 2.5 gallons of acetone in then I take the tires (with gloves on) submerge the tires in the acetone. I squeeze the tires to fill the inside of the tire and foam to let it sink to the bottom of the bucket. By the next day I just pop off the tires off the wheels like they were never glued in the first place. I have seen Astushi Hara do the xacto knife method. That way looks pretty easy. If I have to remove tires again I will try that way.