Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pro buggy Kit for under 450?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, D8 is a great car. I've driven one for two+ seasons, and an electric conversion, and it is really nice. I can afford any car I want, and got the d8 because I wanted to get into something cheap I could beat up when getting back into r/c, but honestly... it's simple, clean, easy to work on, tough, cheap to maintain, and drives great. I'm hoping a WC edition comes out with more lightweight parts from the factory, but honestly I don't care -- the car is just dialed. I really don't have any desire to change platforms.

The main thing you have to keep on top of is CVD barrels and pins. You can rebuild all the CVDs on the car for < $20, so just buy a couple of rebuild kits and keep them on hand. After each club race, just check for excessive play and replace as a precautionary measure. It's no different than any other buggy -- run in dusty conditions, things wear out. Run in no dust, they last forever. Also most of us replace the fuel clunk line and run it with our own line or run it like the losi as the fuel clunk line could be better.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Have nothing against OD. I run MANY of their products. I just tell it how I see it. What I have seen is that the OD buggies aren't that great. Maybe the new SG's will be better. I just wouldn't put them on my list personally.

By the way, it matters very much who was in attendance at a race. It's not like a national title, where you won it no matter who was there. In a smaller scale race like the Odonnell race, if no one of note attended besides Odonnell's best drivers, having won the race doesn't really mean anything. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't really matter who is winning at the Pro level. I'm more concerned about a vehicle's competitiveness at the lower levels. From what I have seen the Odonnell vehicles aren't there yet. Maybe the SG's will change that. I can't say for sure, so I won't recommend them to anyone until I have seen it happen. For now, I recommend the tired and true. Losi, Mugen, HB, and AE.
Koby,
I'll be up at McCullough's in 2 weeks with my O'Donnell buggy. You should test drive it during practice and see what you think. I'll be at the Pro Series tomorrow too if you want to try it there. I have the Team currently until the SG is released, but once it does I'll pick it up. I let Tyler run it a few weeks ago and he said he was really impressed with how it felt and if he wasn't running the Losi he'd pick up either a Kyosho or O'Donnell.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KyLayfield
Koby,
I'll be up at McCullough's in 2 weeks with my O'Donnell buggy. You should test drive it during practice and see what you think. I'll be at the Pro Series tomorrow too if you want to try it there. I have the Team currently until the SG is released, but once it does I'll pick it up. I let Tyler run it a few weeks ago and he said he was really impressed with how it felt and if he wasn't running the Losi he'd pick up either a Kyosho or O'Donnell.
Sounds good! I'd love to give it a try. I'm just basing my opinion off of what a couple guys had to say about the OD(I think you know the two I am referring to, but I won't put any names here). I really love some of OD's stuff. I'd love to have my opinion changed about their cars.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Yes

I work on Odonnells for my friend, and I drive them to test them out after i pimp them out, and You are right, those buggies are the real deal, Turns awesome if you put a lighter front swaybar on it. The parts last forever too, just make sure and shim the diffs carefully, after break in go back and readjust them to have a long life. The nickel plating works great on the driveline parts, cvds and so on.

There was a turn after the long stait and that car nailed it every time with speed, no other car I saw or drove carried that much speed and held the line. It can be adjusted to drive like a pro car, or dialed down for the beginner with few part changes....
Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

i get a kick out of guys who say this such and such a chassis does not have much steering in it. theres ALWAYS setup changes you can make to a car to make it turn in better

since the thread is "best pro buggy kit for under $450", i will say get the Hotbodies D8. buggy is very easy to drive, flies in the air nice, and takes well to setup changes. I havent broke mine yet, another plus! as for the rest of the buggies i cant comment since i have never drove them. good luck with your new purchase whatever it is!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyle133
i get a kick out of guys who say this such and such a chassis does not have much steering in it. theres ALWAYS setup changes you can make to a car to make it turn in better

since the thread is "best pro buggy kit for under $450", i will say get the Hotbodies D8. buggy is very easy to drive, flies in the air nice, and takes well to setup changes. I havent broke mine yet, another plus! as for the rest of the buggies i cant comment since i have never drove them. good luck with your new purchase whatever it is!

+1
Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I'm not sure if these were SG's but it is quite possible they were. I know they were the upgraded ones. Not the original version. I don't know. Odonnell confuses me. They have way too many versions of their buggy. Wonder why that is? For such a short time period they certainly have a lot of different versions of the same car.
at least all the parts on the odonnell dont need changed over to KHZ and FHONY lol and how much does losi want for that super duper diff? Losi yes if you get ....free parts....they should be called kinglosi
Old 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
at least all the parts on the odonnell dont need changed over to KHZ and FHONY lol and how much does losi want for that super duper diff? Losi yes if you get ....free parts....they should be called kinglosi
Smart diffs are crap but the Losi is bar none a awesome car. It doesn't slop out like some exaggerate and u don't reall need anything from fioroni or kHz
Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Smart diffs are crap but the Losi is bar none a awesome car. It doesn't slop out like some exaggerate and u don't reall need anything from fioroni or kHz
Losi's do have slop thats what make them drive easy and "dont need KHZ" Well I guess some dont but I defiantly do. And a few fioroni parts too. I gotta agree with you on the smart diffs. I drove them for over a year and its nicer without them.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about the TQ supercross8?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Oh yeah...

Originally Posted by kyle133

I get a kick outa guys who say I get a kick outa guys...
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
I get a kick outa guys who say I get a kick outa guys...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by airsofter11
how about the TQ supercross8?
not enough part support. a local guy was on the team and raced it maybe 3 times and got rid of it and bought HB stuff
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
not enough part support. a local guy was on the team and raced it maybe 3 times and got rid of it and bought HB stuff
Was he broke or something ? Hotbodies burn !!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
aside from parts support, anything else? steering? durability?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.