Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Getting the Hot Bodies D8 >

Getting the Hot Bodies D8

Getting the Hot Bodies D8

Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sure

That's why the Novarosi bf limited is such a great buy. It's 145 bucks, and still has the reliability of a high end race engine, maybe more due to the lower rpm's that make it easier to drive too. the 100 dollar engines are not bad engines but won't last as long as spending an extra 50 bucks. Read the reviews on that engine and decide for yourself.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
I think you guys are missing my point, why spend a lot of money on a top notch engine when the risk of the damaging it is high since he will be learning how to tune it (keep in mind he never owned a nitro before). Get a cheap new engine and screw around with the needles listen, watch and learn what the engine is doing once you understand little more what the engine wants as far a tune goes the better off you'll be in the long run when its time to purchase a "race engine".. I've seen way too many new comers go out and buy a $300+ engine and blow it up in no time causing them to stay away from nitro because its "too much work and hassle to stay tuned" a lot of electric guys (myself included) are used to "plug and play" that concept doesn't work nitro cars.
i agree 100% but some of the cheaper engines and just garbage and are hard to tune. There are also a lot of engines that dont hold a tune very well. Look brand new for 150. Id get it.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...21-engine.html
Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Why is that JL bare finished when all I've seen are black ones?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Like Nv529 said. If you can afford it get 2 engines. I use one for club racing and then when there a big race I use the other engine, but what ever you decide make sure your happy with you decide with. Make sure when you break it in use a heat gun on it and get the temps close to 200 this will help the life of you engine, do it several several times to. Also make sure you air filter is tie strapped good!!! and oil good inside and out on the air filter, if not it want matter whether a used engine or a $200 engine is on. It will be junk!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Initiate

i am getting my D8 tomarrow and hopefuly racing this saturady to me HB is all around get buggy . but is still has its problems like the driveshafts and the fule tank
Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanks for the info guys.....keep it coming!!!! its helping me!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bbrace3m
i need something i can just play with and get a little experience with and learn how to tune and get used to the nitro concept. ive always been a electric guy so i have no idea about anything in nitro
my thing was that they are harder to tune and they arent all that much cheaper. so why not spend maybe 50 bucks more for a engine easier to tune and will last twice as long?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
my thing was that they are harder to tune and they arent all that much cheaper. so why not spend maybe 50 bucks more for a engine easier to tune and will last twice as long?
i will probly do that because my dad can also help me.....he works on trucks,cars and diesels for a living and all his life so he should have a better clue then me. yes im a kid if your wondering
Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sweet

i will probly do that because my dad can also help me.....he works on trucks,cars and diesels for a living and all his life so he should have a better clue then me. yes im a kid if your wondering
Oh you will have a blast. I'm 37, been racing 20 years, and a pretty darn good expert buggy driver, however, the 15-18 your olds in the Houston area are slippery as heck in the A Main. I drive as hard as I can just to keep up. You will learn fast, and it's cool your dad will help you too, a big bonus...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by merdith6
Oh you will have a blast. I'm 37, been racing 20 years, and a pretty darn good expert buggy driver, however, the 15-18 your olds in the Houston area are slippery as heck in the A Main. I drive as hard as I can just to keep up. You will learn fast, and it's cool your dad will help you too, a big bonus...
what track do you race at down there? my sister lives in shannendoha by the woodlands...i would have to come race next time im down!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

im 19. and my dad was a master technician for 20+ years and i came from racing Motocross for 10+ years, and got a career ending injury as soon as i went pro.

just from experience buy good and buy once. trying to buy cheap will make you spend 3 times as much in the end. i did that mistake and ill never buy cheap again. i still dont spend tons, the engine im running now cost 210. but i wont buy cheap.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

im 19. and my dad was a master technician for 20+ years and i came from racing Motocross for 10+ years, and got a career ending injury as soon as i went pro.

just from experience buy good and buy once. trying to buy cheap will make you spend 3 times as much in the end. i did that mistake and ill never buy cheap again. i still dont spend tons, the engine im running now cost 210. but i wont buy cheap.
i trail ride dirt bikes. but a injury in hockey ended my motocross dream quick so i only trail ride for now. i had two compound fractures at t12 and l1 and have a slip at l4 and l5...so this is all i have to go big in....i will probly get that novarossi and then upgrade from there
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

i trail ride dirt bikes. but a injury in hockey ended my motocross dream quick so i only trail ride for now. i had two compound fractures at t12 and l1 and have a slip at l4 and l5...so this is all i have to go big in....i will probly get that novarossi and then upgrade from there
youll enjoy it and i know youll be way happier with it. only thing is do NOT run nova pluggs. run a mccoy 8 or odonnell plug in it. it runs way better with those plugs. for tight track a dynamite 053 and long wide open tracks run dynamite 086. i only ran a 053 with mine though, never saw the need for the 086.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moeman
Why is that JL bare finished when all I've seen are black ones?
Its a black block, the flash from the camera is drowning out the color.
Good deal...someone should pick it up!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

youll enjoy it and i know youll be way happier with it. only thing is do NOT run nova pluggs. run a mccoy 8 or odonnell plug in it. it runs way better with those plugs. for tight track a dynamite 053 and long wide open tracks run dynamite 086. i only ran a 053 with mine though, never saw the need for the 086.
im going to wait til winter to get the buggy so i have time. going to focus on my ve8 before and get it tip top....what track do you race at?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.