R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Do your kids race? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/408032-do-your-kids-race.html)

melonpeel 06-14-2010 08:20 AM

Do your kids race?

I have two boys 7 and 11 and they're just not showing any interest. I'm hesitant to invest in a couple race rigs and have them sit on the shelf. I'd love to get them into it and all go race. You know the deal with family, I can't justify ditching everyone all day saturday and/or sunday after working all week. But.. if I could get them into it.. I get to race! (and have pit crew). I loved building tamiya kits as a kid, maybe that's the way to spark some interest.

If your kids race with you, how did it all begin?

MadRussian 06-14-2010 08:26 AM

My children are 8&9, and I bought them each Slash 4x4s, put them in training mode, and they have a blast racing in the kids class.
BTW they have proven MOST durable, props to Traxxas on making such a great r/c car

jmaxey51 06-14-2010 08:26 AM

i say get them a slash. in our area with have a kids class, for 13 year olds and under. it run what you have but almost always they have a slash or some sort of short course, stock RTR.

jmaxey51 06-14-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MadRussian (Post 7539844)
My children are 8&9, and I bought them each Slash 4x4s, put them in training mode, and they have a blast racing in the kids class.
BTW they have proven MOST durable, props to Traxxas on making such a great r/c car

these are two of the kids that run in our area. his kids have the biggest smiles on everytime they are at the track and def. when they get trophies. i have never seen a kid get so excited about anything until i saw his kids race for the first time.

mudboger07 06-14-2010 08:38 AM

My son started racing last year after getting him a couple of rtr's, I took him to a race to shwo him what its all about and he liked it, I think it's the fun of racing against everyone that he likes. We tried rock crawling and he didnt care for it to much as it wasnt side by side racing but after seeing off road he fell in love with it. I acutally dont race I pit for him and work on his cars, I stick to flying rc....lol. It takes awhile for a kid to get used to racing sometimes but it's all for fun...he's now 4th in points in 1/8 buggy and 1st in points in pro 2 corr trk....can you say proud dad.......:nod::nod:

jdcavin 06-14-2010 08:45 AM

We started out races a couple years ago and my son loves the sport. I don't drive, all I do is keep his stuff running and pay the bills. which i dont mind. He's 13 now and moved up to expert this year and is really doin great. He races a rc8b,rc8be,rc8t-ce and a blitz. We really enjoy the time we spend together at the races and making road trips. I hope one day to see him up there with the big dogs in Pro.

David Wall 06-14-2010 08:56 AM

My boy is 11 and he TQ'd the truggy class then went on to win the a Main as well, he has been at it for two and a half years, started with a 10th scale nitro truck, but I exposed him to all levels, he has run 1/10 buggy, 1/10 nitro and electric truck,mini truggy, slash, and Truggy. He like truggy the best and it shows as he was out doing my fast lap times in 8th buggy saturday night. It is a good feeling for me to TQ and win 8th buggy and see my son do the same in Truggy!!

token 06-14-2010 08:59 AM

My 12 year old has had RC cars since he came out. Now he is in BSA but he has a D8 with a Nova 21-5 engine. He loves this stuff. Maybe one day he gets time to race more...

Sprinkler 06-14-2010 09:07 AM

My son is now 14 years old. We have been racing together for about a year and a half now. We really enjoy doing it together and he is getting better and better every weekend.

halfman 06-14-2010 10:14 AM

Im 13 and I love to race! I have been racing for about 1 and half years and recently tq`d open buggy at rc pro series rnd 2. Took third in the main.:nod: hope you can get your kids into it.

Pin2Win 06-14-2010 10:51 AM

I was at the race Halfman good job!

I got my son into it just by taking him to the track with me. He's 6 and loves flipping over the cars. I then got him a xxxt and he was having fun. I recently bought him a slash 4x4 pe and he is really having fun. He is amazing me at how fast he is picking everything up. Just take your kids with you and let them see everything that goes on and maybe they will dig it.

mattozx6rr 06-14-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by melonpeel (Post 7539825)
I have two boys 7 and 11 and they're just not showing any interest. I'm hesitant to invest in a couple race rigs and have them sit on the shelf. I'd love to get them into it and all go race. You know the deal with family, I can't justify ditching everyone all day saturday and/or sunday after working all week. But.. if I could get them into it.. I get to race! (and have pit crew). I loved building tamiya kits as a kid, maybe that's the way to spark some interest.

If your kids race with you, how did it all begin?

Right there with you,:rolleyes: neither of my boys shows any interest. Mine are 11 and 15. oldest one showed a little interest so I got him a truck and about a week later it was shelved. I was hoping they would embrace it as well so I could race more than once a month but no luck.:cry: trying to get my fam to go to the track for the day is akin to pulling teeth.:flaming: So I beg and plead people to pit for me when I do race and quickly return the favor to them.

Slider30250 06-14-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sprikler (Post 7539999)
My son is now 14 years old. We have been racing together for about a year and a half now. We really enjoy doing it together and he is getting better and better every weekend.

I can personally vouch for John's son, he is an amazing driver and a genuinely nice person.

mugenize1 06-14-2010 11:23 AM

I started my son at the age of 7yr old with an HPI MT electric and he likes it, He always wanted to race me and the guys in my hood so i got him to run my MBX5T now all he wants to do is run nitro fuel cars. I have a blast with him. Now my 16yr old boy he has an Hyper7 and an HPI super nitro but never ever use them. I think you ehter love the sport when you see them run or you just end up liking it just to look at.

deweyharding 06-14-2010 11:25 AM

My two girls 12 and 10 both race.