Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many holes in your tire/wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

now can someone please tell me what the advantage is of having holes in the tires than having holes in the wheels? well other than the dirt getting in there.i have never tried putting holes in my tires i always drilled them through the wheel.i have always thought that if i had holes in my tires actualy more watter and dirt would get in.can someone explain a bit further for my please.thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mackeclipse
now can someone please tell me what the advantage is of having holes in the tires than having holes in the wheels? well other than the dirt getting in there.i have never tried putting holes in my tires i always drilled them through the wheel.i have always thought that if i had holes in my tires actualy more watter and dirt would get in.can someone explain a bit further for my please.thanks
NEVER PUT HOLES IN THE WHEEEEELLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Holes in the wheel allow debris into the tire and don't provide any means of escape. Holes in the tire allow less debris into the tire, and at the same time create an escape for any debris/water that does make it's way into the tire. Centrifugal force will fling any debris that got in, out of the holes in the tire.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

YES SIR!!! lol ok looks like im shoegooing the wheel holes and putting holes in my tires
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Not gonna happen! I've already done it and saw no positive difference.

Im going to agree...Newer gen foams do Not require all the venting some Inserts needed in the past therefor I Never use more then 2 holes as i also have experimented with more or less and 2 is the magic # for me.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Im going to agree...Newer gen foams do Not require all the venting some Inserts needed in the past therefor I Never use more then 2 holes as i also have experimented with more or less and 2 is the magic # for me.
Man, I think you're just being lazy! j/k
Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

here are my theories:
Each tire / foam combo has its own track / condition for its optimal use
knowing this I treat all accordingly (within my realm of ideals)
Small pin tires that are run on "clean" surfaces ( low dust / indoor) that get water cleaned frequently get 2 holes on the inside of rim.

Meduim pin tires that may be used on clean surface but mostly outdoor get
2 holes inside rim AND 2 holes ( 3/16") outside tire ( rim holes are taped closed)

Large pin tires for fluffy dirt tracks get 2 (1/4") holes in tire only

My reasoning here is i dont want to get the foams water soaked reducing life.
If I make a hole on the inside I can open it and safley blow the dirt out (without blowing up a tire)
If i need to clean a tire with "outer holes" then I plug them or just be real careful not to get water inside
i use black tape to seal inside holes
I have a Craftsman hole punch for tires off the rim or i use a hand held hole punch in a drill to make a hole i forgot before mounting

Either way, I cannot tell a big difference in having more vent holes in a tire espescially with a closed cell foam.

And yes i laughed when Arco said (his tire sealed to the ground)..
Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jammin32j
I use the closed cell foams so I can get away with just two holes. To be honest when I used the softer foams I only used two holes and didn't notice a difference. But that could be just my lack of experience.
one hole is all that is needed (for aka tires and foam anyway).