Wiki Posts
Search

What should i get? Truggy or Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default What should i get? Truggy or Buggy

Ok so i've pretty much decided on getting a new losi 8ight 2.0, but i can't decide which would be better a truggy or buggy. I'm leaning twords the truggy but i'm not sure that class of vehicles is here to stay in the long run. I am looking for something that is competitive from the get go, and i like the fact it comes with a killer radio and is ready to race out of the box (after break in of course). I have had nitro trucks for about 10 years now starting with the nitro quake from duratrax and then moving to a t-maxx. I even have had a kyosho usa1 nitro truck in the past. So anyhow i have the fuel and accessories already, so which one should i buy? I see videos of buggies flying through the air with ease but i also hear truggys are easier to drive and race. So which one should i get? Thanks for your replies in advance!

Should i consider another buggy or truggy altogether? I'm open to suggestions.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Well if you are set on a truggy you should loook at the Mugen MBX6T they are better at handling,jumping a little better than a losi 2.0 but both good truggys
Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah but that one requires a motor, electronics, etc. I'm looking for something abit cheaper to get started with and with the radio that the losi includes i can get into one alot cheaper and end up with a pretty compitant racer, or so i think. Thanks for the suggestion though, thats just alittle more work than i'd like to take on at this point
Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by No Idea!!
Well if you are set on a truggy you should loook at the Mugen MBX6T they are better at handling,jumping a little better than a losi 2.0 but both good truggys
You really do have no idea.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

HB D8, 2 Ace 1313 servos, OFNA truggy box, Spektrum DX3E radio, Orion Alpha with 2066 pipe and manifold $727......just something else to think about Thats from Amainhobbies
Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by l3asher
You really do have no idea.
Great point? That post had absolutely zero contribution to the thread. Instead of defending your little Losi, help out.

How much are you looking to spend on your new truggy/buggy? Good place to start.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

If you are used to driving monster trucks, I would think that it would be an easier transition to move to a truggy...
Old 06-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well to be honest i really don't want to spend too much. This is one of many hobbies i have and in the past i've always gotten bored and have done other things, so the chances of me doing the same thing this time are pretty high. However this time around i have found some local tracks within an hour or so from my home so at least i have some place to run them, so hopefully i'll stick with it this time around.

I don't mind working on my vehicles as that is half of the fun imo, but at the same time i don't want to have to complete the build with a new radio, servos, etc. If i had a really nice radio setup already i'd be more willing to buy a race roller and just complete that but by the time you add in the spektrum radio you are talking another $200 on top of the servos that are needed.

I'm certainly not a cheap person by any means, but i have realistic expectations on bank for my buck when it comes to this hobby. I certainly don't want a money pit, which is why i chose the losi brand in the first place. Traxxas vehicles tend to be money pits from what i've experienced in the past as you need a ton of aftermarket parts to make them competitive with what others are running.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default Options

Well, from my experience buggy is cheaper than truggy.. If you want to try and get a used truggy then post an ad here on rctech in the wanted to buy forum.. I run the HB D8T truggy.. I believe they are around 300 new as a roller..

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ion-Truggy-Kit

The D8 buggy is on the cheaper side too. People say that the HB D8 and D8T wear faster than other trucks but I haven't noticed that nor have I broken any parts so far.. I order my parts online in bulk however many people like to base their trucks on local hobby shop availability.. option to ponder over.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well from the prices i've found online i can get either the losi 8ight 2.0 truggy or buggy for about $650 and thats ready to run with a really nice radio. To be honest that radio really has me sold and instead of just buying it outright i figure i could throw a couple more bucks that way and just get a ready to run truggy or buggy.

The buggys flying through the air are very impressive, however i don't think i could do it nearly as good as the ones in the videos, so therefore the truggy seems like it would be my best bet. Plus it comes with the larger engine which appeals to me as well. I dunno, the buggys are light and nimble but the truggy is powerful and easier to drive. Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

sounds like you've already made your decision up on getting a truggy.

they are still a great package and if you get hooked you always have the option to upgrade.

in saying that. i'm a buggy person myself. the buggy with it's .21 engine will slot straight into comps. the truggy having the larger .28 engine might not be allowed in some race meetings because of the larger engine.. the .21 will normally provide better run time and as much if not more power through the engine.

like others have said, the buggy will be cheaper to run. you also stated that you get bored quickly, so i would tend to think the buggy would be more suited to you as it will give you something to strive for and keep coming back to, to get your driving skills honed in. jumps really aren't that difficult. just start off slow until you see your buggy's characteristics and then start taking jumps a little harder.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

How big are your tracks? Buggies can excel at tighter tracks.
How bumpy are your tracks? Are they giant motocross style tracks? Truggy would work better.

The Losi RTR is fine. Put in 2 Hitec 7955 servos and a 2s lipo rx pack unregulated and your set! Did Losi fix the radio tray yet? You may want to do some research there.

I'm picky on radio gear and motors, even I am impressed by the Losi RTR. I'm usually a RTR hater. Truggies to me are all about wicked horsepower and backflips. I'd want an OS .28xz or NR FMS.

The Mugen 6T deos rock though.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Prophet

from a former 1/8 buggy driver now driving a truggy, yea i would remmend a truggy there a blast you, cant get bored from driving them.

the eight 2.0 t rtr is a really good deal just replace the steering servo, and run the stock engine intill it goes bad than get a race .21 engine.

i agree with zero if its a big ruff rutty, offroad track truggy is the choice defility not buggy.

the only downside to truggy is the tires, are a bit more but last longer than buggy tires .
Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

The tracks around here are specially made for rc, one of them is pretty small compared to the other track. But a truggy or buggy would be just fine at either. Both feature jumps no bigger than 2 1/2 -3ft high and those are the large jumps. I could see either a truggy or buggy flying around both tracks with ease.

I do have some issues at one track with my monster truck but thats mostly due to its layout, blind areas, poorly placed jumps, etc. In fact that track if it weren't for the races, prizes and they are open later in the evening, i wouldn't even think about going back to again. But it is what it is and if i want to compete i'll just have to adapt one way or another.

I do notice short course trucks are very popular at both but that seems too competitive and they mostly run electrics, so i don't know if its something i would want to get into right now.

Honestly i know it sounds like i am leaning twords the truggy at this point, but in reality the buggy kinda sounds like something i can take and race anywhere, whereas the truggy might be more difficult to find competition. I just don't know at this point and was hoping to get some opinions on which route would be best suited for me.

I do understand the smaller engine in the buggy doesn't mean its not every bit as quick as its a much lighter chassis.

Honestly right now i'm really leaning twords the buggy, it just feels like a class that will be around for a long time as its been around ever since i started getting into rc's some 20 years ago.

My first rc was an electric buggy from sears, my little brother and i got them for christmas and i wore the tires off that thing. If it hadn't broke and i had no way of getting replacement parts i would probably still have it today. Thats back when the radios were 2 sticks and batteries took an hour to charge on the quick charger
Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

In fact before getting the buggys(i know its buggies) for christmas i got a buggy from my neighbor across the street. He was a sales manager at the local sears catalog store in greenville, mi. Anyhow he had one that was returned and broken so he gave it to me to see if i could fix it. My dad and i fixed it several times by melting the plastic to mend the pieces together but a few hours later it would break again in the same spot. I'd bug my dad every night to fix it for me.

Eventually he got tired and the part would just not mend together as the plastic was way out of shape and had deterioted to the point it would no longer hold its shape. So any how that christmas is when my little brother and i got our first buggies.

So my journey with rc's is probably some 23-25 years in the making. I sound old but honestly i'm only 31,heh. From a very young age nitros interested me, i always hated to recharge the battery packs for only another 10 minutes of runtime.

I used to get tower hobbies catalog some 20 years ago in the mail and i always wanted a usa1 monster truck by kyosho, well eventually i saved up enough money and bought one. Only i had no idea how to put it together. I tried to put it together for a couple weeks and got tired of it and threw the parts in a box. I then went up to hobbytown in rockford, il and grabbed a nitro quake rtr. It was a great little truck and got me started in nitro. But eventually the t-maxx gained popularity and bought one of those to keep up with the jones.

I sunk about a grand or so in hopups on the t-maxx and the new t-maxx's are still faster and able to handle the jumps alot better than my truck does. So its frustrating to say the least. So here i am, once again with money burning a hole in my pocket and trying to decide what vehicle to buy next. I don't want to waste my money this time around and i already have 2 monster trucks (altho the t-maxx is the only truck i ever drive anymore the nitro quake just gathers dust).

This is why i am leaning twords the buggy. I had one growing up, enjoyed the hell out of it but decided to go bigger as most folks were buying t-maxx's or whatever the latest truck is at the time. I'm tired of playing catch up, i just want something i can complete with on a track no matter its size or layout or makeup. Something thats versital and can be adapted to whatever conditions i need it to be set at. Of course i have a t-maxx already so if large jumps are in play that will be the vehicle of choice, otherwise i'd like to rip around the track as quickly as possible and not worry about too many roll overs.

Sorry for the long posts, but talking about this has brang back all kinds of fond memories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.