HB D8 vs. OD Z01B >

HB D8 vs. OD Z01B

HB D8 vs. OD Z01B

Old 06-04-2010, 02:58 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default HB D8 vs. OD Z01B

There's a lot of good deals on used D8 rollers lately and I'm wondering how the D8 compares to the Z01B Team in handling, quality, durability, etc. I just picked up a Z01B Team myself and I'm trying to get friend into 1/8-scale (he's been in and out on his decision because he keeps spending money on his other hobby). We can get a used D8 roller and used Z01B Team roller for similar price, so if anyone owns or have driven both, please chime in with your impressions of each.
From what I've read through the D8 thread, the D8 (at least early versions, though I've seen some recent accounts) CVDs seem to have wear issues and the front center driveshaft seems to wear quickly (due to a combo of the angle and material?). I've also read (only 1 review comparing the two though) that the D8 felt more stable.
Thanks.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have both right now and i can tell you the D8 is better in every single way except maybe customer service. OD does have better drive-train, it doesnt wear as fast. the OD turns like no other, alot of the time there is to much steering. my biggest problem is having rear traction but their new SG buggy thats coming out late june fixes that from what i have heard. but i had alot of DNS when i first got the OD, plastic parts failing because the screws were pulling out. now with the D8 the only thing that is needed is the Aluminum servo horn for the steering and your set. parts wear a little quicker but over the D8 is better IMO. more consistant is the biggest difference, the D8 is so predictable its not even funny. also if the D8 gets out of shape (which rarely happens) it will settle itself down on it own. plus the HB is cheaper on everything parts wise, but IMO you cant beat either one, they are my two favorite buggies. but i like the HB more . but customer service on OD just cannot be beat IMO. not bashing on HB service but OD goes over and beyond with their support.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i don't have a whole lot of experience with the OD but i do with the D8. these are great car. cheap and competative. they are starting to become less competeative now but it you upgrade the car you wilhave no problems. parts and upgrades for the D8 are very cheap and easy to come by. great car, great fun.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

oh i meant to say my D8s are box stock with the exception of the aluminum servo horn. i have never driven such a great buggy. its EXTREMELY competitive straight out of the box.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

its all about personal preference. i have put lots of light weight parts on my cars just to keep up with the other more light wieght cars but other don't have this problem.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cluffy1
its all about personal preference. i have put lots of light weight parts on my cars just to keep up with the other more light wieght cars but other don't have this problem.
yeah that personal preference, i drove one with all the light weight stuff on it and i didnt like it, didnt feel as planted and wanted to bounce around to much for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

HB all the way, I've seen some people go back and forth giving different brand cars a shot for a while and they did better with the D8 than the OD car. Customer service, if you need it you'll be dealing with HPI to handle the HB customer service support. If anyone's had personal experience with HPI's customer service, then most likely they would say it's very good.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

HB and OD have the best cust service/support in the market that simple..

Jesse... excellent racing yesterday here in the south
Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
JSR
Tech Master

I've called HPI customer service twice and both were good experiences, but not the over-the-top good that I often see reported (where they'll offer the replacement part for free without even my asking).
Old 06-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JSR
I've called HPI customer service twice and both were good experiences, but not the over-the-top good that I often see reported (where they'll offer the replacement part for free without even my asking).
do you own a HB? i thought you were asking which one to go with??

but also its mainly on new kits and such. no company is just going to give you free parts for no reason, they had problems with some kits and they knew it so they help them. they will help you if its a problem that are known or such. there customer service is great and so is O'donnell. both are by far the best in the business.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like the OD but it has to be the SG, I did't like the D8

the OD team is racier and higher on wheels, so it drives better
parts are cheaper and certainly much better quality
the toeplates in the OD are much more refined than those of the D8
the towers and anodisation look brand new after a saison = quality all parts
Mr OD makes the buggy evoluate all the time too
- evo chassis is bending, shafts look fragile and you need parts

my experience with a d8 : looks cheap and heavy
the rear d8 wingmount is pushing against the reartower to high up and is too rigid, so the tower bends
radioboxes are too small
axles shoot out of the toeplates on impact, also in the front because there is lacking a tab
rear hubs are weak made with plastic out off "Kindersurprise" and one have to cut them so they don't touch the arms and have play on their axle
the rear arms are to large at the root, to go between the rear toeplates, so again they have to be cut to size(means dismounting the lot 5-6 times to check if it's alright)
the silicone tube inside the tank is looping on impact , you have to mount a Losi one
airfilter is too large and clumsy
option parts too costly
many screws that are too long and heavy( 3x18 mm to close the diffs! while other use 3x12)

Last edited by speedy2; 12-06-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
yeah that personal preference, i drove one with all the light weight stuff on it and i didnt like it, didnt feel as planted and wanted to bounce around to much for me.
Interesting, as all their top drivers always run all the lightened accessories.
Perhaps it wasn't setup right?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
do you own a HB? i thought you were asking which one to go with??

but also its mainly on new kits and such. no company is just going to give you free parts for no reason, they had problems with some kits and they knew it so they help them. they will help you if its a problem that are known or such. there customer service is great and so is O'donnell. both are by far the best in the business.
I have an HPI E-Savage also and had some minor issues. On the boards, people said when they called in that they were just offered the part that was known to be problematic. When I called, they said I'd have to send it in and some other stuff, so I just bought some parts instead as it would've cost just as much to send it in.

So far it seems the D8 is winning by a big margin in feedback/reviews. In another thread, someone mentioned their D8 has all the lightened parts and weighs in at 8lbs 14oz...virtually 9lbs...pretty heavy considering it's been lightened. I guess that additional weight contributes to it's stability.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default Wow.

Originally Posted by speedy2
I like the OD, I dislike the D8

the OD team is racier and higher on wheels, so it drives better
parts are cheaper and certainly much better quality
the toeplates in the OD are much more refined than those of the D8
the towers and anodisation look brand new after a saison
Mr OD makes the buggy evoluate all the time too

d8 looks cheap
the rear d8 wingmount is pushing against the reartower to high
and is too rigid, so the tower bends
radioboxes are too small
axles shoot out of the toeplates on impact, also in the front because there is lacking a tab
rear hubs are weak made with plastic out off "Kindersurprise" and one have to cut them so they don't touch the arms
the rear arms are to large to go between the rear toeplates, so again they have to be cut to size( means dismount the lot 5-6 times to check if it's alright)
the silicone tube inside the tank is looping on impact , you have to mount a Losi one
airfilter is too large and clumsy
option parts too costly
many screws that are too long and heavy

Haven't seen so many false statements in one post... ever. If your going to use "too" as an adverb, make sure its not "to" when your criticizing something. D8 does not look cheap, thats your personal opinion. Your rear wing statement makes ZERO sense, I have raced three different companies and never saw a rear wing mount that was rigid enough to bend a rear tower! Radioboxes are tight, however I've had no problems, after all this is a race truck/buggy? Do you want a hotel sized radio box taking up chassis room? Once again, your wrong on the rear hubs.. no modifications need to be made and most of us replace them with CNC/Jet hubs anyways. LOL if the rear arms were too wide so that you had to shave them!?!? That is clearly a joke as they DO NOT do that.. do you really think HB would release a-arms that don't fit?? And once again! My tank has worked flawlessly, no flameouts/problems with my tank.. who runs stock airfilters? Its too large or do you just don't know how to mount an airfilter?

This is the best comment you had... screws that are too long/heavy!!! Like, what? I guess your saying you want screws that are too short so they come out? Your right.. your post has officially become banished for having ZERO factual information. WOW

Coming from someone who runs the D8, you will enjoy the truck and I have made ZERO modifications beyond my personal setup. I have yet to break a part and its been 3 months of racing in hot AZ weather. The option parts are not expensive... unless your buying the king headz parts.. go with JET aftermarket and its not too pricey.

The OD is a very good buggy as well, I won't be spitting blibber blabber about that company when I don't know that much about it as Speedy2 clearly does. Maybe you need to learn to build a kit Speedy, as I have read just about the entire D8/D8T thread and didn't see one of your issues besides the radio box..

Last edited by scoopdaloop; 06-07-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

his sig says team OD. So maybe he should post some points on that buggy instead of the other way around?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.