R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   help clutch slipping? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/404204-help-clutch-slipping.html)

lewis666 06-01-2010 06:53 AM

help clutch slipping?

i have recently rebuilt my spare car, a team magic M1B. i tested it at my local track a couple of weeks ago and i noticed the clutch was slipping.i have only just got round to looking at it due to exams and i looked at the clutch itself and it looks good, only a little wear.

i am using the clutch bell from my old spare car due to team magic M1B not including clutch bell when bought. is it the clutch bell?

any thoughts?

many thanks

lewis

Madbrad 06-01-2010 06:58 AM

Wht do you mean by slipping ? Is the motor reving and teh car not moving ? If that is the case i would suggest checking to make sure the nut on the flywheel is tight.

lewis666 06-01-2010 07:09 AM

no the car has drive. the clutch is coming in contact with the clutch bell it sometimes slip (between clutch and clutch bell) and it is very slow. i have looked at the clutch and it looks ok

any thoughts

lewis

SteveP 06-01-2010 09:32 AM

I'm not so sure it's the clutch. It's pretty rare that a clutch slips intermittently. It's either good or bad. Just to be sure you can clean it, but if it's not worn too much, I think it might be the engine tune, diff set-up, or possibly something loose or binding in the drivetrain.

scoopdaloop 06-01-2010 09:36 AM

Hmmm

By slipping do you mean the clutch is engaging when off throttle?

Not sure exactly how your explaining this but here is what I would do... tear the clutch bell off, check the inner/outer bearings for any gritty play. Take fine sand paper and smooth out the inside of your clutch bell, take off your clutch shoes and check your springs.. how old are your springs? Make sure your flywheel nut is tightened down all the way...

What engine are you running?

Bengsch85 06-01-2010 09:52 AM

I put a new carb on my Pro .28 and when i tried it for the first time i thought the clutch had went out. It would seem to rev up but the car would barely crawl along. One of the other drivers came over and helped tune the engine. Turns out it was so rich it would barely move the car so check the tune of the engine before you condemn your clutch.

lewis666 06-01-2010 10:56 AM

i have a force .25 and i havent used the engine for a while due to rebuilding car. when i throttle the engine, very similar to a normal car. it slips when i have higher revs resulting in the car going very slow on the straights. i noticed a big gap between clutch bell and clutch shoes.i have changed the flywheel to a chunkier one (hpi purple one) since because the old flywheel was very thin chewing up the wheel on my starter box.

would a new clutch bell help. it is very old would that be the problem?

many thanks

lewis

Signal151 06-01-2010 11:34 AM

Was the clutch rebuilt when you worked on the car? My initial thought is that the clutch is either oversprung or the shoes are extremely worn. If you just rebuit the clutch maybe you put on springs that are too heavy? If you didn't rebuilt the clutch then it sounds like you may need to.

The other possibility is that the bell you used from your other car is incompatible with the clutch.

newuserlosi8t 06-01-2010 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Signal151 (Post 7484070)
Was the clutch rebuilt when you worked on the car? My initial thought is that the clutch is either oversprung or the shoes are extremely worn. If you just rebuit the clutch maybe you put on springs that are too heavy? If you didn't rebuilt the clutch then it sounds like you may need to.

The other possibility is that the bell you used from your other car is incompatible with the clutch.

+1 i agree teardown ur clutch and check everything again try a diffrent spring combo. i have a losi clutch and run aluminum shoes with black and gold spings

petevette 06-01-2010 04:00 PM

Sounds like the flywheel nut to me. Check the clutch bell for any oil residue.

cluffy1 06-01-2010 04:18 PM

get some engine clear or something that will remove all the grit and oil on the clutch.

are the bearings on the new?

if they are their is your problem.

take the inner bear out and clear all of the grease and/ or oil of it. this should fix the problem.

are you running carbon shoes?

if you are then scuff up the shoes to get rid of the glazzing. this can also stop the clutch from working propperly

dreaux 06-01-2010 05:08 PM

Put in some new avid metal sealed bearings in my clutch bell this week and I heard my clutch shoes sliping on the inside of the flywheel. Well there was wet slag all over the inside of my clutch bell. The clutch bearings had to much greese in them. I bought a couple tubes of them and need to contact avid as ask them what is up. That aint cool. looks like i will have to spray them all down with brake cleaner and put oil in it.

lewis666 06-02-2010 10:23 AM

i have found out the problem the old clutch bell is to big for the flywheel. there is a gap between the sides of the clutch bell and the shoes. you can even see into the clutch. i am getting the new clutch bell tomorrow and i will test it and report back.

many thanks for the help

lewis

token 06-02-2010 11:57 AM

If its a losi bell, you need new shoes and springs, never seen a bell stretch

lewis666 06-02-2010 12:34 PM

no this is the force engine for my team magic M1B im talking about.

my losi is fine:)

many thanks

lewis