Search
Like Tree6Likes

had a runaway, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deadmancourt
that does make sense! is there a way to seal the rubber boot on the lever side?...it is starting to show a tiny bit of fuel!...the boot to carb side is sealed!
nope makes me mad, but you just have to buy a new rubber boot. they arent much. also when you change it make sure your carb slid is smooth and has no play in it.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

UM , the boot is only for dust protection . If fuel is leaking it is either the carb. slide or carb housing . I had one that was leaking , i took slide out , cleaned it real good & it stopped leaking for a while but it has started back so i am replacing the slide .
Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

*update*

Well I finally got my servo and put it in. I set the motor back to factory settings and went from there. After alot of tuning I got it going pretty good. Stays idling, puts out blue smoke, rather fast, and temps around 250*.

PROBLEM:

Every time I hit a jump I made in my back yard the buggy revvs high once in mid air, causing out of control landing. I have to hit the brakes to stop the revving. I know its not me b/c im letting off the throttle after I leave the jump, this thing is doing it on its own! It makes the buggy "nose-up" in mid air, almost completely vertical. What do I have set wrong? Or what can I test to see if everything is right? Weather its my electronics or what. As far as my servo, it appears to be working properly when sitting down. Now you may automatically assume that my idle is too high, well the buggy idles fine to me when I bring it to me and put it on the starter box (wheels off the ground)
Old 06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
*update*

Well I finally got my servo and put it in. I set the motor back to factory settings and went from there. After alot of tuning I got it going pretty good. Stays idling, puts out blue smoke, rather fast, and temps around 250*.

PROBLEM:

Every time I hit a jump I made in my back yard the buggy revvs high once in mid air, causing out of control landing. I have to hit the brakes to stop the revving. I know its not me b/c im letting off the throttle after I leave the jump, this thing is doing it on its own! It makes the buggy "nose-up" in mid air, almost completely vertical. What do I have set wrong? Or what can I test to see if everything is right? Weather its my electronics or what. As far as my servo, it appears to be working properly when sitting down. Now you may automatically assume that my idle is too high, well the buggy idles fine to me when I bring it to me and put it on the starter box (wheels off the ground)
Your idle mixture is too rich and your idle gap is too wide. When your buggy is sitting on the box does the idle hang at a mid or high RPM for a second or too before settling down.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

yes it does.

Is that two different things you are talking about? idle mixture and idle gap? Or is that both the idle screw?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

yes it does.

Is that two different things you are talking about? idle mixture and idle gap? Or is that both the idle screw?
Idle mixture would be LSN, Idle gap would be idle screw.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

yes it does.

Yes, the idle gap is just your idle speed adjustment, also referred as "idle gap".

Start by leaning out your idle 1 hour, rev the engine to clear it, your idle speed should hang for a little longer than before, lean your idle another hour and repeat reving the engine. you will get to a point where your idle speed wont come back down. At that point lower your idle speed back down to where you want it. Start back with leaning the idle mixture and reving the engine to clear it. If you go more than 4 hours lean on idle then richen your high speed needle 1 to 2 hours. Soon you will get to a point where you cannot lower your idle speed with the idle speed screw, you will finally be lean on the idle at this point. Richen up the idle mixture just enough to allow you to set the idle speed with the idle speed screw and you can go and tune your high speed from there. The only other thing to watch for when you begin tuning the high speed is a lean bog when you take off. If you cannot tune the bog out with the high speed needle and still have good perfomance then richen your idle 1 hour and reset your idle speed then continue tuning the high speed needle.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

got ya. I will try that and get back.

also, which should I adjust first? and how will I know when both are correct?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slider30250
Yes, the idle gap is just your idle speed adjustment, also referred as "idle gap".

Start by leaning out your idle 1 hour, rev the engine to clear it, your idle speed should hang for a little longer than before, lean your idle another hour and repeat reving the engine. you will get to a point where your idle speed wont come back down. At that point lower your idle speed back down to where you want it. Start back with leaning the idle mixture and reving the engine to clear it. If you go more than 4 hours lean on idle then richen your high speed needle 1 to 2 hours. Soon you will get to a point where you cannot lower your idle speed with the idle speed screw, you will finally be lean on the idle at this point. Richen up the idle mixture just enough to allow you to set the idle speed with the idle speed screw and you can go and tune your high speed from there. The only other thing to watch for when you begin tuning the high speed is a lean bog when you take off. If you cannot tune the bog out with the high speed needle and still have good perfomance then richen your idle 1 hour and reset your idle speed then continue tuning the high speed needle.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

It sounds more complex than it really is, once you start tuning your idle you will understand.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you have a throttle return on the carb ? Most people use a rubber band to make sure the throttle is closing all the way . It does sound like the tune is slightly off , but i have seen people mess with the tune a long time only to figure out the throttle is slow to return to idle .
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by romax
Do you have a throttle return on the carb ? Most people use a rubber band to make sure the throttle is closing all the way . It does sound like the tune is slightly off , but i have seen people mess with the tune a long time only to figure out the throttle is slow to return to idle .
It's not the throttle return, he said it idled fine on the box.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

yes, I have a rubber band and a spring for return. It goes fully closed when servo returns to neutral on its own

and the "too lean" bog I hear people talk about, does that happen when your in upper RPMs driving and try to WOT real fast and it bogs down, maybe even cutting off? Bc earlier when I was out test-tuning I had this issue. Morely I was having trouble with the bog from take off. Like stop and let sit for a couple seconds an then try and take off and I got a bog then it would slowly take off. Its not too bad now but like I say in mid air its revving way high, but not when sitting in the box. I think my reason for my "too lean bog" was that I was getting low temps (190-210) so I kept leaning the HSN, BUT, I use the Spektrum telemetry and I think I had the probe too high on the head. where should I stick probe on head?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yes, I have a rubber band and a spring for return. It goes fully closed when servo returns to neutral on its own

and the "too lean" bog I hear people talk about, does that happen when your in upper RPMs driving and try to WOT real fast and it bogs down, maybe even cutting off? Bc earlier when I was out test-tuning I had this issue. Morely I was having trouble with the bog from take off. Like stop and let sit for a couple seconds an then try and take off and I got a bog then it would slowly take off. Its not too bad now but like I say in mid air its revving way high, but not when sitting in the box. I think my reason for my "too lean bog" was that I was getting low temps (190-210) so I kept leaning the HSN, BUT, I use the Spektrum telemetry and I think I had the probe too high on the head. where should I stick probe on head?

the telemetry is not accurate at all, IMO dont use it. but yes your running out of fuel at WOT, that is very rough on the engine, it could make it fail prematurely. my advice is get a decent temp gun or borrow someones. also ask someone to help you. also if there is no smoke its to lean, it should have good smoke. if its running great and smoking then leave it alone, dont keep leaning it or anything unless its way hot. i use temp as a guide line but not strictly for tuning. my engines have had long life spans, i had an used STS engine i bought for 60 bucks make it 4-5 gallons. and the guy i brought it from said it has probably 5 or so gallons on it.

also if you have a question about tuning that engine send romax a PM, he is my dad and tuned that engine up.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

so you mostly go by smoke and sound right?

Also, about the smoke, is that for the HSN setting ONLY? Or can the LSN have a real effect on the smoke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.