Wiki Posts
Search

what do you use to clean.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default what do you use to clean.....

I took apart a couple diffs I have for a 2wd buggy and I am going to clean them up. I used to use some type of motor cleaner to soak the pieces in to get them cleaned off, but I have been out of that for awhile now. This may have been discussed on previous threads but I do not have the time to read through them so my question is:

what do you use to clean greasy parts in your RC vehicles?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by storytyme
I took apart a couple diffs I have for a 2wd buggy and I am going to clean them up. I used to use some type of motor cleaner to soak the pieces in to get them cleaned off, but I have been out of that for awhile now. This may have been discussed on previous threads but I do not have the time to read through them so my question is:

what do you use to clean greasy parts in your RC vehicles?

Thanks in advance.
i use shelite and its cheap and i use a tea strainer (diff dunker ) and the case i blow out and use a rag
hope this helps ya
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Simple green and a tooth brush, rinse with water.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

MEK is awesome for diff cleaning. Methyl Ethyl Ketone and a Tea Strainer. Slap your parts in the strainer....put some MEK in a Mason Jar and dunk away. @ 30 seconds and all the silicone/grease melts away ;-) Just remove any O-Rings and what not first since it will melt those too.

A buddy on another forum told me about MEK, and I've been using it ever since. You can find it in most hardware stores in the pain section (it's a thinner).
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Q-tips and rag
Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I use a little Tupperware bowl and electric mtot cleaner. I spray the parts and let them soak for a few. Then I take them out and they dry very fast. Wipe with rag and install.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotoGod
MEK is awesome for diff cleaning. Methyl Ethyl Ketone and a Tea Strainer. Slap your parts in the strainer....put some MEK in a Mason Jar and dunk away. @ 30 seconds and all the silicone/grease melts away ;-) Just remove any O-Rings and what not first since it will melt those too.

A buddy on another forum told me about MEK, and I've been using it ever since. You can find it in most hardware stores in the pain section (it's a thinner).

MEK is highly toxic! make sure you wear gloves and are in a well ventilated area if you use this crap. it works awesome but beware! It will strip your skin of oils just as fast as it removes grease. Long term exposure is well lets say not so long term due to the effects on the brain stem after time but have no fear blinking and breathing are highly over rated anyways. Depending on the sollution it can react with water violently as well. It is one of the many solvents that should not even be available to the public.

My father used to laugh about how in the electronics industry they would wash thier hands in it in the 70s'. he dont laugh so much about it anymore.

Keep it simple and safe there is no part of this hobby that is worth dealing with anything worse than the fuels we burn. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Iosol and a Tea dunker over here....IMO gear's need to be 100% clean before re-lubing...None of this wipe it out and re-fill business.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I use a little Tupperware bowl and electric mtot cleaner. I spray the parts and let them soak for a few. Then I take them out and they dry very fast. Wipe with rag and install.
+1