R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Novarossi FMS X-Dyno Results (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/402660-novarossi-fms-x-dyno-results.html)

Colt4g63 05-26-2010 07:30 PM

Novarossi FMS X-Dyno Results

I recently did some extensive testing with the Novarossi FMS engine. Here are the X-Dyno results Stock Vs AB Race Modification.

My over all thoughts:

Stock or Modified this is one hell of an engine. Very high quality as we have come to expect with Novarossi engines, tunes like a dream and gets pretty decent mileage to boot! This smooth power band makes for a very nice predictable track engine... All in all one hell of a Race Mill!!

Stock #s 1.55HP and 57.63 Oz/In

Race Modification #s 1.81HP and 66.30 Oz/In

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55...ModVsStock.jpg

Maximo 05-26-2010 07:34 PM

that thing has an awesome powercurve dude ! your modded engine carries over 50 oz/in from 18 000 RPM all the way past 30 000 RPM.....thats insane ! Great work Adam :)

Colt4g63 05-27-2010 06:44 PM

Thank you thank you there Neal. :) I got a lot of request to test the FMS so i finally got some time and did it to it. I must say it does have a nice delivery for track usage... very smooth yet very powerful and surprisingly good on fuel for the power output! :nod: Now i can go more aggressive with this engine and produce more power but then i would start getting into its fuel consumption. With this being a "Race Modification" that would be going backwards to what im trying to achieve here.

hambone 05-27-2010 07:21 PM

Very interesting Adam. I finally talked Ed into doing one for me and i agree it's a sweet engine. I'm surprised it drops off so much on top cuz mine revs like hell. I do get better topend with the RE10 pipe compared to the 9886/41021. No matter what track i'm on pitting after the 10 min mark with my truggy is a breeze.

Colt4g63 05-27-2010 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by hambone (Post 7465846)
Very interesting Adam. I finally talked Ed into doing one for me and i agree it's a sweet engine. I'm surprised it drops off so much on top cuz mine revs like hell. I do get better topend with the RE10 pipe compared to the 9886/41021. No matter what track i'm on pitting after the 10 min mark with my truggy is a breeze.

The dropping off some up in the HIGH rpm range can easily be changed with some alterations to this engine and a different pipe selection :sneaky: But with that being said it still pulls some high RPM power for an off road engine with it still being over 1.6HP at 30,000 RPM in this mild modified form and pipe selection used for this back to back testing. It also produces a very smooth and usable power curve with this pipe selection which i like. Now I didn't have a RE10 pipe here to test it with or i would have gave it a try to see how it reacted with the engine. From what your telling me and from EDs testing it sounds like the RE10 works very well with the FMS! :)

v1r killer 05-28-2010 02:29 AM

i am looking to forward to my motor ariving as all i hear is good things about it. i am currently running a 2060 pipe with nova long header and it is proving good on other motors just waiting to try it on this bad boy.:batman:

MadRussian 05-28-2010 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by v1r killer (Post 7466911)
i am looking to forward to my motor ariving as all i hear is good things about it. i am currently running a 2060 pipe with nova long header and it is proving good on other motors just waiting to try it on this bad boy.:batman:

The 2060 for me was horrid on the FMS

v1r killer 05-28-2010 08:35 AM

ok good to know i might just go straight to the 9886 pipe and header but my pipe copped a big knock in the side and not very repairable..bent stinger.:spidey:

MadRussian 05-28-2010 10:55 AM

I am running the 9853 SS and long header and its nice on my buggy.
But I am thinking about sending it to Adam now (like I need more power, lol) :sneaky::lol:

Colt4g63 05-31-2010 10:41 AM

As long as its smooth controllable power "which my modified FMS engines are" you can use it! :nod:

MadRussian 05-31-2010 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Colt4g63 (Post 7479365)
As long as its smooth controllable power "which my modified FMS engines are" you can use it! :nod:

BINGO!!
I have had engines that were light switches, faster than a freshman his first night in a cathouse but almost impossible to drive smoothly.
The power delivery is paramount! If done correctly, you can use an absurd amount of power, as long as teh bottom isnt too much in a buggy, which the FMS doesnt have the "death bottom" that sends you spinning out exiting a turn.
I love this engine, lol

maxflo777 02-24-2011 08:11 AM

Adam, nice performance curve! What was your setup? I can see the 9886 pipe and the 30% nitro, but what else? header/restrictor/fuel/shims? at least on the stock one... ;)

xe

Colt4g63 02-24-2011 10:26 AM

Stock was tested as the engine comes out of the box. Both stock and modified had a Novarossi 9886 pipe with a header from a Dynamite 086 on it and both used a 97T plug.

merdith6 02-24-2011 11:01 AM

It's awesome

The FMS is a great engine. I run it with the short header and 9853ss...It roosts dirt from all 4 tires....I love it....

maxflo777 02-24-2011 11:52 AM

Thanks guys.

Yeah its awesome, I have 2 of them, one is modded with a Picco 069 pipe and it's on my Losi, its incredible, I have it choked with a 5.5mm and still its fast as anything else, the other one is not touched yet, its new, just broken in, no play anywhere, I have it on a dnx408 with a 9853 pipe and a square short header, but it has a dead spot out of the hole (were it sounds kind of lean down low but its not - about a turn out on the LSN) after that 2 or 3 feet it has the common FMS power, running low 200's. I'm looking for setups because the other one has no lag anywhere in the curve.

I've used Nova #6 and O'd 97 plugs. I replaced the clutch springs in case they were engaging to early but its still there a bit. The other engine has none of this guess I'll just mod it and get the low grunt out of it the easy way. :lol: