Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interested in getting into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

extremely expensive. Can't say this enough. Just spent almost 200$ yesterday on outdrives and chassis and 60$ today on bearings, and i still need other stuff. That's the thing, there is ALWAYS something you need. and if you don't need anything, there is always something you want.

my fiance encouraged me into this hobby when i started. I promise you she regrets it now.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just to reinforce what everyone has said:

1) 1/10 nitro racing classes are dead. They don't exist any longer.

2) 1/8 scale is expensive. The absolute cheapest way to get a decent quality setup (decent car, decent radio, decent engine) is the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR package... and it still needs to have the steering servo moved to throttle and a better ($100+) steering servo installed. Figure with tools, batteries, etc about $900 to get started with the Losi.

You can get other cars for less... but they have lower quality engines, lower quality radios, use a pull start or roto start instead of a bumpstart, etc. You'll end up spending more in the long run with any other RTR. The Losi is the only one that really approaches "race ready."

3) Electric short course (both 2wd and 4wd) are VERY popular right now, a lot of fun to drive, and have the scale look you are looking for. 4wd will set you back about $200 more than 2wd, (and by the time you get everything you need, it WILL exceed the amount you listed) but the performance difference is worth it.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcdude236
in his post it sounds like he is lean on the nitro side of rc. If you dont want a car that flips a lot dont get a sc. They handle like crap compared to the buggies/truggies. Engr673 the problem with the associated is some places dont have the open class and they wont let the .28s run with the .21s. Quasimojo How much is the very very very max you will spend, than we can help you a little more, i see 400 but could you make it more?
It's not that I don't want a car that flips a lot, it's that I want to get good enough so that I can drive a SCT well enough that it doesn't. That said, I'm sure some are better than others, or at least offer a more tunable suspension.

I've been mulling this over, and I think that I could do some "horse trading" with stuff from various other hobbies and possibly push my budget to between $500 and $600. The more I think about it, the more I like the 1/8 scale.

I really like the SC8, but I'd hate to eliminate race opportunities right off the bat with a .28 engine.

Also, with regard to the Slayer, I notice it does not have reverse. Is that not a problem, or just more of a matter of preference? Are forward-only transmissions common?

Thanks for all the input. This is really helping me get my ducks in a row.