R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Help with throttle/brake linkage (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/402424-help-throttle-brake-linkage.html)

bevofrancis 05-26-2010 05:31 AM

Help with throttle/brake linkage

I have an rc8 and I can't fro the life of me get me brakes how I want them.
I should mention that I switched my linkage to the sportwerks linkage system after giving up on the rc8's.

I want my rear brakes to almost lock up and my front brakes to have just a little braking. I can't get this to work for anything.
Really I can't even get my front brakes to work without my rear brakes dragging.

I've adjusted my pads and done everything I can think of with the linkage.
If anyone has any advice on the best way to set up your brakes I would really appreciate it.

MotoGod 05-26-2010 05:48 AM

You should be able to tighten/loosen the linkage to get the braking action you want without much trouble. Got a pic of the linkage your running? If you put fuel line in there...maybe you cut it too long and it's nulling out your adjustments?

I have my braking opposite yours....my front is stronger than my rear, but brake bias should be easily set. If you're having issues....something is wrong. Have you checked your radio setup? Is the trim set to 0 on your Thr/Br servo?

bevofrancis 05-26-2010 08:28 AM

Maybe my throttle servo is just to weak. I checked and it's only 45g. I ordered another one the other day to replace my steering servo, and I'll just move my old steering to the throttle. The problem with my linkage is that whenever I set my back brakes strong, the servo wont pull far enough to even engage the front. It hits the tubing for the throttle and just stops completley.

I should have my order for my servo and engine come tommorow, so maybe I can figure out more after I see how a decent servo acts with it.

MotoGod 05-26-2010 09:08 AM

A weak servo will definitely throw off your braking. I run a JR 9100s on my Throttle and when I apply the brakes it pulls the linkage and crushes the fuel tubing until it reaches my EPA adjustment ;-) Nice strong brakes.

Hope it works out for ya....

bevofrancis 05-26-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MotoGod (Post 7458620)
A weak servo will definitely throw off your braking. I run a JR 9100s on my Throttle and when I apply the brakes it pulls the linkage and crushes the fuel tubing until it reaches my EPA adjustment ;-) Nice strong brakes.

Hope it works out for ya....

That's what I want to hear. Hopefully a new servo will fix everything. I've fought with the brakes since I got my buggy, and have never been able to get them how I want them.
I'm assuming a 110oz servo will be strong enough?

tc5 man 05-26-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by bevofrancis (Post 7459705)
That's what I want to hear. Hopefully a new servo will fix everything. I've fought with the brakes since I got my buggy, and have never been able to get them how I want them.
I'm assuming a 110oz servo will be strong enough?

it should be enough but not,n quite enough i would get at least a 128 oz torque servo for a 1/8 for throttle/brake.

MotoGod 05-26-2010 02:02 PM

110 oz\in should be sufficient for a buggy I would imagine, but most people go a tad higher.

bevofrancis 05-26-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MotoGod (Post 7459709)
110 oz\in should be sufficient for a buggy I would imagine, but most people go a tad higher.

I'm actually just moving my steering servo that came with my rc8 to throttle and brake control. I have a werks b5, 2013 pipe, and another servo on the way, along with some parts etc. A 119$ servo was a little high to add to the total. I plan on buying a really good steering servo in the future, but for now hopefully the ones I have will get me by.

I'm sure I'll see a big improvement over my 40oz servo that was in it before.

I wouldn't have started this thread, but I didn't even think about the servo being the problem until after I had started it.

Since people are replying though, what kind of rear to front brake ratio do most of you use.

It seems like most people put more on the front, but I've always tried(never really worked since I always had problem) to put most of mine on the rear so that I could turn under brake a little when need be.

MotoGod 05-26-2010 02:27 PM

I probably have my bias somewhere around 65F/35R or so if I had to guess. I can still flick it around corners if I need to...

omarwashington 05-26-2010 02:35 PM

about 60r/40f break bias

bevofrancis 05-26-2010 07:30 PM

Problem solved.
I hooked my steering servo up to my throttle and it crushed the fuel tubing on the brakes. I don't know why I didn't think of a weak servo being the problem all along. I should have known that an RTR throttle servo would'nt really get the job done.

Now I just hope my engine shows up tommorow and I get to try everything out. I've done some major upgrades in the last week or so. Big bore shock, werks B5 with pipe, new steering and throttle servo. It's going to be a completly different buggy when I hit the track the next time.