Will OS speed crank fit regular VZB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will OS speed crank fit regular VZB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Will OS speed crank fit regular VZB?

I have aquired a few of the VZB v-spec engines and one of them is in need of a crank. I found a good deal on a Speed crankshaft but before i bought it i wanted to make sure that it would fit. If it does, what else will work from the speed edition motor?
Thanks
-Will
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes it will...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i do believe that the speed edition is the same block they have the same bearing sizes so it would work as i see it
Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

sorry bout the double post...computer glitch...please delete...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

You have to use a speed rod, or a JX rod with the speed crank. Standard vspec rod doesnt have an oiling hole, cause the rod bushing is oiled through a oiling hole in the crank, the speed crank doesnt have an oiling hole, cause the crank pin/rod bushing are oiled through the rod.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by scoobie1
You have to use a speed rod, or a JX rod with the speed crank. Standard vspec rod doesnt have an oiling hole, cause the rod bushing is oiled through a oiling hole in the crank, the speed crank doesnt have an oiling hole, cause the crank pin/rod bushing are oiled through the rod.
good info to know
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

So, speed crank + speed rod and it should be good to go. Thanks fine cause i was gonna replace the rod too. Do i have to use the piston/sleeve from a speed or will the original work? Will the speed setup work?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lomax
So, speed crank + speed rod and it should be good to go. Thanks fine cause i was gonna replace the rod too. Do i have to use the piston/sleeve from a speed or will the original work? Will the speed setup work?
You could use all speed parts if you wanted. The only thing you have to do is use the speed rod with a speed crank. All other parts are interchangeable.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

You can use the speed piston/sleeve, but at that point youre approaching some pretty steep cost...you might be better off spending that coin on a new Speed, then after you wear the speed out (10+ gallons) if you feel like it, you could use the parts to build a 'franken-spec'...
Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

You can use the speed piston/sleeve, but at that point youre approaching some pretty steep cost...you might be better off spending that coin on a new Speed, then after you wear the speed out (10+ gallons) if you feel like it, you could use the parts to build a 'franken-spec'...
well that depends what shape the block is in inspect closely for any cracks on the bottom of the case if its fine then build a speed with it you will have a better motor if you are particular about your assembley and make sure everything is spotless use ceramic bearings. all new moving parts = new motor really. I usually pull the backing plate and inspect my new motors making sure nothing from manufacturing is inside motor. you would already have that done
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

7.5 gallons on my oldest speed engine and just one set of bearings at 5 gallons (my fault I ran it hot a couple mains 300 degrees for 30 mins is not good for bearings). It still pushes my truggy around with ease.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

So so so sorry. Thread diving in progress. I've been looking to improve the VZ-B V-spec engines i got, and i have been snooping around trying to confirm that the parts are in fact compatible throughout the models.
I was fairly certain, and decided a while back that i would get myself a new conrod, and a cylinder / piston kit. Money issues have stopped me from going nuts quite yet, and then this thread showed up in my google search. It confirms what i suspected, and brings another item in to the picture. scoobie1 mentioned a "JX rod".

Don't tell me... The Ninja JX ? Let me guess, it's not just a "copy" but a clone of the VZ-B, and pretty much every part fits from there to? Could the Ninja crank be a "middle ground", better then the stock, but less expensive then the VZ-B Speed crank? (I'm assuming since the Ninja JX crank is just machined, it's not going to be quite as fun as the speed crank.)
Or am i better of just grabbing a multitool, and scooping the stock crank, and leave it at that...?

I'm sorry if it ended up being a mouthful, and i do ask you forgive my poor linguistics. This is written just b4 midnight, but as if that wasn't enough, i'm also writing it in Sweden. English is my second language, so do forgive me for... uh, any odd language.

Oh. And hi. First post. If your nice to me, I'll stick around. ;- )
B!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Speed or JX crank will transform a v-spec.

Last edited by JAMMINKRAZY; 04-29-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Adept

I take that as a answer to a multiple of my questions. The quick, and easy way to answer them.

1 It is indeed the Ninja JX that is referred to as "JX". (Hey, i wasn't all that behind after all)
2 The Ninja JX crank would be a worthy middle ground to a V-spec. (and at a price just above that of the stock V-Spec crank. Not bad.)

My V-spec's have the "21C" carb, anyone know if it would be worthwhile to replace them with the ninja or speed version counterparts? (pretty much not going to happen unless i actually wear a carb out, or damage it, but still)

Thank you for the fast response.
B!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr B
I take that as a answer to a multiple of my questions. The quick, and easy way to answer them.

1 It is indeed the Ninja JX that is referred to as "JX". (Hey, i wasn't all that behind after all)
2 The Ninja JX crank would be a worthy middle ground to a V-spec. (and at a price just above that of the stock V-Spec crank. Not bad.)

My V-spec's have the "21C" carb, anyone know if it would be worthwhile to replace them with the ninja or speed version counterparts? (pretty much not going to happen unless i actually wear a carb out, or damage it, but still)

Thank you for the fast response.
B!
The ninja JX and v-spec parts are pretty much all compatible. The JX crank is a very nice crank. As you said, it doesn't have the metal slugs, but it is DLC coated, and silicone filled. It is indeed a great upgrade from the v-spec crank. The Speed crank will be a bit smoother, but other than that, the JX crank and speed crank should preform and last almost identically.

I would say the 21J carb would be a worthwhile upgrade. They can be found for about 50 USD on ebay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.