Wiki Posts
Search

Poking holes in tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys...just put some new tires in my sc104x4....used a leather punch to put 2 holes 180 degrees apart...
When I run the car with wheels on my bench, the tires balloon still at full throttle...I have taped the holes shut in the rims.

Is this normal?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lip
Guys...just put some new tires in my sc104x4....used a leather punch to put 2 holes 180 degrees apart...
When I run the car with wheels on my bench, the tires balloon still at full throttle...I have taped the holes shut in the rims.

Is this normal?

Thanks.
I don't think that putting holes in the tires is supposed to prevent ballooning while you rev it on the bench. It is just so the tires can absorb bumps in the track by releasing air rather then just bouncing.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OFFroadrunner
It is just so the tires can absorb bumps in the track by releasing air rather then just bouncing.
And to let dirt escape.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OFFroadrunner
I don't think that putting holes in the tires is supposed to prevent ballooning while you rev it on the bench. It is just so the tires can absorb bumps in the track by releasing air rather then just bouncing.
Makes sense.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by AmmoJammo
I don't care how much you pansy your cars around.

if I damaged the structural integrity of my tyres, I WOULD shred them.

how on earth do you figure that making a hole in the rim is worse than making a hole in the tyre?
You really need to do your homework. That's OLD SCHOOL way of thinking.
Making vent holes in tires ONLY is the way to go.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stryker48
You really need to do your homework. That's OLD SCHOOL way of thinking.
Making vent holes in tires ONLY is the way to go.
You do realize that you responded to a almost 5 year old post, from a guy who hasn't been on the forum for close to 3 years?

I'm not saying that the topic is dead and buried, but perhaps one should pick their fights with people who are around to defend them self?
B!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you put holes in the tires they WILL balloon. This is what they ARE supposed to do. If you don't have holes and you have a good glue they will only minimally balloon. I have heard the reason behind the holes is to gain more top speed on the straights and to help with the tires coming unglued. When the tires balloon they have a larger diameter, this means a higher top speed. If any of you have ran your buggies on road with street tires, have you noticed that the dynamite and losi shorter tires seem to be quicker than the proline road rage or other taller tires? Have you also noticed that at the ends of the straights the larger tires have a higher top speed?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the tires are already mounted you can make x's with scissors or use the leather punch and don't worry about two holes in the foam unless you have the old school molded foams.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default one hole

My AKA I-Beam pre-mounts came with one (1) hole just off center of the tread. Figuring AKA knows what its doing, that's what I went with mounting up two other sets of 1/8 tires.

Extravagant for me, but bought one of AKA's tire punches for the future. The AKA holes measured at 2.0mm if that means anything. Figure that's their 'standard'?

Also, contacted Panther before venting the set of clay compound 'Rattler's. They had no opinion on it and replied venting the tire or the rim was an individual decision. So for me, one 2.0mm hole just off center of tread is what I'm going with for now.

'AC'

Last edited by AHR43; 03-08-2015 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add hole size
Old 03-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Lets explain it like this

If you have no holes or 1 hole or even just 2 holes there is not enough venting for the tires to actually expand/contract with ease and use the density of the foam instead it will use the air trapped inside for that brief time and the tires will be less effective ,especially on landings from jumps.

IMO and many fast guys , 4 holes are the norm ,big holes as well

Hope this makes sense
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Another point in favor to holes in tires not rims, if you glue your own tires and reuse rims, putting the hole in the rim usually leads to them breaking, i used to put holes in rims and nearly every set, especially after their 2nd set of rubber, started to crack where the hole was.