Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
This engine look "reconditioned" to you? >

This engine look "reconditioned" to you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This engine look "reconditioned" to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

I have a Nova 21-5 like new engine with pipe. Plenty of compression only 27gal on it but it runs like it was new..... $100......

NEVER buy used engines.........
Old 05-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

It just looks to me that the piston top and button have been on the buffing wheel. It looks way deeper than just detonation pitting. As far as buying used it just depends on the sellers integrety as well. I have bought some excellent used motors and sold some as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
Yeah, it just looks like it has a BUNCH of something on there, but not pits. Wipe that thing down.

In the 2nd pic the piston looks clean. Again, I think it just needs to be cleaned up a bit.
button area that goes inside the piston and the piston top were both wiped before the photo. It's pitted.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I had a 528X that looked like that after the rear bearing took a dump. Maybe the reason it had a different bearing in it. ?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Revo-lution
"Horse sh...". I've bought several used Nova's and they were in great shape. The seller makes the description, not the engine. I have always ran the same engine in practice that I run on race day, but always used a "previously used" cheap version of my $350 race engine to practice with so I buy used Nova's for mid week practices and have since 2006 or so. This is the first one that has shown up with crater valley on top of it. There are plenty of honest sellers selling good engines.
I never tried to say that all used engines are crap, I was merely saying that when youre buying a used engine youre taking a huge risk.
Engines are very sensitive and theres alot of people out there who doesnt know how to properly maintain an RC nitro engine.
Also its fairly easy to ripp someone off by selling an engine that looks great on the outside but theres no telling what it looks like on the inside until you try to start it.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
having pics or video of the product is proof of some what description but still imo there are so many motors in the market that yoj can buy new w/a pipe in a price range of $199-$250 ..why buy a used one? these motors don't come with carfaxes..lol
You may be right.....but....a Novarossi isn't one of them.

I needed a mill before the PNBIII,my P5s were a lil' long in the tooth and my pockets weren't full so after me and Dewayne talked about it for days,I bought a JL21 Pro. 180.00 motor that absolutely screams. So now,after 2 gallons it doesn't miss a lick and runs with every big buck mill around. I am happy with it and will probably but another.

Back to subject....Why tell a lie when its gonna bite you in the ass as soon as the break the motor down? Have you ever just put a motor on and ran it without breaking it down to clean it good before you start it?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lilja
I never tried to say that all used engines are crap, I was merely saying that when youre buying a used engine youre taking a huge risk.
Engines are very sensitive and theres alot of people out there who doesnt know how to properly maintain an RC nitro engine.
Also its fairly easy to ripp someone off by selling an engine that looks great on the outside but theres no telling what it looks like on the inside until you try to start it.
absolutley true. If i ever sell a engine, i will have inside and outside photos. I actually have one that looks pretty bad on the outside, but inside is brand new everything.

I would probably include a video as well. I take great care of my motors. And I would want a fair price for my good motor.

If its is beyond a rebuild people should let you know that it is for parts only.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

This engine has recently been re-pinched by RayAracing, where the sleeve, piston and button were re-conditioned. The engine has a tight pinch and needs to be broken in. The engine has a new clutch and flywheel set up on it and it is ready for install. I am also including the matched novarossi tuned exhaust.
Photos fits description.

It is normal for used engine to look like in the photos.
Give it a try.........it might be still good.

After all, Rayaracing did sell some decent 2nd hand engine out there. Most use them as their 2nd engine. Afterall, Novarossi engine are better than Taiwanese made. And have long life P/L
Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Well, I just bought a used Novarossi N21BF from a fellow forum member, "jmaxey51". He seems honest about everything and he did include a video. He says it has right at 1 gal on it. Broke engine in and raced it one main. He had like 3 pictures he emailed me. It looks good. I just hope its a good engine and not one like you guys are showing.....

got it for $85 shipped with 2 new Odonnell 99 plugs.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by king offroad
Photos fits description.

It is normal for used engine to look like in the photos.
Lol, no offense but remind me not to buy any engines from you. I raced my actual main Nova engine a whole season and barely more than discoloration on top, much less physical damage.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

yeah, looks like someone forgot about putting a airfilter on. Or running it incredibly lean with bad fuel. I have never had one pit on my pistons. Ever. I religously read my plugs. Usually a couple times during a day. If it is too dry, i richen it a hour or two. Sound, sight and temps will only take you so far. Gotta have a look inside.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Look at the button and or lack of head shims - I can see this motor detonating like crazy. I know a misconception of these motors - people believe that if you remove the shims / a shim - it makes the engine faster - it will raise the compression - but not necessarily the performance. Looks like something went south in the engine and someone tried to clean it up to get a fast buck.

I've bought used engines in the past but never got what I thought I was buying. I like to rebuild my engines and take great care of them. I have loaned my backup engines to fellow racers in the past and sold one - but really the only reason I would buy a used motor is for the parts and not for the mill.

I would mic the crank pin inspect the bearings very closely. Take a look at the rod bushings as well and mic them if you can.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

didn't notice that before. No head shims, unless he took them off. some people do not realize that the silver shim is also a gasket, head gasket to be more specific. So if he ran it like that, not only would it pre detonate like crazy, but it is probably sucking dirt. WHo knows. don't go messing with the sqish band. Not a very good idea.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

You can quit guessing..... It's the main bearing chrome coming off and pitting it. Main was pretty loose.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Depends on where the "used" mills come from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.